• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Voice your thought processes

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I can read functions all day, but I would like to get a real idea of what the thought processes are behind certain MBTI types. So voice your thought processes. For example, I believe that I am an ENTP, and could be ENFP. For example, here an INTJ user described her use of the function....

In my own words, I would say Ni is a lens of perspective.
It's about looking inwards and reflecting on how something is the product of of someone(s) past actions, looking at what it is today, or contemplate on what it might mean in the future. For example an Ne might look at a measuring cup and think "hmm, sure this can used to measure ingredients, but if I want to get creative I could use it as a hat, a holder to hold my pens, a vase to hold my flowers etc." Ne wants to find ways to use a measuring cup outside the conventional way of measuring food ingredients.

Ni on the other hand, would look at that same measuring cup and think, "this measuring cup is used to measure food ingredients, which in the past was the domain of woman since they were expected to carry on domestic duties. Yet today both men and women are expected to take share in such duties, so now this measuring cup is not a symbol of oppression but rather equality. Also notice how this measuring cup is only using the metric system even though I am not American. The measuring cup can also be a symbol of American capitalism and dominance, since it uses a measuring system no other country is using". Ni is not interested in manipulating the cup in any way like Ne, but rather sees how the cup is the product and symbol of different thoughts and movements (feminism, capitalism etc.)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Gather facts and observation to back up previously conceived theories and verify them with the objective data and evidence, whatever functions those are because I am personality illiterate.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Erm....

I look at things. After looking at them for a while whatever 'they' may be, whether intangible thoughts and ideas or more solid objects of the material realm; I then find myself caught by the ones that most caught my attention and I go over and over them, unable to resist their pull.

Whether they caught me through an emotional resonance or one of speculative reasoning is hard to determine, since what does catch the attention cannot be sensed before it occurs. What I do know is I repeat it over and over in my mind, looking at it and obsessing over it. It is always in a linear manner of course, a rather left brained tendency if you will, steps following on from each other but sometimes almost too fast to follow.

I find myself drawn towards inconsistancies which leap out bright red in the minds eye. But I also find myself drawn to things of personal truth, which are true only by my own reckoning of them but this is a reckoning I constantly question and compare in relation to others own reckonings. Things which lack this truth are not thrown out however, but are considered, because inconsideration of something merely because it doesn't fit is irrational and abhorrent to my way of thinking.
In this way I often spend either far too much time in speculation, or far too much time letting others grab my attention and influencing me out of my comfort zone which I dont wish to lose and yet I dont want to put myself too far above others.

Unfortunately it is this very speculation that makes me painfully aware of my shortcomings, my lack of creativity and my uncertainty about the future. But I dont wish to turn away from such dark thoughts, I feel I should face them head on and so either defeat them or accept them, but never ignore them or else they shall creep up on me in the darkness of my moods and stifle me, pushing me down on the see-saw of the mind and creating something archaic from the unconscious which will lash out with unjustified fury.

Im also one for constant double-checking, in that I rarely feel natural in my reactions and judgements, but this self-control is far from being a superficial personification as it stems from a natural motive of goodwill towards others and from my point of view strikes me as truely pure in it's conception.

But then again...everything is a balance to me and I try not to lose myself as im giving it out. What is certain is that I may never be sure of the truth of myself and people both see and do not see me as I am guarded in my interactions....maybe one day I wont be and I shall work towards that day.

TLDR = I have an overly convoluted thought process that has nothing to do with intelligence, full of second guesses and insecurities. Nevertheless I wish to find solutions and understand possibilites because I am good at neither.

Last edited:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Essentially all of my thinking lies on the root foundation of "everything is connected" - I figured this out long before I encountered typology. From this, it is easy to proceed outwardly, and to surf the waves of connections and patterns. I am particularly attentive to "atmospheres" -- sort of big-picture feelings -- almost an aesthetic sense. I enjoy thinking about the future and myriad possibilities, but I have a difficult time narrowing down options and deciding what things will be the best for me on a personal level. I enjoy logic as it is applied to external structure, categorization, and organization, but do not find it particularly useful in dealing with inner thoughts and feelings.

For example an Ne might look at a measuring cup and think "hmm, sure this can used to measure ingredients, but if I want to get creative I could use it as a hat, a holder to hold my pens, a vase to hold my flowers etc." Ne wants to find ways to use a measuring cup outside the conventional way of measuring food ingredients.

Right, basically. That would be elementary Ne as applied in real-world problem solving. In a more sophisticated thought line, Ne (at least the way I process) would look at a measuring cup and explode it into multiple lines of thinking, including glass -> reflection -> water -> ocean -> nature -> universe -> ultimate reality ; solidity -> forms -> Plato -> philosophy -> ultimate reality ; metric system -> ways of measurement -> manmade measures -> human systems to understand reality -> ultimate reality ; etc. All thought lines grow increasingly larger, expanding to the largest imaginable whole.

Last edited:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Right, basically. That would be elementary Ne as applied in real-world problem solving. In a more sophisticated thought line, Ne (at least the way I process) would look at a measuring cup and explode it into multiple lines of thinking, including glass -> reflection -> water -> ocean -> nature -> universe -> ultimate reality ; solidity -> forms -> Plato -> philosophy -> ultimate reality ; metric system -> ways of measurement -> manmade measures -> human systems to understand reality -> ultimate reality ; etc. All thought lines grow increasingly larger, expanding to the largest imaginable whole.
I posted this in my blog a while back in relation to Ne thinking. I think it really exemplifies it. Try it out!

125851_700b.jpg

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I first focus on the consistency of the basic idea. Then I nitpick and play devil's advocate against the very idea that I've already agreed with. Then I run unlikely simulations in my mind to see if I can find exceptions to the rule. Then I deconstruct things to bits in order to understand each variable at play. Then I go back and make the model more simple and manageable.
Then I'm unstoppable. :greatscott::truthy:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I posted this in my blog a while back in relation to Ne thinking. I think it really exemplifies it. Try it out!

125851_700b.jpg

:rofl1: Awesome.

Try 1. Nikola Tesla -> Serbian American -> Citizenship -> International law -> Legal systems -> System -> Element (mathematics) -> Mathematics -> Quantity -> Property -> Modern philosophy -> Philosophy

Try 2. Ideas of Reference -> Psyopus -> Mathcore -> Metalcore -> Heavy metal music -> Rock music -> Popular music -> Musical genre -> The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians -> Encyclopedic dictionary -> Art -> Visual arts -> Art -> Visual arts -> LOOP :O

Ne-Te loop. :laugh:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:rofl1: Awesome.

Try 1. Nikola Tesla -> Serbian American -> Citizenship -> International law -> Legal systems -> System -> Element (mathematics) -> Mathematics -> Quantity -> Property -> Modern philosophy -> Philosophy

Try 2. Ideas of Reference -> Psyopus -> Mathcore -> Metalcore -> Heavy metal music -> Rock music -> Popular music -> Musical genre -> The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians -> Encyclopedic dictionary -> Art -> Visual arts -> Art -> Visual arts -> LOOP :O

Ne-Te loop. :laugh:
Yeah, very occasionally you get the loops. I never thought of them as Ne-Te loops, but you're right :D

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends on what needs to be done but I tend to ask and answer questions to myself. "What is the point?" "Does this make sense?" "How/When/What" "If that, then this. Let's try it." "If this, then that. Let's try it." I use a lot of inductive and deductive reasoning.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically I read or observe something (i.e., data collection). as I'm collecting data, my mind is noting what seems to be out of place with it, from (1) a perspective I think is logical and (2) from the model that the writer/communicator is using, a model I am replicating from their data as I proceed.

Everything gets tagged and noted. The processes are occurring simultaneously. meanwhile, another task is added to list -- my running assessment of potential issues with what is being contributed, what's wrong with it, and how it could be changed to potentially be correct.

Another task that is running is "Did I read this correctly?" where I'm trying alternate interpretations of the data I'm collecting to see if something there is coherent or whether those alternate interpretations also are faulty. (i.e., a checksum mechanism.)

Detail that I can't find a connection for in any of these processes is tossed as irrelevant, meaning i can then focus on the more relevant information. While this can occasionally lead to overlooking something, the payoff is that I can process much faster by "fuzzy logicking" with just the stuff that is relevant.

Again, it's all happening at once, I don't do it linearly, I'm multitasking from one task to the next and back through, and balancing it all in my head. What it takes in sheer processing power it provides in terms of large-scale coherence of the ideas being presented and what their flaws/strengths are in the big picture.

Which basically means I do really well with assimilating the gist of whatever I'm examining, understanding the framework being presented, and I do it fast. However, I can lose track of details (since I'm just focused on the concept the details represent and tend to just store the concepts long-term).

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe this is my weak Si.. I'm trying to confirm it:

[Wandering around a neighborhood.]
"Wow, I have no idea where the hell I am. None of this looks familiar. I better turn back. Wait, where did I come from? Okay, I've done this before.. I'll just chill and use the force."
[Follows weak impulses and strange vibrations]
"There is no way that should have logically worked, but I found my way back, as always."

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I often start with a "why?" (if someone else has initiated) or a "ooo that's interesting" if i am initiating. I will then go on to researching, sometimes to back up an abstract idea that i have not fully formed and sometimes because i want to know everything about it and how it relates to everything else.
The problem with this is i often do not have a real working objective or summary... just things leading to other things. Though i also have a tendancy to stop (once i feel i have gathered enough info) or i just move on to other interesting ideas/things organically.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I often start with a "why?" (if someone else has initiated) or a "ooo that's interesting" if i am initiating. I will then go on to researching, sometimes to back up an abstract idea that i have not fully formed and sometimes because i want to know everything about it and how it relates to everything else.
The problem with this is i often do not have a real working objective or summary... just things leading to other things. Though i also have a tendancy to stop (once i feel i have gathered enough info) or i just move on to other interesting ideas/things organically.

Ive always imagined your mind to be like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4&ob=av3n

And then you fly in on a magic....erm diamond!!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I first focus on the consistency of the basic idea. Then I nitpick and play devil's advocate against the very idea that I've already agreed with. Then I run unlikely simulations in my mind to see if I can find exceptions to the rule. Then I deconstruct things to bits in order to understand each variable at play. Then I go back and make the model more simple and manageable.
Then I'm unstoppable. :greatscott::truthy:

lol, I do the simulations too. Is this Ne or Ti that does the simulations?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where does Ti come into play?
Mostly: