• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do animals have types?

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
I have a pet parrot who acts sort of like an ENFJ and an INTPish ferret. Do animals have MBTI types? They have brains just like people, so I would think that they would; then again, their minds work differently. Or perhaps the smarter creatures have types(I can hardly picture typing a snail or a housefly). What do you think?

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I think the more developed animals definitely have personalities, though their minds are not as complicated at all as the human psyche. (That's why I like animals.)

My dog is ESFP :D

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a pet parrot who acts sort of like an ENFJ and an INTPish ferret. Do animals have MBTI types? They have brains just like people, so I would think that they would; then again, their minds work differently. Or perhaps the smarter creatures have types(I can hardly picture typing a snail or a housefly). What do you think?

Trying to fit animals onto an MBTI system doesn't really make sense. Are animals intuitive? Do they make decisions based on logic? Do they have a preference for closure? It's all projection, imo.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I think animals quite clearly exhibit E/I (sociable - reserved) and J/P (clean and picky - messy and dirty). But I think that basically all animals are SF.

Perhaps the smarter animals are thought to be T, but that's probably just anthropomorphism.

If animals somehow can be fitted to MBTI, their types certainly are much more simple than the people types :D

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
If they do, are INTP dogs less likely to want to play fetch?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Trying to fit animals onto an MBTI system doesn't really make sense. Are animals intuitive? Do they make decisions based on logic? Do they have a preference for closure? It's all projection, imo.

Indeed.

An animal's mind is not made to fit within a human typing system.

---

But nonetheless, we could make comparisons with humans. For instance, elephants's brains are three times larger than ours, and the area dedicated to memorization is beyond compare. Their memory knows no equal, it's probably eidetic. Thus, somehow, their minds would probably look very S to us.

The more clever the animal, the more sense the comparison makes. Dolphins, chimps and elephants might be good candidates.

Though I always thought crabs were very INTPish... Lonely, feed on corpses, not very expressive, hard-shelled and communicate only with their claws. But that would rather be a metaphor, of course... :D

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I used to breed dogs and actually experimented with this in terms of astrological signs and they do seem to fit their birth sign. MBTI?.. probably a stretch but it would have to be modified down to three functions I think. I've lived with animals... multiple at a time and currently 10 of them... and, as I said, they do seem to fit astrological signs.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Do animals have types?

Some do, I think they're called Homo sapiens sapiens.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
If they do, are INTP dogs less likely to want to play fetch?

whydog.jpg

Othon

MBTI Type
INTP
I have an INTJ python and an ESFP doggy.
IL them both. <3

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pavlov did ascribe temperaments to dogs: Melancholic (Weak inhibitory) Choleric (Strong excitatory) Sanguine (Lively) Phlegmatic (Calm, imperturbable)
What we would call extroversion (I/E) was "Passivity: (Active or Passive)", and Agreeableness or possibly Neuroticism was "Extremeness: (Extreme or Moderate response) "

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, animals have types :) I'm not sure you can use Jungian functions to type them though, haha.

That said, we typed our two kitties anyway. Our orange tabby is ENTP, and our part-Siamese is INTJ. :D The I/E and J/P are self-explanatory. As far as why they're both NTs, the tabby LOVES to explore new things and test out whatever his curiosity finds (sort of like a scientist, haha), and the Siamese is a very clever communicator, whenever he has something to say (otherwise he's fairly quiet).

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I'm pretty sure my mom's dog, whom she has sporting trendy dog-sweaters and party pants (and he's incredibly insecure over), is an ISFP. :yes:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
24c_dog_narrowweb__200x284.jpg

^I'm thinking ESTJ

54324554-full.png

^INTP

139042906_d82efab31c-full.jpg

^An ISFP perhaps?

erfgh-full.png

^Totally INTJ

01smiling_wig_dog.highlight-full.jpg

^And an ESFP fo' shizzle!!! :D

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Of course animals have types. Haven't you ever debated philosophy with bear or politics with a camel before?