User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default T and J and applied theory

Does the combination of T and J mean that you're more interested in applied theory or putting theory into practice than theorising per se or for its own sake?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Basically.
    It also leads to being both "directive" and "structure-focused"; bot of which are forms of "task-orientation".
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Knowledge is power, but only if put to use.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If there is no real world application, I could care less.

Words are wind.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If there is no real world application, I could care less.

Words are wind.
    yea, but whether you apply something or not is irrelevant to the fact that you are able to apply it , which is the most important thing . not to mention that some things that cant be directly applied, can still help on applying something else or can deepen your understanding of something that can then be applied better. just trying to give some contrast to TiNe style
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I'm on the fence. I get frustrated with people whose default mindset is one of skepticism, even when the argument is sound and there's a good basis in evidence, but some of the more advanced scientific theories and esoteric forms of understanding don't lend themselves to immediate application, if they lend themselves at all.

I can't imagine what practical, material application, say, Zen teachings or Kant's categories might have, for example, but they're enlightening ideas humanity is richer for having.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I'm on the fence. I get frustrated with people whose default mindset is one of skepticism, even when the argument is sound and there's a good basis in evidence, but some of the more advanced scientific theories and esoteric forms of understanding don't lend themselves to immediate application, if they lend themselves at all.

I can't imagine what practical, material application, say, Zen teachings or Kant's categories might have, for example, but they're enlightening ideas humanity is richer for having.
    zen teachings include meditation. meditation allows your brains to physically work in more balanced way(without sacrificing your stronger points), helps concentration etc. thus allowing your brains to work in more effective way. dont you see any practical application for your brains to work better?

not to mention the whole people living in better harmony and world working better..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

It is my impression that FPs and TPs are more interested in perfecting/idealizing value-structures (ethical or logical, respectively), while FJs and TJs are more interested in putting them to use. Which is not to say we both don't do both, but our interest generally leans to one side or the other.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think it makes TJs feel safe to have a "grand narrative" about reality that they view as incontrovertible and unassailable.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Before anything else, I view knowledge as power.

The most powerful knowledge, is knowledge that can have a bearing on ones day to day life.

That's why I care about what's going on in the world right now.

Most theories get replaced or change prior to application, so I don't care to waste mental horsepower on stuff that's going to change, and can't give me some advantage now.

I'll wait till it's implemented and then learn about it.

If I'm personally interested in the subject, I'm way more willing to get into esoterics, but even then my focus will remain on the real world application of the knowledge.