• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What cognitive functions are often confused with each other and how are they confused

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Naturally, the attitudes of functions are often confused (Se vs Si; Ne vs Ni; Te vs Ti; Fe vs Fi), because the difference is simply the internal or external standard the process is using, and each one really does a little of both (starts from its preferred orientation, flows tot he opposite, and then flows back to the starting point). So it can be hard to tell external vs internal, since both are involved.

After that, it can be hard to decipher Je/Ji/Pe/Pi, especially the introverted functions, which are deeper, and often not as "visible" on the outside. Particularly Ti vs Fi there's often a lot of problems with.
Si is easy, but because Ni can be hard to understand, then even Si vs Ni can be confused a times. Like you can get a sense of "what will happen" from referencing Si, but many ill interpret that as Ni. Ni involves memory as well (since it's internal perception), but that's usually associated with Si.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Naturally, the attitudes of functions are often confused (Se vs Si; Ne vs Ni; Te vs Ti; Fe vs Fi), because the difference is simply the internal or external standard the process is using, and each one really does a little of both (starts from its preferred orientation, flows tot he opposite, and then flows back to the starting point). So it can be hard to tell external vs internal, since both are involved.

After that, it can be hard to decipher Je/Ji/Pe/Pi, especially the introverted functions, which are deeper, and often not as "visible" on the outside. Particularly Ti vs Fi there's often a lot of problems with.
Si is easy, but because Ni can be hard to understand, then even Si vs Ni can be confused a times. Like you can get a sense of "what will happen" from referencing Si, but many ill interpret that as Ni. Ni involves memory as well (since it's internal perception), but that's usually associated with Si.

You're on this site too? Awesome! Anyway, I know that I beat it to death, but am still trying to understand the differences between an ENFP and ENTP (Ti vs. Fi) and tell them apart.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ne and Fe. Se and Te. Si and Fi.

Ne and Fe because of their "melding" or mirroring with other people.

Se and Te because of their matter-of-fact ways that can come across as aggressive or blunt.

Si and Fi because of their deeply personal nature that is utter subjectivity, and in both cases rather emotional. Where as Fi says "this is good, this is bad!" Si says "this is the way it's supposed to be, this is not the way it's supposed to be!" Both can be very concerned with achieving a particular aesthetic too.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're on this site too? Awesome! Anyway, I know that I beat it to death, but am still trying to understand the differences between an ENFP and ENTP (Ti vs. Fi) and tell them apart.
So you were from PerC all that time? I know the name is quite familiar, and I thought you were over here as well, but I see you just joined.

ENFP and ENTP are very similar, because of the same dominant, and it's extraverted, and also informative (same Interaction Style). So both are bright and airy in person. But the T vs F wll come out as the ENTP being more "tough-minded" (as Keirsey puts it), with the typical competitiveness, playing to "win" and have the last word, etc. The ENFP will be more about harmony.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
people seem to be confusing functions with each others all the time and often do it pretty randomly. like Te with Ni, Ni with Fi etc. also it seems to be more happening more often that people see something that is an collaboration between functions(or not function related at all) and see it being some one function.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Se and Te because of their matter-of-fact ways that can come across as aggressive or blunt.

Si and Fi because of their deeply personal nature that is utter subjectivity, and in both cases rather emotional. Where as Fi says "this is good, this is bad!" Si says "this is the way it's supposed to be, this is not the way it's supposed to be!" Both can be very concerned with achieving a particular aesthetic too.

Im not really sure about those comparisons, because in every case it is a perceiving function vs a judging function. One takes information in and the other evaluates it.

I would find it hard to confuse one with the other being as how they govern different operations of the mind. For example Si might be feeding someone an automatic wealth of information that might induce an instinct of 'this is how things should be' but they wont be attaching an emotion to it.

To attach an emotion to it, it would have to have already been brought in through perception, so it is more likely that this is part of a judging function and while emotion is not the entire story of the feeling functions, it is most probable that it will be a feeling function evaluating this.

However if that is what you have seen fair enough.

From what ive seen though, people are more likely to mix up the same perceiving/judging functions with different attitudes.

Fi/Fe being one of the worst followed by Ni/Ne. Ti/Te are both actually very distinct and most people dont have too much trouble with them, but im once again going off my own observations here so someone elses experience could be different.
Although I have seen Ni/Si problems before as well.

Interestingly I havn't seen much Se/Si but they are also fairly distinct, on the other hand there is a much smaller population of sensors on forums like these compared with intuitives, but whether this is because there really are less sensors, or because people often mistype themselves as intuitives because of some developed bias is not clear.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So you were from PerC all that time? I know the name is quite familiar, and I thought you were over here as well, but I see you just joined.

ENFP and ENTP are very similar, because of the same dominant, and it's extraverted, and also informative (same Interaction Style). So both are bright and airy in person. But the T vs F wll come out as the ENTP being more "tough-minded" (as Keirsey puts it), with the typical competitiveness, playing to "win" and have the last word, etc. The ENFP will be more about harmony.

I'm extremely competitive and always want the last word. It's just that if I have certain friends who I know are really sensitive, I will tone it down and be more diplomatic in my approach. Also, sometimes there are people that I back down to because I am afraid of them.

On a side note, I was banned from PerC for bullshit reasons by Promethea, but that's all just water under the bridge. I'm here now, and I enjoy it here.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I as an ISTP am in a TiNi loop and those functions easily get me confused for having the functions of an INTP or INTJ.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On a side note, I was banned from PerC for bullshit reasons by Promethea, but that's all just water under the bridge. I'm here now, and I enjoy it here.
Oh yeah, that's why your name stood out. I remember seeing that, and wondering why. I never really realized how strict they were until I checked out the infraction thread recently.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I as an ISTP am in a TiNi loop and those functions easily get me confused for having the functions of an INTP or INTJ.

Yeah, I test heavy for Ni as well. I think that Ne<Ti could easily be confused for Ni.

Oh yeah, that's why your name stood out. I remember seeing that, and wondering why. I never really realized how strict they were until I checked out the infraction thread recently.

1. So do you think that I am indeed ENTP?

2. Yes, there is no open protest on that site at all. They will just ban you and be done with you. You can't repeal your ban either, because they won't respond back to you. The site is very much like the Gestapo. The only person that I have ever known that has been perma banned from that site and got it repealed was "Timeless" and that's it.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never stopped and analyzed you, but from what I see, ENTP looks like it would fit.

I should also mention Se and Te as possibly being confused for each other, because both are often described in terms of “taking action”. (Especially in descriptions of “shadow” uses of them).
The thing to remember is that one involves taking in of information, including “experience” (i. e. irrational), and the other is making a rational decision about something.

Last edited:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFP and ENTP (Ti vs. Fi) and tell them apart.

Both:

Social, warm, talkative, open, lax, enthusiastic, generally up for anything, interested in adventure, love exploration and discovery, enjoy pushing boundaries, seek novelty.

Differences:

ENTP is more interested in observing and figuring out people; ENFP is more interested in interacting and connecting with people.
ENTP generally considers emotion separate from identity; ENFP generally laces emotion into identity.
ENTP often pursues novelty through invention and technology; ENFP often pursues novelty through exploration of cultures and spiritualities.
ENTP is more rebellious; ENFP more of a protester.
ENTPs are charismatic and arrogant; ENFPs are charming and stubborn.

More, jacked from PerC, though I omitted the ones that I find inaccurate -

Elfrun said:
An ENFP can be very sensitive and easily discouraged by other people. As an ENTP its damn near impossible to offend, upset or discourage me.
An ENFP needs to be in contact with people and influence them in a positive way. As an ENTP I like people but mostly I just want to study them to figure out the human condition.
An ENFP wants to feel loved and supported. As an ENTP I want to feel respected and admired.
An ENFP sees things as right vs wrong and ethical vs unethical. As an ENTP I see things as correct vs incorrect and logical vs illogical.
An ENFP can be quite expressive. As an ENTP I can be less expressive.
An ENFP is more likely to adapt their emotional expressions to those they’re interacting with. As an ENTP I’m more likely to mirror emotional expressions.
An ENFP likes to resonate with what someone else is saying and is more likely to argue using persuasion. As an ENTP debating is sport and I have no problems switching sides, I’m more likely use facts.

dogwoodlover said:
In a time of despair, an ENFP will comfort you and give you a big hug, while an ENTP will make a joke out of it and hand you a beer.

SShack said:
Freedom Geek said:
An ENTP will invent a machine, a ENFP will invent a cult.
Actually, I have come up with ideas for cults, too. I just don't think I could bear to be around the kind of person who would join a cult for too long.)

:laugh:

Blues69 said:
The best two words I would choose to describe an ENTP are cunning and clever.
The best two words I would choose to describe an ENFP are supporting and expressive.

larkin said:
ENFPs seek [more] to be understood, ENTPs seek [more] to understand.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, I have come up with ideas for cults, too. I just don't think I could bear to be around the kind of person who would join a cult for too long.)
This is very accurate for me. Outsmarting fools gets boring quickly. That's why NTJs are the ones that will dominate the world.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is very accurate for me. Outsmarting fools gets boring quickly. That's why NTJs are the ones that will dominate the world.

I'm glad you've been reading up on the INTP and INTJ world domination threads, and even though INTJs will dominate the world, INTPs (with ISTPs like I could be) will dominate the Universe!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've never stopped and analyzed you, but from what I see, ENTP looks like it would fit.

I should also mention Se and Te as possibly being confused for each other, because both are often described in terms of “taking action”. (Especially in descriptions of “shadow” uses of them).
The thing to remember is that one involves taking in of information, including “experience” (i. e. irrational), and the other is making a rational decision about something.

1. So if I can ask you, would you give me a detailed explanation of why I seem more ENTP? I need things broken down and explained to me. I can't things at face value, and I am a natural skeptic. I automatically don't believe people. I am not sure why.

Both:

Social, warm, talkative, open, lax, enthusiastic, generally up for anything, interested in adventure, love exploration and discovery, enjoy pushing boundaries, seek novelty.

Differences:

ENTP is more interested in observing and figuring out people; ENFP is more interested in interacting and connecting with people.
ENTP generally considers emotion separate from identity; ENFP generally laces emotion into identity.
ENTP often pursues novelty through invention and technology; ENFP often pursues novelty through exploration of cultures and spiritualities.
ENTP is more rebellious; ENFP more of a protester.
ENTPs are charismatic and arrogant; ENFPs are charming and stubborn.

I relate to all of the bolded.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Believe it or not, I think Ni and Ti can look similar sometimes. Also, Ne and Se when physical activity is involved.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Omg you're a genius! Yes! I totally see what you mean. Oh, what about Ni?

To above poster, I really am puzzled as to how you can confuse Fi with Ti. Fi seems to be so clearly different from Ti to me (but no, I can't explain how, sorry)