User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Describe your auxiliary function

According to some, Lenore for one, the auxiliary function should be the easiest function a type can describe. The dominant is far too imposing to let us see it from the outside and the other functions are too far down the ladder of unconsciousness.

So in the spirit of learning more about the functions, please could you give an overview of what exactly your 2nd function is, how and when you use it and perhaps activities others could do to achieve conscious use of it. Try to steer clear of textbook definitions that we've all heard and try to add something new. Even a stream of consciousness from the function is good.

I realise that we've more of some types than others and that some functions would get repeated, that's fine. But ISPs and ESJs, please feel welcome, you'd be like the highly prized trading card to the kid who already has eight copies of Ne.

So I'll start.
    (You're welcome to write longer ones.)

My Ne:

Ever since a small child I've always wanted to use to my intelligence to make a mark on the world. This is why I spend hundreds of antisocial hours writing. Whenever I get a break from what I don't want to do the first thing I do is think about how and what to write next. I plan my weekend around it. As a result I can find myself in a fantasy world, but I've never thought what actually exists to be more important than what you can imagine. That's always been a given to me.

But I do find practical use for it. When I'm in a conversation I find tiresome I try to turn it on it's head. If somebody starts bleating to me about their uninteresting sexual conquests, I have no problem with pretending to take offence when I actually don't. "How dare you," I would say, "Why he's/she's a human being! Where is your honour?" Actively confusing people has also become a defence mechanism of mine.

Ways to achieve Nevarna: Write a first paragraph of a story and send it to a friend to add another and then have them send it back to you to write the next bit; the sillier the story the better. Work friends and I have compiled a portfolio of stupid stories almost two hundred pages long in the last couple of months.

Another way is to play a game of Scadden Skizzors. The rules are simple. Draw two stick figures representing you and another player. The person who starts has to kill the other one, for example draw a knife being thrown at the opposite player. The other person has two things to do. They must introduce something which saves their life and endangers the other's. For example, the knife is now attached to a boomerang which goes back to the former player. Now the first player must now save their life and endanger the other's. There are no other rules and no way of winning the game. Time travel, magic and rewriting of the universe's physical laws are all allowed, with at least some half-arsed attempt to reason it.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Okay then...

Te is a driving force. It is the difference between what I want to do and what I need to do, constantly evaluating what I can get away with and what I can't, and usually he pushes me in the right direction, and backing off and giving me some space when he thinks I need it.

Generally, it's my drive to work. I may have too many ideas, but Te will come in with his whip and smacking my drive back into me. "It's worthless unless it's presentable," says Te, "So you'd better try your damndest!"

Te is bad with people -- he sees them and strives to treat them fairly, but generally, this is not what people want. So he's been scorned and would rather not associate with them, and yet there they are, all the time, pestering for questions. When Ni has completely checked out (as he usually has), Te tends to get snappish about responses and resort to an assortment of stock-phrases to get people away while the boss is gone.

I do whittle away thousands of antisocial hours writing (among other things) but at this point writing has become a compulsive habit. I wouldn't really say that it's an attempt to make a mark on the world, but it's an attempt to make these 'cool ideas' into something that other people can see. It's not for making a mark, it's just translations of things that Te demanded be put to work.

And that's about what Te does -- at least, for me.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ

Fe:

I do what I can to make others happy. If someone else is having a bad day, I feel it too. I want to make them feel better, so I will be there for them if they need to talk, leave them alone if they need space, or buy them a small gift that they will really enjoy & will make them feel special. I feel the feelings of others, good or bad & usually more intensely than my own. It's all about everyone else, which can take it's toll on me because I forget about my own feelings often. Sometimes, if I'm not paying attention, my own feelings will start to mirror those of others and I can lose myself. This is especially dangerous in relationships and has led to the demise of more than one.

I'm not great at standing up for myself. I'm opinionated, but I tend to back down when I know my opinion or feeling is negatively effecting someone else. I seem to be really good at compromising for the benefit of everyone involved and I really do strive to reach those sort of compromises. I feel I've gotten better at respecting my own feelings as I've gotten older, though.

I tend to worry about what others think of me more than I should. I cannot tune out the feelings of others towards me and have the tendency to take criticism personally. Therefore, I do have the tendency to hide parts of myself in order to not seem abnormal to others.

People tend to be drawn to me whether or not I am in the mood to be around people. I've been told I give great advice and I'm often sought out by others for advice.

Despite being introverted, I tend to be able to read other's feelings and intentions very well. I'm good with people and it's extremely easy for me to relate with others - even if they are seemingly different than I am. I am normally unsatisfied in jobs or activities that do not relate to helping people. If I can't find a human purpose in what I am doing, I tend to feel as though I am wasting my time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Fe:

i can't help but feel the feelings i assume others are having. i find myself more affected by someone else doing something embarrassing than they usually are. when i see something as inharmonious, i cringe and try to assess if it's fixable. if it is, i'll do whatever i can. otherwise, i just fixate on the problem to the point that i can't function.

a good example is that i sometimes have to leave the room when i'm watching the office with friends. michael sometimes says things and i seriously cannot handle watching the outcome.

but yeah, i've been working my whole life on minimizing those effects because i'm so crippled by them. so far, not much luck

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks for the response people, already I've learnt so much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ironically, I think I under use my auxiliary function... perhaps that's why I have such a strong sense of unawareness of who I am?

But here's my attempt:

Fe:

It seems like an easy way to protect myself. If I meet other's basic expectations, and do no more or less, then they will not expect much more of me, and I will be free to do as I wish the rest of the time. Therefore, I do the basics. I say hello and goodbye, I ask how others are doing, and always have a valid excuse ready in case I don't have the energy to do something they ask. If I am kind to them, there's a good chance they will praise me and/or repay me, both of which would be comforting. Even if they don't, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I did something helpful. It's likely that others would notice this if I did it often enough, and if I had the energy and resources, I could probably make it so that I was well-liked in my community.

Come to think of it, other people's feelings probably affect me quite a bit. That's probably why I avoid people, they feel too much, and it changes so quickly. Their moods are strong and unstable... I can't take it. I feel quite a bit of pity for someone who is physically ill or tired, because I know how that feels. Same goes for people who need obvious help. There are many things that hurt people in ways I can't relate to, though, and I feel so confused and powerless in those situations. All I can think to do is apologize, and I don't even know what I'm apologizing for... perhaps my inexperience and uselessness to them? I guess so. Maybe I'm really asking myself for forgiveness for not having done more and been through more so that I could actually relate to and comfort these people. And this just drives me to avoid meaningful contact with people again so that I won't experience the irritation of not being able to help them, and then when I go out among them it comes back, and so on...

Often I have an emotional problem, talk to a stranger about it, and then feel better and validated by having talked about it, and don't really ever make a lasting friendship. I allow others to do this with me as well. One person called this "getting hit and run sympathy."

I guess ultimately, I sort of misuse Fe. Instead of using it for it's own sake, I just use it to collect all the positive emotional energy (many people exude it freely, and I can sense them) I need to feel okay and assured that I'm a good person (while avoiding negative emotional energy), and then run back to my computer and books until it runs out, and then I repeat.

For some reason, thinking about it reminds me of a vampire, except that I'm doing it with emotional energy rather than blood. That's probably why I try not to think about it. It's an unfortunate necessity that I need to survive, and I've found it's best not to entertain thoughts of guilt about it.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

My Ni acts as a finger tapping urgently on the shoulder of Fe while it spews lava on the villagers.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP

Any ENTPs out there want to do Ti? I'd like to hear that one.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Ti:

Ti is my own personal Excalibur. It is a powerful weapon that I keep sheathed until the appropriate time. Then once it is needed, it is unleashed and cuts away the unnecessary fat like the proverbial Occam's Razor. It must be kept sheathed because it is inappropriate for most social situations. Nothing can find mistakes in reasoning like Ti, and people hate it when you point out their mistakes.

However when it comes to problem solving, discernment, and the ability to give shape to the raw chaos that is Ne there is no friend I'd rather rely on than Ti. Sometimes I think, "Why do these NFP's cling to such ineffective ideas?" But then I remind myself that they do not have Ti to discern the effective from the ineffective. Whenever I try a new endeavor I already have a good idea of whether or not it will succeed, because Ti has already deduced the inevitable conclusion. A river needs a dam to make it productive and give it shape; uranium needs a reactor. By the same token my Ne needs Ti to give my ideas shape and make them effective instead of being so much wasted energy.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

In the OP I mentioned an activity to exprience Ne. Here is a page from the Lenore Thomson Wiki which talks about an activity for each function.

edit &

Does anyone have any others they'd like to suggest?

Developing the Secondary

This one is a page that talks about "using the Secondary Function to support a dominant "agenda" vs. using the Secondary Function to genuinely broaden your perspective."