• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How far does MBTI go?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was wondering...just HOW much one's MBTI type can affect one's personality? Like...how far do dominant/auxiliary cognitive functions go in affecting one's personality? What are some of the things it doesn't affect?

(I'm not very good at brainstorming these kinds of things on my own... ^^;; )

deleted
It's not very specific, if that's what you mean. You will read a lot of specific writings about types, more or less like the forer effect, but there is no exact mold, just a theory about 16 imperfect types. I've learned that each person of a type has adapted to different lifestyles, temperaments and beliefs, dependent on genetics and what they're used to.

Last edited:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
pretty much the only thing that you can guarantee is that type describes the input of what answers you made when you took the test or what mood you were in when you assessed yourself :laugh:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well theorhetically, it is possible that the universe is infinite. Conceivably there is another planet out there that is so similar to earth that the difference between the two is minute. On that planet mbti became a religion and eventually there was a war and the istjs killed off all the non istjs. There next goal was obvious. Take over the universe. So if this planet formed say 1 billion years before our own, then their armies of troopers should be entering our solar system in the next few months O.O

Run!

(This is a joke of course :D)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was wondering...just HOW much one's MBTI type can affect one's personality? Like...how far do dominant/auxiliary cognitive functions go in affecting one's personality? What are some of the things it doesn't affect?

(I'm not very good at brainstorming these kinds of things on my own... ^^;; )

Well do functions exist or is it just a construct of the human mind?

Assuming they exist, I would say the ordering of the functions has a pretty significant effect on how one processes information and reacts to it. Cognitive functions would only affect things psychological in nature. It isn't going to affect traits that are purely physical like height, eye color, skin tone, etc.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The functions aren't tangible "things" within us, they're perspectives we are disposed to (and these dispositions would also be where the so-called "order" lies), most likely due to some set of neurological factors. So it's the neurology that affects personality (including behaviors that might be associated with these preferences), but then nothing is ever set in stone with these things.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MBTI is a good personality generalization, but it is not a strict rule of thought and behavior. I do not take it that seriously.