User Tag List

First 132122232425 Last

Results 221 to 230 of 251

  1. #221
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post

    The method to 'measure mbti' is therefore self-evident and in line with what the MBTI is (a self assessment test).
    Circular reasoning.On top of that there is no clear or universally agreed upon definition of intuitive or sensor.

    I guess you can correlate anything really but that doesn't mean you're going to get any useful information.

  2. #222
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Yes you can. Just like you can correlate association with political parties, eye color, height, country of origin, parental iq etc. These are split into two categories: objective-data (height...) and subjective-self-assessed-data (religion etc.)

    The method to 'measure mbti' is therefore self-evident and in line with what the MBTI is (a self assessment test).

    So if I can correlate IQ with religiosity, political affiliation and any such trait. I can certainly correlate it with MBTI as they are part of the same category.

    *pats* Sorry you're going to have to try harder than that.
    Forgot to mention, you are attempting to catagorize MBTI in subjective-self-assessed data. Ok, how many of the high IQ people self-assessed an actual MBTI type versus you actually typing them based on your best guess and your own subjective understanding of MBTI? What if I can construe a good argument to make someone a sensor instead of an intuitive and then claim that as workable data ( yep, shit I just made up)? You might have SOMETHING here if the a bunch of high IQ people self-assessed a certain MBTI type which they didn't.

    Additionally, I'd love it if MBTI "Ns" were actually correlated with high IQ. I only stand to gain there. But I'm not going to make up data.

  3. #223

    Default

    To me, common sense, and logical thinking is more important than anything.

  4. #224
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Forgot to mention, you are attempting to catagorize MBTI in subjective-self-assessed data. Ok, how many of the high IQ people self-assessed an actual MBTI type versus you actually typing them based on your best guess and your own subjective understanding of MBTI? What if I can construe a good argument to make someone a sensor instead of an intuitive and then claim that as workable data ( yep, shit I just made up)? You might have SOMETHING here if the a bunch of high IQ people self-assessed a certain MBTI type which they didn't.

    Additionally, I'd love it if MBTI "Ns" were actually correlated with high IQ. I only stand to gain there. But I'm not going to make up data.
    How many times is intellectual and high iq associated with N's and that in itself becomes an identifying factor in which we begin to usensure that as a method of determination. So correlation became causation due to statistics and once that is determined we begin to raise the percentage of N that are high iq because that is part of determining whether someone is N or not.

    It's sad because we do this so much in so many other areas we create what we think due to how we begin to categorize things making things more statistically significant as they reach really high or really low percentages.
    Im out, its been fun

  5. #225
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    How many times is intellectual and high iq associated with N's and that in itself becomes an identifying factor in which we begin to usensure that as a method of determination. So correlation became causation due to statistics and once that is determined we begin to raise the percentage of N that are high iq because that is part of determining whether someone is N or not.

    It's sad because we do this so much in so many other areas we create what we think due to how we begin to categorize things making things more statistically significant as they reach really high or really low percentages.
    Right but the criteria he used to show MBTI is reliable data is to categorize it as subjective self-assessment. This sort of falls apart when the high IQ people in question hardly self-assessed as an MBTI type. Their MBTI type is being super imposed on them by someone else which would fall in the realm of objective measurement yet there is no objective factor to measure.
    His argument only holds weight if the high IQ people in question actually self-assessed as particular MBTI types. That's my whole problem with this claim.
    From an abstract subjective view of my own I see it as theoretically possible that Ns are on the high end of IQ but I openly admit that there is no reliable data to say anything about it objectively. Thus the claim is as relevant as how many teeth can the tooth fairy collect on a chilly Wednesday night.

  6. #226
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Forgot to mention, you are attempting to catagorize MBTI in subjective-self-assessed data. Ok, how many of the high IQ people self-assessed an actual MBTI type versus you actually typing them based on your best guess and your own subjective understanding of MBTI? What if I can construe a good argument to make someone a sensor instead of an intuitive and then claim that as workable data ( yep, shit I just made up)? You might have SOMETHING here if the a bunch of high IQ people self-assessed a certain MBTI type which they didn't.

    Additionally, I'd love it if MBTI "Ns" were actually correlated with high IQ. I only stand to gain there. But I'm not going to make up data.
    *reads first 10 words*
    yeah that's what I suspected you'd say when I wrote my last post.
    Now you are confusing the fact that we CAN correlate MBTI and IQ and the METHODOLOGY used to do so.

    These are two different issues.

    Try again.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #227
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    *reads first 10 words*
    yeah that's what I suspected you'd say when I wrote my last post.
    Now you are confusing the fact that we CAN correlate MBTI and IQ and the METHODOLOGY used to do so.

    These are two different issues.

    Try again.
    Your categorization of MBTI as acceptable subjective self-assessed data falls on its face given the fact that almost all people who have tested with high IQs never self-assessed their own MBTI type. Rather YOU or maybe some mbti enthusiasts are trying to type THEM which means you must be using some objective methodology to do so (but you're not aside from armchair typing which is all you can do). Your 'data' is not actually data. IT DOESN'T EXIST!

    Maybe MBTI has some personal meaning to you I guess.

    Tell you what go have 1,000 random people from diverse backgrounds self-assess on the same MBTI tests and then administer some credible IQ test to the same people and see the results and look for correlation. Maybe then you'll have something. ( Personally I'd love to do that but I don't have the resources to make it happen).

  8. #228
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Your categorization of MBTI as acceptable subjective self-assessed data falls on its face given the fact that almost all people who have tested with high IQs never self-assessed their own MBTI type. Rather YOU or maybe some mbti enthusiasts are trying to type THEM which means you must be using some objective methodology to do so (but you're not aside from armchair typing which is all you can do). Your 'data' is not actually data. IT DOESN'T EXIST!

    Maybe MBTI has some personal meaning to you I guess.

    Tell you what go have 1,000 random people from diverse backgrounds self-assess on the same MBTI tests and then administer some credible IQ test to the same people and see the results and look for correlation. Maybe then you'll have something. ( Personally I'd love to do that but I don't have the resources to make it happen).
    This is getting tiring. Look I understand you are used to convincing classroom of children with your arguments but as far as this one goes, it is full of holes. This is nothing personal . I'm merely talking about the merit of your argument. I understand you are going to take it personally and make some ad hominem attacks but there's nothing I can do about that.

    You are ASSUMING methodology. Again, your statement about methodology is NOT required for my previous statement to be correct (self assessed mbti type can be correlated with IQ).
    In the same way we dont go and check if someone REALLY satisfies the 2015 definition of a republican. If it's self assessed, all we have to do is ask them.

    Now , again, about methodology. While it's irrelevant to the point. Which I've already demonstrated... all you have to do if you want good methodology is administer the official mbti test with the help of an mbti practionner... then administer an official IQ test with the help of a practioner...
    It's really not difficult
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  9. #229
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    This is getting tiring. Look I understand you are used to convincing classroom of children with your arguments but as far as this one goes, it is full of holes. This is nothing personal . I'm merely talking about the merit of your argument. I understand you are going to take it personally and make some ad hominem attacks but there's nothing I can do about that.

    You are ASSUMING methodology. Again, your statement about methodology is NOT required for my previous statement to be correct (self assessed mbti type can be correlated with IQ).
    In the same way we dont go and check if someone REALLY satisfies the 2015 definition of a republican. If it's self assessed, all we have to do is ask them.

    Now , again, about methodology. While it's irrelevant to the point. Which I've already demonstrated... all you have to do if you want good methodology is administer the official mbti test with the help of an mbti practionner... then administer an official IQ test with the help of a practioner...
    It's really not difficult
    LOL, we're getting lost on each other here.

    Again, your statement about methodology is NOT required for my previous statement to be correct (self assessed mbti type can be correlated with IQ).
    I already said I agree that a correlation of data can be made IF you have a sample group of people that have both tested IQ and self-assessed MBTI. We are not in disagreement here. In other words in theory this works, I agree. The problem is that you can't make the claim that this data has already been looked at and assert correlations. You need to show me where high IQ people have self-assessed their MBTI in the same way people have registered as republican or described themselves as republican.

    If you do not have that data of actual self assessment of MBTI by the same people that tested their IQ then you have no data to correlate. Is this really that hard to understand? Maybe you did post a credible source in which high IQ people have self-assessed their MBTI but I haven't seen it yet.

    However, if you are trying to armchair guess high IQ people's MBTI then by definition it is not self-assessment and thus unreliable data because other peoples' types are being guessed at by enthusiasts. It's analogous to trying to guess a Pigmy political affiliation. My best guess isn't reliable data. If you are assessing them then you have to be using some methodology to determine their type ( rather than them self-assessing). In other words you imagine what they would score on an MBTI test rather than what they actually do or you imagine what their cognition would be rather than what their cognition actually would be. It's ok though. You're an intuitive like me and we easily fall prey to this mistake in reasoning. Often times we think our intuition is so astute that we confuse our abstraction of something with the thing itself. How old are you?

  10. #230
    Privileged Sh!tlord ZNP-TBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    @EcK

    I'll give you this one though.

    I did state:
    You can't even really correlate IQ with MBTI because there's no actual method to measure MBTI's theory of cognition. Just about all of it is armchair guessing based on some stereotypical questions that have not been tested for thoroughness or reliability. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy brainstorming MBTI stuff but I pause to take it really seriously.
    I retract this statement because I understand your point more clearly now. You can measure it in theory. I was under the impression that you already went ahead and made correlations between high IQ people and their MBTI types. I still hold my ground on that data isn't really available yet to correlate but it is possible to do so in the future.

    Whether the MBTI is really a useful tool for measuring personality is still an open debate (among enthusiasts anyway) and not accepted by mainstream psychologists at the moment. I see serious flaws with MBTI as good measuring tool for cognition but that's a separate conversation.

    IQ on the other hand is a very reliable predictor of many things and though its disputed socially its not really disputed scientifically.

Similar Threads

  1. How Animals are Smarter than Some Humans
    By Mal12345 in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM
  2. [NT] People who are smarter than you
    By animenagai in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 11:03 PM
  3. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 07:49 PM
  4. How many Ns are in general population ?
    By Chloe in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
  5. [MBTItm] Why Fs are smarter than Ts
    By Martian Manifesto in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO