User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Me too.

I'm more curious as to high incidence of younger INTJs and anime fandom.
    I think that's just the internet INTJ syndrome.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Why is it that the Ni-dom type so readily relinquishes all critical thinking in favor of falling in love with an outrageously bad fantasy sci-fi movie such as Avatar?
    Probably the same reason some of us like pistachio ice cream or siamese cats.

I don't even consider this an ability that needs to be willed into action, the dominant function kicks into action all the time. I'm talking about how easy it is for the Ni-dom to get sucked into an alternate reality, just as a matter of course, if the object of attention is attractive enough. The "Avatar" movie and the "Avatar withdrawal" phenomenon provide an excellent example of this.
    I can get drawn into an alternate reality quite easily, but I have to identify with someone/something in it; otherwise, I'm just observing from a distance. For the record, I did not care for Avatar, but enjoy things you might consider equally lacking in objective merit.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Probably the same reason some of us like pistachio ice cream or siamese cats.

I can get drawn into an alternate reality quite easily, but I have to identify with someone/something in it; otherwise, I'm just observing from a distance. For the record, I did not care for Avatar, but enjoy things you might consider equally lacking in objective merit.
    I've received three answers as to why Avatar was so attractive.

The cute 12-foot elves.
    The ripped-off Dances With Wolves theme.
    The beautiful Pandoraverse.

These must be some heavily over-riding factors to suspend disbelief. I'm not talking about the normal skepticism of the anti-sci fi crowd, but simply the fact that it was an objectively bad movie.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    First, the Ni-doms in my life are some of the most discriminating individuals in my acquaintance. Having said that, I've known one from time to time to get fired up about something that was objectively bullshit after theyve taken a kinda sideways look at it and unifies the field for them elsewhere. Meaning theyve found some shard of information or device in the fluff with meaningful application to...whatever theyre working on at the time. Or they become fascinated by some meta-narrative theyve constructed around the text. Of course, the greater the disparity between the shittiness of the text and the richness of their commentary on it, the more enamored they become of the source material (and thereby their own theory). :P

There are other variations, but these two seem to be favorites. Id suggest you ask your friend what he thought the movie was really about, and see if that clarifies things, Mal. You might also consider the magic of inferior Se, which can occasionally make mindless, sparkily things a guilty pleasure.
    That's right.

But at times the rational side relinquishes its focus, and then the Ni-dom mentally appears to go off into another realm.
    They're going off to fetch cosmic cookies from realms unimaginable.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    That's right.

They're going off to fetch cosmic cookies from realms unimaginable.
    Maybe. Or just something future-sounding, as this tidbit from a couple weeks ago IRL:

(Someone mentions landfills)

INTJ: "Many centuries from now another civilization will dig up these landfills in order to learn all kinds of things about us."

INTP (me): "That's because the garbage in landfills doesn't deteriorate quickly enough. We should just leave it above ground."

INTJ: "Really?"

INTP: "Yes. There's not enough oxygen and bacteria underground, and the anaerobic bacteria are slow eaters."

INTJ: "I did not know that."

garbage

Even good sci-fi (if there is such a thing) requires suspension of disbelief.

In fact, lots of media requires some suspension of disbelief. We all know that Mario could not possibly jump a dozen feet into the air, conjure up fireballs, or fly by shaking around a raccoon tail.

Sometimes, reality is boring--or, at least, media would be boring if it were held strictly to the constraints of reality.

On the other hand, some shit that requires suspension of disbelief still sucks.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Even good sci-fi (if there is such a thing) requires suspension of disbelief.

In fact, lots of media requires some suspension of disbelief. We all know that Mario could not possibly jump a dozen feet into the air, conjure up fireballs, or fly by shaking around a raccoon tail.
    Mario 3 kind of sucked anyway. Like Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Sometimes, reality is boring--or, at least, media would be boring if it were held strictly to the constraints of reality.

On the other hand, some shit that requires suspension of disbelief still sucks.
    Yes, that's a common phenomenon. But what does it mean when the shit that sucks, such as the Pandoraverse, mentally traps people in the alternate Hollywood realm?

garbage

Mario 3 kind of sucked anyway. Like Avatar.
    ow, my childhood

Yes, that's a common phenomenon. But what does it mean when the shit that sucks, such as the Pandoraverse, mentally traps people in the alternate Hollywood realm?
    I figure that, if someone's going to mentally trap themselves in some realm, it may as well be a good one. I can't say that I see the appeal of the Avatar universe.

See also: infatuation with the My Little Pony universe.

But what's a good universe to be trapped in? Surely, requiring suspension of belief doesn't take a particular universe out of the running.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Me too.
    I'm more curious as to high incidence of younger INTJs and anime fandom.
    - tertiary Fi
    - anime culture is full of adventurous NFP women
    - anime glorifies INTJs
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INFp

I like to escape reality.
    The brain can produce things that in theory is better or at least at an higher level.
    The thought of the monster in a horror movie is always more scary then when it is shown in the film.
    The world in avatar has a lot of fantastic things that cannot be experienced in other ways than inside ones head.
    I really enjoyed avatar because the world was described so well and with a sense of being almost possible. Just enough to be able to imagine the rest, well except for the flying rocks wich I found ridiculous.
    The pocahontas-like plot did not do it for me but the world made it a fantastic movie experience.