• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What cognitive functions are often confused with each other and how are they confused

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
skylights said:

Social, warm, talkative, open, lax, enthusiastic, generally up for anything, interested in adventure, love exploration and discovery, enjoy pushing boundaries, seek novelty.

Differences:

ENTP is more interested in observing and figuring out people; ENFP is more interested in interacting and connecting with people.
completely wrong, my purpose is to understand them, i interact with them to understand them (actually, not only, but also)
ENTP generally considers emotion separate from identity; ENFP generally laces emotion into identity.
completely stupid (with all due respect). ENFP different than Fe and my identity is in fact separate from emotions (outward emotions), and comes from Ne first and foremost.
ENTP often pursues novelty through invention and technology; ENFP often pursues novelty through exploration of cultures and spiritualities.
ENTP is more rebellious; ENFP more of a protester.
what does this mean? I've always been "rebellious"
ENTPs are charismatic and arrogant; ENFPs are charming and stubborn.
stereotype

And no, Im definitely not an ENTP
I just bet you're neither an ENFP nor an ENTP or you wouldn't be making these observations.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. So if I can ask you, would you give me a detailed explanation of why I seem more ENTP? I need things broken down and explained to me. I can't things at face value, and I am a natural skeptic. I automatically don't believe people. I am not sure why.
It's basically a vibe. This is a subtle thing, based on how you compare to other known ENTP's, and function preference (you do seem more like a T than an F), and the most obvious thing, Interaction Style (Get Things Going: extraverted, informative communication, where "directives" tend to be "dryer" in speech, or more "serious" sounding). The only GTG who prefers Thinking is the ENTP.

This is just a basic impression, and you can't go only on a vibe or push it as absolute; as I have not consciously analyzed your communication, so it's like what in visualization would be "out of the corner of my eye" thing; "yeah, it seems to fit". I could always be wrong, but it's just a guess to confirm what you seem to be leaning to already, which is supposed to be the most important part of an MBTI analysis.

ENTP is more interested in observing and figuring out people; ENFP is more interested in interacting and connecting with people.
completely wrong, my purpose is to understand them, i interact with them to understand them (actually, not only, but also)
For the ENTP, it will be "understanding" them in a more "impersonal" sense (what I call "technical", and "understanding" is often thought of in technical terms). For the ENFP, "understanding" will be more personal or "humane", which is what "connecting" is supposed to convey. (I know, these terms are very ambiguous. I believe "technical vs humane" are the lest ambiguous ones that I could find, for now).

Think of this focus roughly as looking at people as "living things".
ENTP would see "living things", and ENFP would see "living things".
ENTP generally considers emotion separate from identity; ENFP generally laces emotion into identity.
completely stupid (with all due respect). ENFP different than Fe and my identity is in fact separate from emotions (outward emotions), and comes from Ne first and foremost.
You're looking at "identity" in terms of the dominant ego standpoint, but the auxiliary will come into play, and while F≠emotions, it does generally make you more in tune with them, so they might figure more in your sense of "identity".
When you ponder your identity, do you take your emotions into account, or do you normally detach completely from them? That's probably what he means.
I think he means more actively rebellious. Another difference between the two types is cooperative vs pragmatic. NF's, while protesting things they think are wrong, still want harmony overall, and will be less likely to let's say, directly, singlehandedly overturn something. They might speak against it, and try to move everyone to take action. Hence, "protest" as opposed to "rebel", which he probably meant to convey in a personal sense, where a lone man tries to go against the system.
Again, language is ambiguous, so "protesting" can be considered "rebelling".

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
skylights said:

Social, warm, talkative, open, lax, enthusiastic, generally up for anything, interested in adventure, love exploration and discovery, enjoy pushing boundaries, seek novelty.

Differences:

ENTP often pursues novelty through invention and technology; ENFP often pursues novelty through exploration of cultures and spiritualities.
ENTPs are charismatic and arrogant; ENFPs are charming and stubborn.
stereotype

And no, Im definitely not an ENTP
I just bet you're neither an ENFP nor an ENTP or you wouldn't be making these observations.

:shrug:

Sometimes a big overall picture of generalities can be helpful to capture a gestalt. They're not meant to be intensive detailed explanations to be broken down into tiny pieces, and not everyone will relate to all of the statements exactly the way they're written. I don't relate to all of them, but I am not every ENFP and ENTP. Still, they're presented to create an overall picture, an "atmosphere" of what each type is like. I figured this would be helpful for a fellow Ne-dom - it was how I first began suspecting I was not an INFP. I didn't quite fit the "atmosphere" of the type.

As for ENFP, I'm 110% certain, but think what you like.

Eric B said:
It's basically a vibe.

Bingo.

Thank you for the explanations, they're all spot-on. :)

I'm a she, btw! :laugh:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION]

[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]

[MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

Everyone keeps saying that I am ENTP, but there's just one thing that makes no sense to me: I seem to use way more Fe than Ti. I don't think anyone has ever seen me and thought that I was a T. If you asked 90% of people that know me whether I am an thinker or feeler they would say feeler. For instance, ever since I can remember I have always been able to feel the emotions of others very strongly. Up until I went into sales a few years ago, I was a very easy person to take advantage of. I just felt so bad for others that I just felt like I had a natural inclination to take care of them. Care taking and just making others feel good just feels so natural to me. I think that the worst thing in life to me is seeing others hurt. I just really can't stand it.

One thing that really illustrates this point is back when I used to work in an Asian restaurant. They used to boil crabs alive in that restaurant and you could hear the things screaming. It was so awful to me, and I could barely stand it. I don't know why but it was like seeing the crab suffer made me suffer as well. Also, I seriously thought about taking a career as a criminal justice lawyer, because I am pretty damn good at stating my case and manipulating people and large crowds in particular. However, I later reconsidered because I know that I would have to defend people that I knew were guilty. Now if it was a crime that was stupid to me like selling pot, I probably wouldn't really give a damn because to me I can't really see it hurting that many people. However, if I had to defend someone that I knew raped a poor innocent woman for instance it would really bother me. I would view it as helping a man to get out of a horrible crime that hurt a woman. Things that others would consider immoral don't really bother me unless they hurt people: when things hurt people I have a big problem with them.

Also, I tend to adapt to my surroundings and can instantly know how others are feeling about me. Now because I automatically know how others feel about me, it feels really awesome to go into a room where I know that others love me. Plus, the opposite is true as well: when I go to a place where others hate me, I almost can't live with myself. However I should also point out that I don't do the Fi thing and stay true to who I am, often times I will change and my personality will change in order to fit the the crowd I am with. In fact often times I can even come off as fake. Doesn't this seem more Fe dom to you guys?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You limited the options to ENTP and ENFP, why?

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
You're definitely using Fe a lot. ENTP is definitely still possible. Though have you thought about ExFJ?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

No, I have not limited the options to ENFP and ENTP. Really I think I'm either ENTP or ENFJ. I often test ENFJ when I take the tests and ENTP as well. I somehow use Fe<Ti. I'm pretty damn sure about that. What good ways to tell the two apart?

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

No, I have not limited the options to ENFP and ENTP. Really I think I'm either ENTP or ENFJ. I often test ENFJ when I take the tests and ENTP as well. I somehow use Fe<Ti. I'm pretty damn sure about that. What good ways to tell the two apart?

Big difference. Whether you're using Ne and Si or Ni and Se.

Btw, I felt similar when I was steaming crabs for dinner once hahahaha :laugh:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Big difference. Whether you're using Ne and Si or Ni and Se.

Btw, I felt similar when I was steaming crabs for dinner once hahahaha :laugh:

I get this when I take the cognitive functions test....
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************ (36.1)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******** (8.8)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************* (25.3)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************* (31.6)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************************* (45.1)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************** (20)
limited use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INTP, or ENFJ

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You could have a strong tertiary Fe.
Also, the crab thing could be "right-brain alternative Crow's Nest" Fi. I relate to that too, and Feeling is even lower (inferior) for me. Notice how it is a really negative situation. Not your normal perspective, but it does reflect Ti, because it is Ti that would recognize the technical commonality of you and another living thing, and then the humane part of it kicks in, and you can personally relate to it. This part of it is not conscious, but just pops up in a situation like that.

As for ENFJ, that type is "directive" ("In Charge" Interaction Style), and from what I see, you don't seem directive.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Everyone keeps saying that I am ENTP, but there's just one thing that makes no sense to me: I seem to use way more Fe than Ti. I don't think anyone has ever seen me and thought that I was a T. If you asked 90% of people that know me whether I am an thinker or feeler they would say feeler. For instance, ever since I can remember I have always been able to feel the emotions of others very strongly. Up until I went into sales a few years ago, I was a very easy person to take advantage of. I just felt so bad for others that I just felt like I had a natural inclination to take care of them. Care taking and just making others feel good just feels so natural to me. I think that the worst thing in life to me is seeing others hurt. I just really can't stand it.

One thing that really illustrates this point is back when I used to work in an Asian restaurant. They used to boil crabs alive in that restaurant and you could hear the things screaming. It was so awful to me, and I could barely stand it. I don't know why but it was like seeing the crab suffer made me suffer as well. Also, I seriously thought about taking a career as a criminal justice lawyer, because I am pretty damn good at stating my case and manipulating people and large crowds in particular. However, I later reconsidered because I know that I would have to defend people that I knew were guilty. Now if it was a crime that was stupid to me like selling pot, I probably wouldn't really give a damn because to me I can't really see it hurting that many people. However, if I had to defend someone that I knew raped a poor innocent woman for instance it would really bother me. I would view it as helping a man to get out of a horrible crime that hurt a woman. Things that others would consider immoral don't really bother me unless they hurt people: when things hurt people I have a big problem with them.

Also, I tend to adapt to my surroundings and can instantly know how others are feeling about me. Now because I automatically know how others feel about me, it feels really awesome to go into a room where I know that others love me. Plus, the opposite is true as well: when I go to a place where others hate me, I almost can't live with myself. However I should also point out that I don't do the Fi thing and stay true to who I am, often times I will change and my personality will change in order to fit the the crowd I am with. In fact often times I can even come off as fake. Doesn't this seem more Fe dom to you guys?

what you said here about feeling the pain of others is empathy, it happens because you are mirroring others and when you are mirroring someone(or something like a crab) who is in pain, you feel their pain. ENFPs are the type that tends to mirror others the most. this isnt really function related, all types are capable of doing this, but ENFPs do this the most in general(some people with type thats notoriously bad at this might do this more than some ENFP), next INFPs, then INFJs i think, so its not Fe that you are seeing here.

this adaptation to the needs of the world is called persona, its not the real personality, but comes from the greek(or was it latin?) word meaning mask of an actor(in old days theater actors wore a mask), which kinda explains what its about, its a compromise between your needs and the needs of the world. this also is not a type related, except that persona is an act of extraversion, so extraverts tend to wear this sort of mask more often and tend not be so in tune with the real internal self, except when getting older. but from what i have observed(from one ENTP and few ENFPs irl and many of them online), young ENFPs tend to use this sort of mask more, since they are more agreeable to the needs of external world, thus adjust more easier and compromising more with this than ENTPs, while ENTPs seem to have this "i dont really care all that much" attitude, but not sending out negative vibes either. but when it comes to relationships, it seems that ENTPs are way more willing to adjust to just about anything, while ENFPs need to stay more true to themselves. with friends and other acquaintances, if you adjust to your surroundings, its not so much about sacrificing your true self so much, its more about being agreeable with stuff that are less important than being able to have fun. naturally this would be different if the activity would be hunting with an ENFP who is vegetarian, because he doesent want to kill animals for his own pleasure, then it would be about sacrificing true self in order to adjust to surroundings, but more often activities you do with your friends arent like this.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION]

I really appreciate you guys trying to help me figure out my type and/or functions. Now I'm thinking that I could possibly be mistaking Fe for Fi + a social variant and my Ni for Ne + Ti, or my Ne for Ni + Se. Now Eric B said that if he sees a person speak he can easily differentiate Se from Ne, and Ti from Fi. Therefore I made a second video of myself answering general typing questions. Now the video is somewhat long (8 minutes) so be forewarned. But, I think this should help. Also please note that my room mates were sleeping when I made this video so I kind of had to speak softly, so turn up volume on your computer so that you can hear me. Here is the video....

http://youtu.be/Gv626VFxCVA

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION]

[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]

[MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

No, it tends toward ENFP.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I talked with [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] over the phone, and he said I seemed ENTP...
Though, now I think he is ENFP...

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I talked with [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] over the phone, and he said I seemed ENTP...
Though, now I think he is ENFP...

The Great One is ENTP because he needs a bunch of advice from other people, rather than trusting his own individual feelings on things, along with technical stuff.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Great One is ENTP because he needs a bunch of advice from other people, rather than trusting his own individual feelings on things, along with technical stuff.

Well, I do that too, to an extent. I thought he said that was an E6 thing, though.