• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni-dom and the Suspension of Disbelief (Question)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is it that the Ni-dom type so readily relinquishes all critical thinking in favor of falling in love with an outrageously bad fantasy sci-fi movie such as Avatar?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Why is it that the Ni-dom type so readily relinquishes all critical thinking in favor of falling in love with an outrageously bad fantasy sci-fi movie such as Avatar?

Clearly they are just silly, irrational people without the capacity for intelligent evaluation.

I know for a fact that I have an obsession for raggedy ann bordering on the erotic.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

First, the Ni-doms in my life are some of the most discriminating individuals in my acquaintance. Having said that, I've known one from time to time to get fired up about something that was objectively bullshit after theyve taken a kinda sideways look at it and unifies the field for them elsewhere. Meaning theyve found some shard of information or device in the fluff with meaningful application to...whatever theyre working on at the time. Or they become fascinated by some meta-narrative theyve constructed around the text. Of course, the greater the disparity between the shittiness of the text and the richness of their commentary on it, the more enamored they become of the source material (and thereby their own theory). :p

There are other variations, but these two seem to be favorites. Id suggest you ask your friend what he thought the movie was really about, and see if that clarifies things, Mal. You might also consider the magic of inferior Se, which can occasionally make mindless, sparkily things a guilty pleasure.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni-dom and the Suspension of Disbelief (Question)
What I see is a Ti-dom and the suspension of rationality.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, Mal. You and your faulty assumptions.

I was THE ONLY ONE I KNEW that wasn't enraptured with Avatar, and downright disliked it. :tongue10:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Clearly they are just silly, irrational people without the capacity for intelligent evaluation.

I know for a fact that I have an obsession for raggedy ann bordering on the erotic.

Now that I look back at the OP a few hours later, I think maybe I didn't make my question clear enough. INTJ has its rational and irrational side, that's a known fact about any type. The rational side(s) may be strongly developed, but the irrational side dominates. They can both be active at the same time. But at times the rational side relinquishes its focus, and then the Ni-dom mentally appears to go off into another realm.

Books and movies, sometimes music, are attractive nuisances which distract the Ni-dom types. They may not see them as nuisances. But to me it's a nuisance, indirectly.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, Mal. You and your faulty assumptions.

I was THE ONLY ONE I KNEW that wasn't enraptured with Avatar, and downright disliked it. :tongue10:

That's good, but I'm not assuming anything about any particular person. I'm just referring to the suspension of disbelief. And how potent this ability must be when confronted with, let's say, as pathetic a movie as Avatar, or whatever one's favorite movie may be.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, perhaps a thread (there prolly is one) about what type is more able to suspend their disbelief. ? I seem to remember seeing that around here in the not-to-distant past...

I'm pretty cynical myself. I doubt I could be hypnotized, for example. And I do not buy into conspiracy theories....unless confronted with evidence to the contrary. :)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Now that I look back at the OP a few hours later, I think maybe I didn't make my question clear enough. INTJ has its rational and irrational side, that's a known fact about any type. The rational side(s) may be strongly developed, but the irrational side dominates. They can both be active at the same time. But at times the rational side relinquishes its focus, and then the Ni-dom mentally appears to go off into another realm.

Books and movies, sometimes music, are attractive nuisances which distract the Ni-dom types. They may not see them as nuisances. But to me it's a nuisance, indirectly.

No I understand that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, perhaps a thread (there prolly is one) about what type is more able to suspend their disbelief. ? I seem to remember seeing that around here in the not-to-distant past...

I'm pretty cynical myself. I doubt I could be hypnotized, for example. And I do not buy into conspiracy theories....unless confronted with evidence to the contrary. :)

I don't even consider this an ability that needs to be willed into action, the dominant function kicks into action all the time. I'm talking about how easy it is for the Ni-dom to get sucked into an alternate reality, just as a matter of course, if the object of attention is attractive enough. The "Avatar" movie and the "Avatar withdrawal" phenomenon provide an excellent example of this.

I don't know what that has to do with conspiracy theories.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Im still waiting for the penny to drop on Mal's head....

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This from the guy who debated an estp for 20 pages on the type of yoda! Lol