• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My type flip flops

mooseantlers

Knobgoblin
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I'd say a majority of the time, I'm an ESFP. But it really does flip flop, I'm sort of coming to a self realization here. Observing myself more and such. For example, currently, I'm an INFP, I go through phases, it's weird, anyone else have this?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
type doesent change, just your perception about yourself changes, if you dont know the real you or perhaps you have wrong definitions of what type is.

why do you think that you are sometimes using SeFiTeNi and other times FiNeSiTe?

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha, sometimes I feel like I'm an ENFJ myself.. I partly blame my best friend, who I believe to be an ENFJ.
So yes, I do experience that also, but I know that I'm not actually changing, its more so my perception and idealizations.

A

Anew Leaf

type doesent change, just your perception about yourself changes, if you dont know the real you or perhaps you have wrong definitions of what type is.

why do you think that you are sometimes using SeFiTeNi and other times FiNeSiTe?

I find that most ESFPs are a fine sight indeed.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh darn, I thought we were going to talk about flip flops :(

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh, and it's the subjective Fi that makes you think your type changes. When someone is focused on feelings and value it's like reality becomes really subjective and so it feels like you change and chameleon based on the situation. You don't see the T types or the Fe types changing perception as often as us Fi types do.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh darn, I thought we were going to talk about flip flops :(

Nah, thongs!

You believe Fi is what influences the view of type changing? I was under a different impression, I always felt like Fe types changed perception alot more frequently.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

cognitive functions are tools.
so, you can teach a stone mason how to craft stone, no, they _might_ nevr master another set of tools, while they just as well might do if they poses the will to.

and as it happens, we dotn start with these tools, we try and mash them up until we figure one set which we prefer over the rest.

if you flipped yourself, youd experience the immersive total sudden change of world view yourself, it doesnt leave any doubt if one moment you experience earth as earth, and the next everything has a philosophical/fantasy like feeling of depth to it. (while with depth you lose clarity of wide view. aka why i dont stay that long in my INFP nor INTP flips. + philosophizing about whatever is in front of my eyes is kind of ridiculous,(as it doesnt make any progress at all into any direction) while i know from experience how wonderful that feels.)

or like for me, i love imagination. i just love it, yet for some cognitive reason i've lost motivation to experience what i love most. i just cant experience it like i used to. doesnt feel the same. neither does music feel the same way it used to.

time to learn my old tools again. (negative experiences can inflict such changes in cognitive preferance as like the effects im describing. avoidance of ones Si, ones own perspective, which is directly connected not in processing to the Ji, but in strength. stronger Pi equals stronger Ji, and abandoning Pi leads to deprivation of Ji as well, aka extroverted personality disorders. mh, at least i know what to do to get rid of my flip flops. and the flips are caused due your longing to experience what you are depriving yourself from, with alternative means as facing them by your primary set of tools would mean facing your fears.)

and self perception is only the intellectual ability to actually see what you anyways are, even if you dont see yourself it doesnt mean you arent what you are nor if you see yourself wrong way, it doesnt make that wrong way you.

while you seem to refer the first cognitive preferance humans find is somehow set in stone, well its not. we always poses all the tools, some we are better at thanks to experience with them, while those we use less not.

and also as others are mentioning, other people have influence over your type.
for example, spend long time in wrong company and your head will be spinning in the end, and youll be glad to get your lone/or with cognitively similar people time to recover into your usual self.

especially if you form strong connections to others, the influence will be greater. just, dont try to connect Ji to other persons Je or the other way if Ji and Je are of same element, as this causes negative changes to both individuals. meaning dont force Fi's to connect onto Fe nor Ti's to connect onto Te. loose connection is only diplomatic approach there. and forcing Se onto Si is rather intrusive as well, for an intp you know this.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
cognitive functions are tools.
so, you can teach a stone mason how to craft stone, no, they _might_ nevr master another set of tools, while they just as well might do if they poses the will to.

and as it happens, we dotn start with these tools, we try and mash them up until we figure one set which we prefer over the rest.

if you flipped yourself, youd experience the immersive total sudden change of world view yourself, it doesnt leave any doubt if one moment you experience earth as earth, and the next everything has a philosophical/fantasy like feeling of depth to it. (while with depth you lose clarity of wide view. aka why i dont stay that long in my INFP nor INTP flips. + philosophizing about whatever is in front of my eyes is kind of ridiculous,(as it doesnt make any progress at all into any direction) while i know from experience how wonderful that feels.)

or like for me, i love imagination. i just love it, yet for some cognitive reason i've lost motivation to experience what i love most. i just cant experience it like i used to. doesnt feel the same. neither does music feel the same way it used to.

time to learn my old tools again. (negative experiences can inflict such changes in cognitive preferance as like the effects im describing. avoidance of ones Si, ones own perspective, which is directly connected not in processing to the Ji, but in strength. stronger Pi equals stronger Ji, and abandoning Pi leads to deprivation of Ji as well, aka extroverted personality disorders. mh, at least i know what to do to get rid of my flip flops. and the flips are caused due your longing to experience what you are depriving yourself from, with alternative means as facing them by your primary set of tools would mean facing your fears.)

and self perception is only the intellectual ability to actually see what you anyways are, even if you dont see yourself it doesnt mean you arent what you are nor if you see yourself wrong way, it doesnt make that wrong way you.

while you seem to refer the first cognitive preferance humans find is somehow set in stone, well its not. we always poses all the tools, some we are better at thanks to experience with them, while those we use less not.

and also as others are mentioning, other people have influence over your type.
for example, spend long time in wrong company and your head will be spinning in the end, and youll be glad to get your lone/or with cognitively similar people time to recover into your usual self.

especially if you form strong connections to others, the influence will be greater. just, dont try to connect Ji to other persons Je or the other way if Ji and Je are of same element, as this causes negative changes to both individuals. meaning dont force Fi's to connect onto Fe nor Ti's to connect onto Te. loose connection is only diplomatic approach there. and forcing Se onto Si is rather intrusive as well, for an intp you know this.

Wow, I really appreciate what you've shared here. You've given me some nice food for though to digest for a little while, fresh for a little extra perspective. Keeping in mind this is theory, I see practical connections here.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
oh, and it's the subjective Fi that makes you think your type changes. When someone is focused on feelings and value it's like reality becomes really subjective and so it feels like you change and chameleon based on the situation. You don't see the T types or the Fe types changing perception as often as us Fi types do.
Well said!

I think some people can step into other types depending on what situation they're in. For example, I am a Mom, I live in a predominantly conservative area and I am expected to think and behave a certain way, or at least try to if I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb. There are times when I have to do the "social" thing at my kids school and I think I do it fairly well or at least well enough. I'll never join or head the PTA, but I am involved and when necessary I can talk to people I normally wouldn't socialize with, but this isn't easy for me and I am left totally drained when I leave these events.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate. Just accept yourself as you are and don't conform to a particular type that doesn't fit you.