User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

Results 231 to 240 of 300

  1. #231
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Yeah see in the OP's link the people typed there never actually took a self-assessment. It's unreliable data thus nothing can be said yet about whether Ns are correlated to high IQ so why go on and on as if there some measurable reliable data to reference?

  2. #232
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Yeah see in the OP's link the people typed there never actually took a self-assessment. It's unreliable data thus nothing can be said yet about whether Ns are correlated to high IQ so why go on and on as if there some measurable reliable data to reference?
    Your point was already refuted.
    Why do you keep repeating the same flawed argument?

    I'd be more than happy discussing something else though.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  3. #233
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Your point was already refuted.
    Why do you keep repeating the same flawed argument?

    I'd be more than happy discussing something else though.
    I see no evidence how the info in that link qualifies as credible data. I only agreed with you that theoretically actual MBTI data and IQ data can be correlated. The problem is there is no actual data. Anyways. We'll leave it at that.

  4. #234
    Senior Member reckful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Just about all of it is armchair guessing based on some stereotypical questions that have not been tested for thoroughness or reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Additionally, I'd love it if MBTI "Ns" were actually correlated with high IQ. I only stand to gain there. But I'm not going to make up data.
    Just "armchair guessing" based on "questions that have not been tested for thoroughness or reliability"?

    Personality psychologists working in the respectable districts of the field have been validating typologies by means of psychometric analysis of suitably large samples for many years now. McCrae & Costa (the leading Big Five psychologists) long ago acknowledged that the MBTI's dichotomies (unlike Jung's original concepts) basically passed muster by modern standards, and a very large meta-review and supplemental study in 2003 found that the MBTI was more or less on a par with the Big Five in the validity and reliability departments.

    And there's more discussion of those kinds of issues on this TC Wiki page if you're interested.

    And speaking of large-sample studies, and for what it's worth, here's a study of 5,700 gifted adolescents where the self-selection ratios for the types (i.e., the ratio of their percentage among the gifted population to their percentage of the general population) were as follows:

    INTP 3.4
    INTJ 2.87
    INFP 2.68
    INFJ 2.67
    ENTP 2.32
    ENFP 2.03
    ENTJ 1.49
    ENFJ 1.26
    ISTJ 0.99
    ISTP 0.78
    ESTP 0.49
    ISFJ 0.40
    ISFP 0.40
    ESFP 0.28
    ESTJ 0.26
    ESFJ 0.24

    That's what validity looks like, ZNP — and validity is what separates the respectable districts of the personality psychology field from astrology. The way the 16 types fall along the spectrum in that study strongly indicates that an N preference has the strongest influence on whether a child will be "gifted" in one or more of the ways (including IQ) defined in the studies included in that meta-review, and introversion has a significant (but less strong) influence.

  5. #235
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    Just "armchair guessing" based on "questions that have not been tested for thoroughness or reliability"?

    Personality psychologists working in the respectable districts of the field have been validating typologies by means of psychometric analysis of suitably large samples for many years now. McCrae & Costa (the leading Big Five psychologists) long ago acknowledged that the MBTI's dichotomies (unlike Jung's original concepts) basically passed muster by modern standards, and a very large meta-review and supplemental study in 2003 found that the MBTI was more or less on a par with the Big Five in the validity and reliability departments.

    And there's more discussion of those kinds of issues on this TC Wiki page if you're interested.

    And speaking of large-sample studies, and for what it's worth, here's a study of 5,700 gifted adolescents where the self-selection ratios for the types (i.e., the ratio of their percentage among the gifted population to their percentage of the general population) were as follows:

    INTP 3.4
    INTJ 2.87
    INFP 2.68
    INFJ 2.67
    ENTP 2.32
    ENFP 2.03
    ENTJ 1.49
    ENFJ 1.26
    ISTJ 0.99
    ISTP 0.78
    ESTP 0.49
    ISFJ 0.40
    ISFP 0.40
    ESFP 0.28
    ESTJ 0.26
    ESFJ 0.24

    That's what validity looks like, ZNP — and validity is what separates the respectable districts of the personality psychology field from astrology. The way the 16 types fall along the spectrum in that study strongly indicates that an N preference has the strongest influence on whether a child will be "gifted" in one or more of the ways (including IQ) defined in the studies included in that meta-review, and introversion has a significant (but less strong) influence.
    Excellent. Good stuff. This is far more informative than the OP's main article. I'll take the time to look through it. Thanks for the info! Thanks for understanding what I was asking for.

  6. #236
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Double post

  7. #237
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    I see no evidence how the info in that link qualifies as credible data. I only agreed with you that theoretically actual MBTI data and IQ data can be correlated. The problem is there is no actual data. Anyways. We'll leave it at that.
    Yes we'll leave it at: you were wrong.
    I'm ok with that.

    Also your whole point was that the two cannot be correlated. That is a wholy different issue than "how much correlation there is".

    I understand you'd try and win an argument by changing it and making it seem like you've been misunderstood. However when the argument is in written form it's a bit of a weak way to try and wriggle out of being plain wrong.

    I think @reckful did a splendid job presenting a summarized version of an answer to "how much correlation there is". I'll refer you to his post.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  8. #238
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    To @reckful (will delete it soon) as you rascal wont accept PMs.
    It's well known you cant just make an entp shut up that way.

    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  9. #239
    Undisciplined Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,628

    Default

    ENTP 2.32
    ENFP 2.03
    wtf? @EcK

  10. #240
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Yes we'll leave it at: you were wrong.
    I'm ok with that.

    Also your whole point was that the two cannot be correlated. That is a wholy different issue than "how much correlation there is".

    I understand you'd try and win an argument by changing it and making it seem like you've been misunderstood. However when the argument is in written form it's a bit of a weak way to try and wriggle out of being plain wrong.

    I think @reckful did a splendid job presenting a summarized version of an answer to "how much correlation there is". I'll refer you to his post.
    Yeah, I was wrong. So what? I didn't try to 'wiggle out' of anything since I already quoted myself and retracted a statement I made. Not sure where you're getting this impression that I am too disagreeable to reason with. Since when do you, as an ENTP, get annoyed by someone that is skeptical?

    You can't seriously sit here and tell me that the OP's link was any kind of credible data. Apparently you pride yourself as highly intelligent so tap into that and understand why it's reasonable to be skeptical of the "data" that was initially provided.

    My understanding was you were using that data to make all these claims that Ns are smarter than Ss which was the real focus of my skepticism. Winning arguments for the sake of pride really doesn't matter to me(that's ENTJ land) rather I'm a natural skeptic and challenge peoples' assertions to see if the thinking is sound and the evidence adds up.
    @reckful understood my argument and provided exactly what I was looking for (you didn't though). Now stop jerking him off because he did the work and found something credible and you didn't.

Similar Threads

  1. How Animals are Smarter than Some Humans
    By Mal12345 in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM
  2. [NT] People who are smarter than you
    By animenagai in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 11:03 PM
  3. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 07:49 PM
  4. How many Ns are in general population ?
    By Chloe in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
  5. [MBTItm] Why Fs are smarter than Ts
    By Martian Manifesto in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO