First 34567 Last

Thread: Fe and Te?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Ti searches for things like internal consistency in logic while Te looks for external consistency. Te will be satisfied with a model that obtains consistent results, while Ti might find something logically 'wrong' with the model based on what is known about things in the model and discredit it based on that.
    So Te is more concerned with the validity of held truths, while Ti takes it one step deeper/further and is concerned with the soundness of things being held true?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    So Te is more concerned with the validity of held truths, while Ti takes it one step deeper/further and is concerned with the soundness of things being held true?
    I think so.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

even though it seems no one's really listening to me at this point, i'd say they're both concerned with validity and soundness.

Ti doesn't care about implementation, though.
    Te does care about implementation.

so Te is more often used on information that can be concretely acted upon, whereas Ti is more often used to just figure out how stuff works.

for example, Te would be used to analyze the question "how many cigarettes can i fit into this cigarette case?". Ti would be used to answer the question "is this thing in front of me a cigarette case?"

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    even though it seems no one's really listening to me at this point, i'd say they're both concerned with validity and soundness.

so Te is more often used on information that can be concretely acted upon, whereas Ti is more often used to just figure out how stuff works.

for example, Te would be used to analyze the question "how many cigarettes can i fit into this cigarette case?". Ti would be used to answer the question "is this thing in front of me a cigarette case?"
    If that's the case, I feel bad for Ti dominants, living with perpetual doubt/uncertainty is *not* fun. :sad:
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

If that's the case, I feel bad for Ti dominants, living with perpetual doubt/uncertainty is *not* fun. :sad:
    Don't say it too loud, some INTP's might hear...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

heh, Ti can be used for much more than that.

i was just trying to come up with a question who's answer isn't implementable.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Don't say it too loud, some INTP's might hear...
    Yes.

They do not want your pity.

Trust me on this one. It's not Ni speaking on this, either -- it's past experience with a black eye to show for it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post

Te sounds practical, Ti sounds theoretical.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well, a lot have already been said about Fe.

But there's a point I'd like to make clear. According to our type, we may not have the same perception of the same function, because we do not use it the same way, in the same order, and for the same purpose.

As an ENTP, the way we use our tertiary Fe is completely different from a Dom Fe like what you would expect in an ExFJ. It's the same function, we may both have a good amount of it, but it's not the same goal.

The "fake" Fe you describe probably rather refer to a tertiary Fe.

Anyway, an ExFJ will never use his/her Fe the same way I would, so he/she may describe a completely different point of view, and be genuinely perplexed when you say his/her dominant function is "fake" or "insincere".
    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    These expressions you're talking about usually come with Ti or Fi being in the inferior (and sometimes tertiary) functions. Fi may be self-absorbed but in a dominant/auxillary position it respects that others are self-absorbed, too, and work on that assumption. Fe doesn't do that and rather looks at known expectations for behavior.

Fi will try to seek deeply into somebody for understanding and be quite merciful with what it finds. Fe, however, will find something 'wrong' and try to fix it so that the person is happier, whether the person wants it or not.
    The distinction is between "preferred" and "nonpreferred" functions (the first and second pairs, respectively). The preferred functions seem to be more seriously used, while the nonpreferred are less serious. According to the Archetype theory, Tertiary is "eternal child' or "relief", while inferior is "aspirational". The first pair are "hero" and "parent".
    So yes, they are very different. It has been observed how TJ's are the most directive, while FP's are the least so. Yet they share the same Te/Fi arm or spine in the primary range; only reversed in preference. And that makes them almost opposite. The same with The FJ's (the most cooperative) and TP's (most pragmatic) with Fe/Ti.
    Last edited by Eric B; 05-06-2008 at 10:02 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Ti is what's in your head.

Te is what's in your face.