User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    eNfP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Default explorers, builders, negotiators, & directors

What do you think of Helen Fisher's alternate temperament system? Her background is in research anthropology. She pairs each type with their dominant biochemistry--the dopamine-rich Explorer, the serotonin-dominant Builder, the estrogen-flooded Negotiator, & the testosterone-happy Director. These types are supposed to correspond to Plato's categories of Artist, Guardian, Idealist & Rational, but they don't match with Keirsey or MBTI. The Explorer's traits seem both NP & SP, Builder seems ESJ, Negotiator seems NF, & Director seems ENT/EST.

I've seen her stuff in both fluffy & non-fluffy contexts, she developed the questionaire for Chemistry.com, a subsidiary of match.com.

On my supervalid magazine test, I came out Explorer-Negotiator!

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
    What do you think ! of Helen Fisher's alternate temperament system? Her background is in research anthropology. She pairs each type with their dominant biochemistry--the dopamine-rich Explorer, the serotonin-dominant Builder, the estrogen-flooded Negotiator, & the testosterone-happy Director. These types are supposed to correspond to Plato's categories of Artist, Guardian, Idealist & Rational, but they don't match with Keirsey or MBTI. The Explorer's traits seem both NP & SP, Builder seems ESJ, Negotiator seems NF, & Director seems ENT/EST.

I've seen her stuff in both fluffy & non-fluffy contexts, she developed the questionaire for Chemistry.com, a subsidiary of match.com.

On my supervalid magazine test, I came out Explorer-Negotiator
    Where is the difference between this and and the MBTI types?

Its almost like looking at the same typology (the state of your unconscious tendencies, not your personality, typology has nothing to do with people) from a different perspective. Or even in more colloquial terms, same thing just in different wording.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Here's an excerpt from an article:

Fisher found that based on the activity levels of four key chemicals (serotonin, estrogen, dopamine, and testosterone), people largely fall into one of four temperaments: Builder, Negotiator, Explorer, and Director. Here's a rundown:

The Builder
    Chemical in charge: Serotonin (associated with sociability and feelings of calm)
    Personality: Calm, managerial, conscientious, home-oriented but social

The Negotiator
    Chemical in charge: Estrogen (associated with intuition and creativity)
    Personality: Imaginative, sympathetic, socially skilled, idealistic

The Explorer
    Chemical in charge: dopamine (associated with curiosity and spontaneity)
    Personality: Risk-taking, spontaneous, curious, adaptable

The Director
    Chemical in charge: testosterone (associated with independence and rational thinking)
    Personality: focused, inventive, daring, logical, direct

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I probably take issue right off the bat with tying testosterone to "rational thinking" and in general trying to tie these particular brain chemicals to one of four archetypes. It seems little more logical than the "humors" theory developed centuries ago, involving bile and other bodily fluids.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I probably take issue right off the bat with tying testosterone to "rational thinking" and in general trying to tie these particular brain chemicals to one of four archetypes. It seems little more logical than the "humors" theory developed centuries ago, involving bile and other bodily fluids.
    She's an anthropology professor.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    She's an anthropology professor.
    Oh. I missed that part.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I've always heard of testosterone as a "risk taker, aggressive" hormone, not a "rational" one.

The "four temperaments" to me seem more likely to emerge from combinations of 2-3 chemicals, or combinations of brain growth and chemicals, rather than just having a 1-to-1 equivalence with certain chemicals or traits.

Here are my results according to the test here:
    Love Quiz

Explorer: 25
    Builder: 15
    Negotiator: 20
    Director: 21

It looks like you could subsitute Director for NT, Negotiator for NF, Builder for SJ, and Explorer for SP. I've only looked at this briefly on Oprah's site but it seems like a more simplified version of the mbti system (while adding in loosely based neurchemical reasons as to why someone is one type over the other).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hmmm. Like this wasn't predictable

Explorer: 19
    Builder: 17
    Negotiator: 23

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Explorer: 19
    Builder: 17
    Negotiator: 23

Interesting.