• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

explorers, builders, negotiators, & directors

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
my word, why is estrogen/female always associated with intuition? it makes the whole scale reek of social inspiration rather than profound thinking.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Builder 10
Explorer 24
Negotiator 25
Director 29

The descriptions lack precision.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You scored: 25 as Explorer, 18 as Builder, 17 as Director, 37 as Negotiator.

Accurate as far as it goes, but I'm very dubious that the four types (which are basically the same as Keirsey's temperaments) can be linked to simple biochemistry in this way.

For starters, serotonin and dopamine are neurotransmitters, while testosterone and estrogen are hormones, so this doesn't make much sense.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
There are strong parallels here to the Bartle Test of gamer type. I'd not be surprised if the latter found its origin here.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
There are strong parallels here to the Bartle Test of gamer type. I'd not be surprised if the latter found its origin here.

Test is right here - Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology | gamerDNA

I'm not really a MMORPG player, but I took it anyway. My results:

Your gamerDNA is:
Killer

The Killer motto: "No enemy left standing!" Description:

It's the thrill of the kill. Trophies are okay, but that momentary rush attained from besting an opponent is what it's all about.

People with high Killer scores prefer the player-versus-player aspect of any game more than anything offered by the environment. They relish the adrenaline and challenge of pitting themselves against real people. Not all Killers are gankers as some critics claim. While getting the jump on the unprepared for a quick kill is important fun for some Killers, many prefer group PvP and revel in a well executed team maneuver that blows away the opposing side.
Secondary influences

* Killer Achievers pit themselves against PvE challenges as well--though often it's a means to an end. A KA often enjoys PvP that focuses on their skill as an individual contributor (duels, and so forth) as well as their personal position on competitive ladders and such.
* Killer Socializers often seek out PvP in a game, but they are looking to socialize with and form alliances and teams with other players who are interested in doing the same. KS tend to seek out guilds or clans that organize formal PvP events, or work on group strategies and tactics.
* Killer Explorers like to feel immersed in a virtual worlds and see themselves as a great villain or crusader within that world. They seek out challenges against other players, but they are going to find all the areas of that world. Trust an KE to know all the best ambush spots and sniper perches.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
  • 13/100 You scored 20 on Explorer, higher than 13% of your peers.
  • 71/100 You scored 27 on Builder, higher than 71% of your peers.
  • 66/100 You scored 29 on Director, higher than 66% of your peers.
  • 28/100 You scored 25 on Negotiator, higher than 28% of your peers.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I don't know about that specific application of the theory. Most overt tests seem to be structured around MMOs, which I agree is kind of limiting.

The theory is pretty similar to the above, though.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
* 95/100 You scored 38 on Negotiator, higher than 95% of your peers.
* 71/100 You scored 27 on Builder, higher than 71% of your peers.
* 26/100 You scored 23 on Explorer, higher than 26% of your peers.
* 20/100 You scored 21 on Director, higher than 20% of your peers.

Negotiators seek the ideal partner: someone with whom they can make an intensely intimate, deeply meaningful, inspiring and spiritual connection. They are popular with all types because they are flexible, appreciative, affectionate, good at reading other's thoughts and feelings, empathetic and superb at expressing their own ideas and emotions. Prefer to go out with one person at a time, and to avoid social events when getting to know someone. Can be deeply hurt by rejection. They are the most romantic of the four types. They are more complex than they often seem. Their ring fingers are usually shorter than their index fingers! Sex is an essential part of a partnership but must be mixed with romance, communication and emotional intimacy: sex and love are intertwined. They have a rich fantasy life, which can be tarnished if become disillusioned with their partner's imperfections. Negotiators trust their intuition.

Of course the Negotiator is the last type to pick out of the 4, lol...

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Actually, having inspected this in more detail, I retract my Bartle comments -- except insofar as I've mused about its relationship with Keirsey types in the other thread. I was led off path by some incidental factors.

Nothing to see here! Never mind.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw Helen Fisher speak at a corporate meeting today. Apparently, the terms have changed - at least those she uses with a business audience:

Driver (Director?) = NT - strategic intelligence
Pioneer (Explorer?) = SP - tactical intelligence
Catalyst (Negotiator?) = NF- diplomatic intelligence
Steward (Builder?) = SJ - logistical intelligence

That's how I interpret it anyway. All of the words are her words except for the temperaments of NT/SP/NF/SJ. It sounds like repackaged MBTI/Kiersey stuff. The one difference though is that she says we have all these types in us but some are preferred over others - but that we use all. It is somewhat like saying there is some sort of function order but not exactly the same. So, you could be 40% driver, 35% builder, 10% catalyst and 15% pioneer. You "use all your functions" but not all have the same preference. .

I didn't take the quiz for this meeting exercise but last time I took it, I was a DRIVER first and steward second (sort of like D and C in DISC).

Edit: Hundreds of my peers sitting in a meeting listening to an "expert" present about a personality typing framework made popular by a dating site (match.com), with discussion on how it can be used to understand others better. Amazing.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You scored: 32 as Explorer, 19 as Builder, 18 as Director, 37 as Negotiator.

big surprise there. :laugh:

apparently i match best with director-negotiator. i need to think about that one.

ps - the terms "Builder" and "Director" seem like they should be switched to me. because someone who builds is really into how things work (NT) whereas a director is more interested in order... like an SJ... oh well, semantics

KDude

You scored: 22 as Explorer, 20 as Builder, 16 as Director, 34 as Negotiator.

Noon

You scored: 16 as Explorer, 20 as Builder, 16 as Director, 30 as Negotiator.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm kind of an Explorer-Director blend

more like Explorer would be what I really am, but everyone likes Directors more

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

You scored: 24 as Explorer, 25 as Builder, 27 as Director, 32 as Negotiator.

Use your two highest scores as your dominant personality type. For example, if you scored highest as a Director and an Explorer, you are a DIRECTOR/Explorer.
If you are a female and scored high as a NEGOTIATOR, we are very complementary...let's talk! I am a DIRECTOR/Explorer type. A DIRECTOR type may also be compatible.
-------------------------
According to Dr. Fisher, some of the traits of these four types are as follows:
Explorers tend to regard courting as entertainment.They are highly sensitive to the world around them and like the pleasures of the senses. They want someone to go adventuring with them--a playmate.It is easy for them to laugh at themselves. They entertain, even perform. They like music that is intense and complicated. Most have a good deal of experience at dating. They are good at listening and talking. They find self-disclosure difficult. Their attitude toward sex is relaxed. Explorers trust their impulses.

Builders take courtship seriously and believe in good manners, courtesy, etc. Dating is a social activity. They tend to think concretely; like and trust facts. They are cautious and don't choose a partner impulsively. Often uncomfortable with "drama" and can appear unromantic but are dependable and have clear-cut values. They enjoy doing things as a couple within a larger group of friends...they want to belong. Are likely to be the least sexual of the four types. Builders trust their values.

Directors consider dating an expenditure of time and energy. They seek a "mind mate". Are forthright and tend to make decisions quickly. They seek mates who are emotionally expressive, flexible, and have difficulty dealing with "controlling" people. Many have had little dating experience in their youth. They have a take-charge style. Generally have only a few serious relationships before they marry, don't defect easily once they have decided to build a partnership. Their ring fingers are usually at least as long, or longer than their index fingers! They have a high sex drive. Directors trust their logic.

Negotiators seek the ideal partner: someone with whom they can make an intensely intimate, deeply meaningful, inspiring and spiritual connection. They are popular with all types because they are flexible, appreciative, affectionate, good at reading other's thoughts and feelings, empathetic and superb at expressing their own ideas and emotions. Prefer to go out with one person at a time, and to avoid social events when getting to know someone. Can be deeply hurt by rejection. They are the most romantic of the four types. They are more complex than they often seem. Their ring fingers are usually shorter than their index fingers! Sex is an essential part of a partnership but must be mixed with romance, communication and emotional intimacy: sex and love are intertwined. They have a rich fantasy life, which can be tarnished if become disillusioned with their partner's imperfections. Negotiators trust their intuition.

Your Analysis (Vertical line = Average)

• You scored 24% on Explorer, higher than 33% of your peers.

• You scored 25% on Builder, higher than 56% of your peers.

• You scored 27% on Director, higher than 56% of your peers.

• You scored 32% on Negotiator, higher than 70% of your peers.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You scored: 15 as Explorer, 22 as Builder, 27 as Director, 20 as Negotiator.

So that makes me a DIRECTOR/Builder.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
Well, OK, I admit: It's interesting to look at this stuff in terms of chemicals, mainly because that means you can afflict your personality differently if you do the right things.

It's not (overly) tough to increase dopamine and/or testosterone levels, for instance. Serotonin and Estrogen, I'm not as sure.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I've found a link for this test online: OkCupid.com: Take Why You? Why Me? Test

You scored: 13 as Explorer, 26 as Builder, 26 as Director, 15 as Negotiator.

According to Dr. Fisher, some of the traits of these four types are as follows:

Explorers tend to regard courting as entertainment.They are highly sensitive to the world around them and like the pleasures of the senses. They want someone to go adventuring with them--a playmate.It is easy for them to laugh at themselves. They entertain, even perform. They like music that is intense and complicated. Most have a good deal of experience at dating. They are good at listening and talking. They find self-disclosure difficult. Their attitude toward sex is relaxed. Explorers trust their impulses.

Builders take courtship seriously and believe in good manners, courtesy, etc. Dating is a social activity. They tend to think concretely; like and trust facts. They are cautious and don't choose a partner impulsively. Often uncomfortable with "drama" and can appear unromantic but are dependable and have clear-cut values. They enjoy doing things as a couple within a larger group of friends...they want to belong. Are likely to be the least sexual of the four types. Builders trust their values.

Directors consider dating an expenditure of time and energy. They seek a "mind mate". Are forthright and tend to make decisions quickly. They seek mates who are emotionally expressive, flexible, and have difficulty dealing with "controlling" people. Many have had little dating experience in their youth. They have a take-charge style. Generally have only a few serious relationships before they marry, don't defect easily once they have decided to build a partnership. Their ring fingers are usually at least as long, or longer than their index fingers! They have a high sex drive. Directors trust their logic.

In a mate choice study, Dr. Fisher found people were attracted by whom they chose to meet for a first date as follows:

Female Male

Explorers - Explorers

Builders - Builders

Directors - Negotiators

Negotiators - Directors

I think this works much better as a way to choose a partner than a personality thing (In that respect it's quite limited). Anyway, here's my result.

You scored:
20 as Explorer,
22 as Builder,
31 as Director,
32 as Negotiator.

I still don't agree with this, really, particularly the director thing, which seems very EXTJ. I got it because I think about things before I do them and because I am logical. The fact that my highest was negotiator fits in well with my earlier post on being an emotional T. I had a feeling I'd get that. It's basically my ideal partner style. But it fails as a personality analyser.