• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe your auxiliary function

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think learning and practicing mathematics is the surest way to develop Ti. Alternatively I'd think that studying philosophy is also a pretty good method as long as you steer clear of certain philosophers like Nietzsche and Ayn Rand.

You know what I have to say here: math (as in 'counting' or 'measuring') is usually an extraverted thinking activity

As for philosophy, yes! Read some Kant for Ti.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well then, in terms of the dominant and auxiliary, the LESS differentiated process is more apparent to the self. Basically, I don't see these two ideas (Lenore+Beebe "vs." Jung) as contradictory. The auxiliary function is probably acually the easiest one to control because it can be used but also ignored. (it's almost impossible to shut off the dominant function).

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Ne

I enjoy being overwhelmed by grocery stores - so many choices/combinations, so little time. Everything looks good.

R

RDF

Ne

I enjoy being overwhelmed by grocery stores - so many choices/combinations, so little time. Everything looks good.

Cute! Good illustration. :yes:

Fi (my Dominant) is like a slow grind. I test and ruminate carefully before coming to judgment.

Ne (my Auxiliary), on the other hand, is like a fast tennis game played close up on the net, or a fast run down a ski slope with lots of obstacles. It's like relying on my wits and instinct, throwing caution to the wind.

IRL, I enjoy a fast, wide-ranging debate with Ne-dominant ENFPs or ENTPs. But if it goes on too long, I get feeling a little wrung out and irritable. They can keep Ne-ing forever; whereas I start burning out and begin delving into my Fi to get on surer ground (which confuses them--they want to know why I'm suddenly getting hung up on some small point).

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Both of those Ne descriptions sound more like Se

R

RDF

Both of those Ne descriptions sound more like Se

Those were Se-based similes to help describe the exhilaration that Ne can occasion: It's like a fast tennis game or a downhill ski run.

OTOH, I described the actual experience of using Ne in the passage about debating with ENFPs and ENTPs.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
You know what I have to say here: math (as in 'counting' or 'measuring') is usually an extraverted thinking activity

As for philosophy, yes! Read some Kant for Ti.

Counting and measuring really are more related to science than math. You will perform activities like that much more often in a laboratory, than solving problems with a pencil and paper. When it comes to purely solving problems or performing logical proofs, Ti is what gets used. So I would say study science to develop Te and math to develop Ti.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
^ agreed more or less

The scientific method used to conduct experiments is Te in its most rigid form. Drawing conclusions and understanding theories behind science, however, is Ti.