• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ns are smarter than Ss?!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There isn't really much more to MBTI than surface level dude.
If you make any set of questions even weakly related to personality large enough, and make enough groups you'll have pretty 'good' descriptors of 'groups' corresponding to their respective sets of preferences.

The mbti isn't bad, it's a useful tool but only to a fraction of the population - ie people who have strong enough preferences to strongly fit into a type , however it's not precise enough to be of much use to ppl who are 'borderline" (lets say near 50% I/E and near 50% P/J) - in which case they might as well read the horscope.

I actually agree with all of this. I do think the way mbti is actually utilized by the 'real world' (ie outside of any internet forum) - tests, understanding of it by the general populace, and so on - is pretty clearcut. The tests are either/or, you choose one, you get a type. And it does end up being superficial the way it is applied. I mean we're putting humanity into 16 buckets - how could it be anything but superficial / generic? Superficially, I'd be an N, I believe. The way things are discussed on the forum, though, things get a lot more nuanced, and it's why I changed my type a while back. Now I really just don't care and the reality is that I do think I fall into your category of being borderline on at least two, if not three, elements. For me, the whole system is extremely useless for my own understanding of self - even how others see me. So I 100% agree with it only being a truly useful tool for a % of the population. :yes: And I'd add, just the conceptual concepts of differing ways of going about things / cognition can be useful --- it's the application that fails for a lot of folks though.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From this what is written I can say that you are some Si and Te. My guess is INFP (Fi-Si) but will also get into account ISTJ ( Si-Fi ) GREY. ;)

Note: favorite color is not related to types but it can help in some cases. Grey as calm color represent reflection of successful Te (black) and innocent Fi (white) is usually related to E4 or E5 or E1. ;)

my favorite color is Yellow :p but I am a core E1

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
And of course your little reference isn't sullied with a clear definition of "giftedness", just some vague references to "academic achievement", which at least in the U.S. usually means you are good at standardized tests.

So your argument is.. that your totally baseless counterfactual statement somehow defeats my bare showing of a thread of evidence already making your arguments very improbable because it doesn't meet your Newtonian standards for evidence - same standard which you didn't bother applying to your own claims. Am I following you so far :coffee: ?

Just, this time, at least wait a good week before I get another 'mysterious infraction', people might get suspicious after a while :laugh: just tryin' to help.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
don't worry [MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION]... I'll infract you and it won't be a mystery at all :newwink:

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From this what is written I can say that you are some Si and Te. My guess is INFP (Fi-Si) but will also get into account ISTJ ( Si-Fi ) GREY. ;)

Note: favorite color is not related to types but it can help in some cases. Grey as calm color represent reflection of successful Te (black) and innocent Fi (white) is usually related to E4 or E5 or E1. ;)

Thanks. I've met a lot of fellow INFPs at my arm wrestling club. :)

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I actually agree with all of this. I do think the way mbti is actually utilized by the 'real world' (ie outside of any internet forum) - tests, understanding of it by the general populace, and so on - is pretty clearcut. The tests are either/or, you choose one, you get a type. And it does end up being superficial the way it is applied. I mean we're putting humanity into 16 buckets - how could it be anything but superficial / generic? Superficially, I'd be an N, I believe. The way things are discussed on the forum, though, things get a lot more nuanced, and it's why I changed my type a while back. Now I really just don't care and the reality is that I do think I fall into your category of being borderline on at least two, if not three, elements. For me, the whole system is extremely useless for my own understanding of self - even how others see me. So I 100% agree with it only being a truly useful tool for a % of the population. :yes: And I'd add, just the conceptual concepts of differing ways of going about things / cognition can be useful --- it's the application that fails for a lot of folks though.

Well the thing about any self assessment at the end of the day is that some traits are going to be perceptually skewed towards what ppl intuit as 'intelligence' - so to a degree (though not fully) the N trait questions are asking you 'are you smart'. So it's in no way as reliable as an IQ test but there's certainly a correlation between the two.

like ya know 'do you see the apple or do you see gravity' - to give an archetypical example. But there's no reason to assume that it's ONLY this. of course. Usually people just take statistics personally for some strange reason - which isn't really a tribute to their intelligence but .. alas - a lost battle to try and teach adults about actually understanding basic math/common sense - if they don't get it at 14 they won't get it.

the MBTI is NOT BAD i'd say but it doesn't have the power of a BIG 5 for example. I think much of the criticism of MBTI is basically due to the 'borderline cases' - it's just not good enough at dealing with gradiants. It's like a test that gives you either 50 or 150 iq, 4 or 7 feet, polygamorous to the extreme or 100% monogamous one partner for life etc. ultimately if you get enough of these together you'll end up with descriptions that are actually useful - esp if you choose traits that are actually relevant to personality (the mbti does).

What the MBTI doesn't do as well as the big 5 is mh, i don't know the 'technical term for it' but it makes sense to me.. so basically if you throw say 300 statements related to personality. then u create statistical clusters based on relative levels of correlation between these statements... well what you get at the end is not the MBTI it's the big 5. That's why the big 5 is a better tool for researchers etc. to give a simple image it's as if if u looked to find the smallest amount of useful clusters you'd get say 5 clusters of 0.5 correlation with various measures (life outcomes, rate of anti depressant, health, size of social circle etc. etc. ) and the mbti would be 4 groupings of say a 0.35 correlation. Still useful but not as powerful.

So with weaker predictive power and a binary yes/no interpretation rather than gradiants for it's personality archetypes (types) it's bound to be weak at the knees (ie: ppl who dont have hvery clear preferences) while still useful for individuals with moderatly strong 'leanings' in any of the 4 binomes of aspects (or 4 dimensions).

Anyway, my thoughts. (though a bit raw) on the topic.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
don't worry [MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION]... I'll infract you and it won't be a mystery at all :newwink:

Well honesty is the basis of reciprocity, reciprocity is the basis of any non-corrupt relationship and hierarchies of competency which are pretty much the only way to escape the tyranny of envy in the long run.
So you know I'm fine with that.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why does everyone assume that I'm taking everything personally? :dry:

I guess being so fluffy all the time means I'm never 'allowed' to be prickly. Even simple disagreements get misrepresented. I don't like my thoughts, feelings, and intentions being (wrongfully) assumed to be something that they're actually not. But apparently not liking something means I'm taking it personally. :/

Trust me fam, if I was actually taking this personally, you would know, and I would tell you so. I wouldn't be logging off to play video games and read if I was that personally offended by people disagreeing with me. I mean, I still think y'all are wrong who I've debated with in this thread, but I guess when you're the forum's pet derpy dog, when you're anything other than cute and derpy, even just a little teeny tiny bit, you get called rabid. :shrug:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Why does everyone assume that I'm taking everything personally? :dry:

I guess being so fluffy all the time means I'm never 'allowed' to be prickly. Even simple disagreements get misrepresented. I don't like my thoughts, feelings, and intentions being (wrongfully) assumed to be something that they're actually not. But apparently not liking something means I'm taking it personally. :/

Trust me fam, if I was actually taking this personally, you would know, and I would tell you so. I wouldn't be logging off to play video games and read if I was that personally offended by people disagreeing with me. I mean, I still think y'all are wrong who I've debated with in this thread, but I guess when you're the forum's pet derpy dog, when you're anything other than cute and derpy, even just a little teeny tiny bit, you get called rabid. :shrug:

i think that was meant for the random thought thread ?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think that was meant for the random thought thread ?

No, it was meant for here, since one user mentioned sensor 6s taking this thread personally, and your previous post mentioned people taking statistics personally (aka your statistics on there being more intelligent Ns than Ss), ha

Since I've been the most active dissenter in this thread recently, and am an S and a 6, and previously questioned the statistics, I thought it was directed at me, and if not, that it still applies to me in general, so I thought I'd just address it. :shrug:

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No, it was meant for here, since one user mentioned sensor 6s taking this thread personally, and your previous post mentioned people taking statistics personally (aka your statistics on there being more intelligent Ns than Ss), ha

Since I've been the most active dissenter in this thread recently, and am an S and a 6, and previously questioned the statistics, I thought it was directed at me, and if not, that it still applies to me in general, so I thought I'd just address it. :shrug:

Well it's more like 'on being more more intelligent Ns than Ss :laugh:

No it wasn't in any way directed at you - never crossed my mind - , it was a general statement. When i make a general statement i mean it as general. if i mean it as someone I quote or @ them. because I'm nice that way. \\
[MENTION=23583]Yama[/MENTION] - edit:
Now obviously one's reaction will depend upon how someone phrases their statement, if someone said "Ns on average have higher IQ than Ss" (which is most probably true) and someone used it as an argument against one individual personally then that person would be fully justified in taking it personaly. But I don't know what the discussion or disagreement you were part of was so I can't give specifics. You can share if you wish to have my specific input on your particular situation.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream

i mean, that's pretty much common sense at this point.

someone: makes a generalised comment about a specific group of people
people: no that isnt how it is
someone: gee i wonder why people fitting into this demographic take it personally

like. no shit. draw a fucking venn diagram

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@Norexan you aren't @Captain_Invincible by any chance?

he used to abuse the winks back when there was a

group.

or maybe it's a medical condition.. in that case. I'll step back ;)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My dog gets stuck under blankets he put himself under... he must be an N...

I'm tempted to start handing out infractions for abuse of typology after reading this thread!

my cat I'm pretty also an N she runs into things and doesn't pay attention to how close to the edge of things she is and falls off (It's pretty funny, i check to make sure she's fine) I'm also sure she's easily distracted i'll be playing with her then she'll go play with a piece of paper come back to the toy lick herself randomly then do something else come back to the toy.