User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default What cognitive functions are often confused with each other and how are they confused

Answer the question.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Naturally, the attitudes of functions are often confused (Se vs Si; Ne vs Ni; Te vs Ti; Fe vs Fi), because the difference is simply the internal or external standard the process is using, and each one really does a little of both (starts from its preferred orientation, flows tot he opposite, and then flows back to the starting point). So it can be hard to tell external vs internal, since both are involved.

After that, it can be hard to decipher Je/Ji/Pe/Pi, especially the introverted functions, which are deeper, and often not as "visible" on the outside. Particularly Ti vs Fi there's often a lot of problems with.
    Si is easy, but because Ni can be hard to understand, then even Si vs Ni can be confused a times. Like you can get a sense of "what will happen" from referencing Si, but many ill interpret that as Ni. Ni involves memory as well (since it's internal perception), but that's usually associated with Si.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Naturally, the attitudes of functions are often confused (Se vs Si; Ne vs Ni; Te vs Ti; Fe vs Fi), because the difference is simply the internal or external standard the process is using, and each one really does a little of both (starts from its preferred orientation, flows tot he opposite, and then flows back to the starting point). So it can be hard to tell external vs internal, since both are involved.

After that, it can be hard to decipher Je/Ji/Pe/Pi, especially the introverted functions, which are deeper, and often not as "visible" on the outside. Particularly Ti vs Fi there's often a lot of problems with.
    Si is easy, but because Ni can be hard to understand, then even Si vs Ni can be confused a times. Like you can get a sense of "what will happen" from referencing Si, but many ill interpret that as Ni. Ni involves memory as well (since it's internal perception), but that's usually associated with Si.
    You're on this site too? Awesome! Anyway, I know that I beat it to death, but am still trying to understand the differences between an ENFP and ENTP (Ti vs. Fi) and tell them apart.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ne and Fe. Se and Te. Si and Fi.

Ne and Fe because of their "melding" or mirroring with other people.

Se and Te because of their matter-of-fact ways that can come across as aggressive or blunt.

Si and Fi because of their deeply personal nature that is utter subjectivity, and in both cases rather emotional. Where as Fi says "this is good, this is bad!" Si says "this is the way it's supposed to be, this is not the way it's supposed to be!" Both can be very concerned with achieving a particular aesthetic too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    You're on this site too? Awesome! Anyway, I know that I beat it to death, but am still trying to understand the differences between an ENFP and ENTP (Ti vs. Fi) and tell them apart.
    So you were from PerC all that time? I know the name is quite familiar, and I thought you were over here as well, but I see you just joined.

ENFP and ENTP are very similar, because of the same dominant, and it's extraverted, and also informative (same Interaction Style). So both are bright and airy in person. But the T vs F wll come out as the ENTP being more "tough-minded" (as Keirsey puts it), with the typical competitiveness, playing to "win" and have the last word, etc. The ENFP will be more about harmony.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)

Type Ideas

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

people seem to be confusing functions with each others all the time and often do it pretty randomly. like Te with Ni, Ni with Fi etc. also it seems to be more happening more often that people see something that is an collaboration between functions(or not function related at all) and see it being some one function.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Ne and Fe. Se and Te. Si and Fi.

Ne and Fe because of their "melding" or mirroring with other people.

Se and Te because of their matter-of-fact ways that can come across as aggressive or blunt.

Si and Fi because of their deeply personal nature that is utter subjectivity, and in both cases rather emotional. Where as Fi says "this is good, this is bad!" Si says "this is the way it's supposed to be, this is not the way it's supposed to be!" Both can be very concerned with achieving a particular aesthetic too.
    Im not really sure about those comparisons, because in every case it is a perceiving function vs a judging function. One takes information in and the other evaluates it.

I would find it hard to confuse one with the other being as how they govern different operations of the mind. For example Si might be feeding someone an automatic wealth of information that might induce an instinct of 'this is how things should be' but they wont be attaching an emotion to it.

To attach an emotion to it, it would have to have already been brought in through perception, so it is more likely that this is part of a judging function and while emotion is not the entire story of the feeling functions, it is most probable that it will be a feeling function evaluating this.

However if that is what you have seen fair enough.

From what ive seen though, people are more likely to mix up the same perceiving/judging functions with different attitudes.

Fi/Fe being one of the worst followed by Ni/Ne. Ti/Te are both actually very distinct and most people dont have too much trouble with them, but im once again going off my own observations here so someone elses experience could be different.
    Although I have seen Ni/Si problems before as well.

Interestingly I havn't seen much Se/Si but they are also fairly distinct, on the other hand there is a much smaller population of sensors on forums like these compared with intuitives, but whether this is because there really are less sensors, or because people often mistype themselves as intuitives because of some developed bias is not clear.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    So you were from PerC all that time? I know the name is quite familiar, and I thought you were over here as well, but I see you just joined.

ENFP and ENTP are very similar, because of the same dominant, and it's extraverted, and also informative (same Interaction Style). So both are bright and airy in person. But the T vs F wll come out as the ENTP being more "tough-minded" (as Keirsey puts it), with the typical competitiveness, playing to "win" and have the last word, etc. The ENFP will be more about harmony.
    I'm extremely competitive and always want the last word. It's just that if I have certain friends who I know are really sensitive, I will tone it down and be more diplomatic in my approach. Also, sometimes there are people that I back down to because I am afraid of them.

On a side note, I was banned from PerC for bullshit reasons by Promethea, but that's all just water under the bridge. I'm here now, and I enjoy it here.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I as an ISTP am in a TiNi loop and those functions easily get me confused for having the functions of an INTP or INTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    On a side note, I was banned from PerC for bullshit reasons by Promethea, but that's all just water under the bridge. I'm here now, and I enjoy it here.
    Oh yeah, that's why your name stood out. I remember seeing that, and wondering why. I never really realized how strict they were until I checked out the infraction thread recently.

Type Ideas