User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Long-term planning. Devising really complex long-term plans, maybe writing them out. Try making a flow-chart of the plan. Once you've finished writing out the plan come up with another one (You don't actually have to do the plans, just come up with them). Try to be innovative with the plan maybe? In coming up with a plan first come up with a problem or a unique, innovative goal. Maybe certain puzzles require you to have an epiphany moment, similar to Ni? I don't know. But I do think long-term planning would be a good exercise in Ni.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorjuice View Post
    Long-term planning. Devising really complex long-term plans, maybe writing them out. Try making a flow-chart of the plan. Once you've finished writing out the plan come up with another one (You don't actually have to do the plans, just come up with them). Try to be innovative with the plan maybe? In coming up with a plan first come up with a problem or a unique, innovative goal. Maybe certain puzzles require you to have an epiphany moment, similar to Ni? I don't know. But I do think long-term planning would be a good exercise in Ni.
    the problem with this is that Ni is perception, planning is not perceiving, its an combination of different functions. in order to plan, you need to define what things are(T), which is worth more doing than another thing(F), to look at possibilities and connect the dots between things(N) and to see what actually is(S). it being long term or short term doesent change this. nothing of what you said has to do with Ni more than any other functions
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Thank you!!

I'll search the internets for bits and pieces from the Exegesis. I know I've seen them floating around.
    Ooh, look what I found!

To experience Introverted Intuition:
    • As you come across any sign (e.g. an advertisement, a sentence, a logo, a choice of color for a restaurant's decor, even a non-man-made sign like a cloud), say to yourself, "So I'm supposed to think ______ but really this is just ______" and fill in the blanks. This creates conscious awareness of the assumed interpretations of things, and distances you from them. For example, if you see a restaurant sign with very ornate, curly characters in thin white strokes on a black background, say, "So I'm supposed to think this is a posh place for high-class people, but what I really see is just a slab of plastic with black paint on it, minus some curlicues where the white shows through." If you see a sign on a door inside the restaurant, that says "MEN", say, "So I'm supposed to think there's a bathroom behind that door, and it's only socially appropriate for men to use it, but really it's just a piece of wood with some marks on it." You must name the thing you're supposed to think in words, and describe the object in words; no mere pointing or saying "like that" is allowed. A feeling of smugness may set in at first. Keep going, until it becomes a feeling of freedom.
    Well, it's tangentially related to practicing Ni, which is itself tangentially related to the base theory.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    the problem with this is that Ni is perception, planning is not perceiving, its an combination of different functions. in order to plan, you need to define what things are(T), which is worth more doing than another thing(F), to look at possibilities and connect the dots between things(N) and to see what actually is(S). it being long term or short term doesent change this. nothing of what you said has to do with Ni more than any other functions
    I disagree. Part of Ni is envisioning the future, coming up with a vision, or seeing how things will play out long-term.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Part of Ni is envisioning the future, coming up with a vision, or seeing how things will play out long-term.
    according to who?
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

according to who?
    Well some of this comes from my direct experience with Ni (which is hugely important in understanding MBTI, observation through direct experience, IMO). Think about INTJs and INFJs. They're extremely good at thinking long-term and they often have a vision that they are working towards.

But I'm sure if you look up definitions of Ni, parts of them include "working towards a vision" or "coming up with a vision" or "envisioning a certain future." Here's some:

Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level.

Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us.

A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden "Aha!" or "That's it!" The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future.

Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform.

We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs.

This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal.

It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.
    From: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Co...-iNtuiting.cfm
    Ni’s continually think about the future, what it may hold, and what they are currently doing

http://www.famoustype.com/Ni.htm
    Ni is often described as the long-term system building function
    From: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/...-ne-vs-ni.html
    Also, I want to make clear that the qualities I mentioned are just a part of what Ni is. The point of my exercise was not so much to learn how to plan (which can overlap with Te and other functions) but to be able to come up with and envision a future, to think long-term.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Well some of this comes from my direct experience with Ni (which is hugely important in understanding MBTI, observation through direct experience, IMO). Think about INTJs and INFJs. They're extremely good at thinking long-term and they often have a vision that they are working towards.

But I'm sure if you look up definitions of Ni, parts of them include "working towards a vision" or "coming up with a vision" or "envisioning a certain future." Here's some:

Also, I want to make clear that the qualities I mentioned are just a part of what Ni is. The point of my exercise was not so much to learn how to plan (which can overlap with Te and other functions) but to be able to come up with and envision a future, to think long-term.
    there are not jungian cognitive functions, these are something else, which are called jungian for some reason. its also funny that they say that this is MBTI, which it is not. MBTI only consists of 4 functions, these guys use 8 function model, which is neither jungian or MBTI. if you use 4 functions and say that Ni envisions future, that would mean that only types that use Ni are able to do that.

what these guys are doing is taking aspects of type and thinking that they are the functions, when in fact they are mostly combination of functions that some type uses frequently, because he prefers those functions. like with this Ni envisioning future, its not that Ni does it, its just that types with preference for Ni over Ne or S are more likely to envision the future. this is because of the nature of N, its tendency to imagine future possibilities, by filling in what is not seen, this is something that is evident in both Ni and Ne, therefore its not Ni that envisions the future, but is just N in general that imagines possibilities. now its true that Ni types tend to think of the future more rationally, thats because Ni is working with judging functions and Se, while Ne comes up with possibilities more randomly and according to external world, not according to internalized rational data.

everyone, be it Ni user or not are able to come up with visions and working towards them, therefore its not Ni that does this, its multiple functions at work, N only perceives, its a perceiving function, it does not plan, it does not judge whether some future possibility is plausible or not. intuition is a perception by intermediate links and you only get the results of that whole chain of associations to your conscious mind, thus it is an perception via unconscious. Ni sets the links between things according to how it fits his own subjective view on things. Ne sets the links according to objective factor, how things have been before and what seems plausible according to the things that have been before.

its this vision thing that some people most likely confused with Ni envisioning future. do note that this is about Ni dominant type, not Ni function
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

INTP

If Ni does not possess a strength or quality of long-term system building (and the other qualities I mentioned) then why are these qualities not nearly as pronounced in say, SFJ types (or any of the other types for that matter)? Take an ISTJ and an INTJ. The only difference in their functions is the Si and the Ni. INTJs are better at long-term thinking and system-building therefore Ni lends itself more towards long-term thinking and system building than Si. Agreed?
    imagining possibilities is essential for planning, N does the possibilities thing, its not Ni or Ne, its N, it happens no matter whether the libido is moving towards the objective of subjective, the main thing is that it does move according to principles of intuition.

i didnt say that Ni users arent good at that, i said that its not Ni alone that does it -> its not Ni, but its a combination of functions. again, there are judging and perceiving functions, judging functions determine whether something is plausible or not, defines things, determines if something is right or wrong etc etc. perceiving functions only perceive, but does not judge. in order to come up with plan, you need both perception and judging, you need to see what things are(s), what those things actualy are/analyze them(t), determine which is more important(f) and see what sort of possibilities they have(n).

btw i know two ISFJs and one INTJ in real life, both ISFJs have built better long term system for their lives, going through schools, getting a career with good working experiences, one is married and pregnant etc etc. INTJ dropped out of school, works in a supermarket and thinks that he might go study math..
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

imagining possibilities is essential for planning, N does the possibilities thing, its not Ni or Ne, its N, it happens no matter whether the libido is moving towards the objective of subjective, the main thing is that it does move according to principles of intuition.
    Ne is much more of a burst of creativity and then moving onto the next new idea, Ni takes an idea and really goes all out with it working with it long-term. I would definitely say Ni lends itself more towards long-term planning than Ne.

i didnt say that Ni users arent good at that, i said that its not Ni alone that does it -> its not Ni, but its a combination of functions. again, there are judging and perceiving functions, judging functions determine whether something is plausible or not, defines things, determines if something is right or wrong etc etc. perceiving functions only perceive, but does not judge. in order to come up with plan, you need both perception and judging, you need to see what things are(s), what those things actualy are/analyze them(t), determine which is more important(f) and see what sort of possibilities they have(n).
    Right, I understand, you are arguing that it is a combination of functions that contributes to planning (and I agree with that). I was trying to point out that Ni lends itself more towards long-term planning and system-building, working towards a vision. I was trying to show this by isolating Ni and showing the difference with Si.

btw i know two ISFJs and one INTJ in real life, both ISFJs have built better long term system for their lives, going through schools, getting a career with good working experiences, one is married and pregnant etc etc. INTJ dropped out of school, works in a supermarket and thinks that he might go study math..
    One particular does not make the general. Also, many of the long-term plans that SJs make for their life are simple and conventional, involving things that are mostly common knowledge, dealing with logistics, and thus not really requiring much long-term thought. Trying to realize an innovative vision is something that requires much greater long-term thinking skills.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Ne is much more a burst of creativity and then moving onto the next new idea, Ni takes an idea and really goes all out with it working with it long-term. I would definitely say Ni lends itself more towards long-term planning than Ne.
    Ti can do that sort of working with long term planning thing just as well. take my ENTP friend as an example, he started developing this speech recognition thing like 4 years ago and is still developing it.

this bursts of creativity in Ne vs more stable creating in Ni is basically just about the fact that external world keeps on bombarding stuff in your face and Ne tries to grasp all of that, see patterns and missing links in them to create possibilities. Ni users on the other hand perceive external world according to what is(Se), so their unconscious mind isnt constantly bombarding them with possibilities in external world, but they are more concentrated on the possibilities on internalized/processed info, the subjective factor.

Right, I understand, you are arguing that it is a combination of functions that contributes to planning (and I agree with that). I was trying to point out that Ni lends itself more towards long-term planning and system-building, working towards a vision. I was trying to show this by isolating Ni and showing the difference with Si.
    but you didnt isolate Ni, you isolated something else, with a hint of N. i know what the differences between Ni and Si are quite well, only reason you need to show those to me is to prove that you know it too, you didnt success very well. you cant just cut type into 4(or 8) parts and think that those are the functions. functions are actually very simple things, its the combination of the functions that gives the complexity of type. this being said, if you just cut type into parts and think those are the functions, you will get a twisted view of the functions, as those parts you think are functions, contain things that come from interactions between functions, not the functions themselves. this is where you failed on this, this is where the 8 function model fails and this is where other people often(including those who wrote those function descriptions you linked) fail.

One particular does not make the general.
    yea but thats the whole point, people are individuals, and individuals have this sort of differences, its stupid to try to make everything into stereotypes. this whole typology thing is how people use their brains, not how they act or what decisions they make. you know there are other things in the human mind than just the functions. functions are just a very small aspect of the mind and it seems like you(and many others) are trying to put too much weight on the functions, which is most likely due to unawareness to other stuff in psychology.
    — C.G. Jung

Read