User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 94

Thread: Fe and Te?

  1. #21
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    How strange. I was discussing this very topic via PM with somebody yesterday. It was mostly focused on the difference between Fi and Fe.

    I said I found Fi to be scary because it's just too damn conclusive for me. Too black and white. I feel the world is just too complex to see things in terms of just right and wrong. Fi values just seem so set in stone and impregnable.

    My friend said that Fe is scary because it is flexible. Fe seems too bent on changing to please the mood of the moment.

    I would say at its best that Fe is adaptable values and its purpose is to seek the greatest harmony for the greatest number of people. In fact, I feel great discourse with those whose values lie outside of the general population's acceptable values and who refuse to compromise even a little for the harmony of everyone.

    Whereas Fi at its best is a passionate vision of what is the best values for everyone (or just for that individual). It stands by that vision, even at the sacrifice of harmony.

    Te and Ti is much simpler.

    Te is organizing, building, ect. Ti is defining, clarifying, ect. I like to think of it as Te is glue and Ti is a razor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    it only cares about the feelings of the present moment. Ni and Si contain the actual code of values you're referring to.



    again, the code of values is actually stored in Ni or Si. Fe just cares about the users feelings associated with the outside world in the moment.



    sorry to sound like a broken record, but that assumption lies in the introverted perception functions.
    You sound like you are innacurately limiting the repetoire of a function. Fi values see things as innately good or bad and build off of that to make a decision. You can play a semantic trick and say that our viewpoints are based on experience and perception, but that's irrelivent. Fe values are a much longer list of correct behaviors, and has moral codes that extend beyond a specific moment. The 'feeling of the moment' behavoir that people are afraid of is probably a banal shadow/possibly demonic behavior, and probably isn't even Feeling most of the time.

  3. #23
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    i'm just attempting to make sense of these functions, and this the only simple and completely logically valid system i've come up with.

    it's not a semantic trick. obviously an xxFP has an experience that weighs past decisions made by Fi more heavily than an xxTPs experience.

    and an xxFJ will of course have a longer list of "correct" behaviors because their experience is focused more on the feelings of the external world.

    why do you even disagree? i'm totally open to constructive criticism.

    i don't even really care if i'm changing some definitions around a bit. the system i knew before didn't make sense to me and this one does. what's wrong with this system?

  4. #24
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    I don't really see how perceiving functions (internal or external) can hold values. They influence what is noticed/retained and thus the inputs. But they don't inherently hold values... that's the duty of the judging functions.

    The system I see is the following:

    Perceiving functions -> memory -> interpretation -> Judging functions -> output decision.

    Judging functions act on the fly. At any given situation, there's always the process of "what do I think/feel about this" prior to the decision. Consistency across time (the so call values) is simply application of judging functions consistently across different situations when given similar inputs.

  5. #25
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    all judging functions are deductive.

    Te assumes that the outer world is most important
    Fe assumes that feelings about the outer world are most important
    Ti assumes, well, nothing
    Fi assumes feelings are most important

    they all factor in the above premises and the information they get from perceiving functions and make deductions.

    anyone have thoughts on that?
    Is the outer world everything but yourself? Would Ti and Fi be selfish, or self-absorbed functions then?

    According to your definitions, wouldn't someone afflicted with Ti be delusional, and someone afflicted with Fi be hysterical?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  6. #26
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i'm just attempting to make sense of these functions, and this the only simple and completely logically valid system i've come up with.

    it's not a semantic trick. obviously an xxFP has an experience that weighs past decisions made by Fi more heavily than an xxTPs experience.

    and an xxFJ will of course have a longer list of "correct" behaviors because their experience is focused more on the feelings of the external world.

    why do you even disagree? i'm totally open to constructive criticism.

    i don't even really care if i'm changing some definitions around a bit. the system i knew before didn't make sense to me and this one does. what's wrong with this system?
    Moral codes don't exist as perceptions. If you have no judgement, you might know the world is going to end but won't give a damn.

    So the rational functions do the job of constructing the moral code. The feeling functions don't just passively react and 'have feelings'. (burning your hand is a sensation)

    That's how the distinction works.

  7. #27
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I have been reading some of the things said on this forum, and that has raised some doubts and question in my mind.
    I am getting confused about Fe.
    People were saying, its mostly 'fake', a lie. Its just to accommodate the other person/group by playing chameleon. This is making me paranoid! Its making me feel Fe is insincere! How do I believe a person who is Fe? Is it what they're actually feeling, or is it just some big show?
    Maybe I dont know enough about this theory, therefore arriving at wrong judgment. Feel free to correct me please.
    Also, how does the Te work?
    Thank you
    Well, a lot have already been said about Fe.

    But there's a point I'd like to make clear. According to our type, we may not have the same perception of the same function, because we do not use it the same way, in the same order, and for the same purpose.

    As an ENTP, the way we use our tertiary Fe is completely different from a Dom Fe like what you would expect in an ExFJ. It's the same function, we may both have a good amount of it, but it's not the same goal.

    The "fake" Fe you describe probably rather refers to a tertiary Fe. And indeed, my own Fe can look this way (unfortunately).
    It's because despite its magnitude, my Fe is subordinated to my Ti, and thus, I mostly use it to correct my harsh, dry Ti temper. INTPs don't have Fe to mellow their Ti, so you can easily see the huge gap, even in MBTI-c, between us (ENTPs) and them.
    We are social creatures, they [usually] aren't, even if we share the same basic thoughts.

    Do you understand what I mean?

    Anyway, an ExFJ will never use his/her Fe the same way I would, so he/she may describe a completely different point of view, and be genuinely perplexed when you say his/her dominant function is "fake" or "insincere".
    A lot of IxFJs already showed us how Fe looks as an auxiliary function, but I think it would be very interesting to listen what an ExFJ would have to say about it, if we want to see the full panorama of various Fe's.

    ---

    At last.

    Now I will speak for me only (I'll let the other ENTPs comment this if they want). I know I have a very high Fe, even for an ENTP. I've said it can look "fake" or "insincere" (I'd rather say it's simply "diplomatic"), but it's not only this.
    My high tertiary Fe allowed me to develop a genuine interest into others, how they live, how they think, and I appreciate diversity. It allows me to listen to new ideas everywhere, to feed my dominant Ne. I may be caustic and sarcastic sometimes, but I like people as a whole, wherever they come from.
    I smile in crowds whenever I have the opportunity, and I know it's my Fe working. And believe me, the pleasure I feel among my fellow men is not faked.

    So you see, even as a tertiary function, having some Fe is never a negative asset.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  8. #28
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Is the outer world everything but yourself? Would Ti and Fi be selfish, or self-absorbed functions then?

    According to your definitions, wouldn't someone afflicted with Ti be delusional, and someone afflicted with Fi be hysterical?
    These expressions you're talking about usually come with Ti or Fi being in the inferior (and sometimes tertiary) functions. Fi may be self-absorbed but in a dominant/auxillary position it respects that others are self-absorbed, too, and work on that assumption. Fe doesn't do that and rather looks at known expectations for behavior.

    Fi will try to seek deeply into somebody for understanding and be quite merciful with what it finds. Fe, however, will find something 'wrong' and try to fix it so that the person is happier, whether the person wants it or not.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #29
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Oh, and I mentioned 'semantics', because it seems that it is very easy to get lead astray on forums.

  10. #30
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Te is organizing, building, ect. Ti is defining, clarifying, ect. I like to think of it as Te is glue and Ti is a razor.
    So Te is most concerned with synthesizing information while Ti is most concerned with analyzing information?

    If that's the case, I know that I analyze information with the hope and intent of synthesizing cohesive systems of "truth". I enjoy creating categories, not categorizing, if that makes sense.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] Fe(and maybe Te?) Question: Groups and your relationship to them
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
  2. Fe and Te balanced, is this possible?
    By CuriousFeeling in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
  3. Why does Ti always go with Fe and Fi with Te?
    By sofmarhof in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
  4. [Fe] Fe and how it works
    By Poki in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 12:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO