123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Subtypes of MBTI types

Can something like this exist? I've seen a couple places where people list their type as something like INTJ with INFP subtype.

What does it exactly mean to say someone has INFP subtype? Would this just be an INTJ who is closer to the middle on F and P? Or is this someone who has INTJ as a primary type but takes on much of the behaviors and thought processes of INFP?

Other personality typing systems have explored subtypes. In enneagram you have wings and also variant stackings. There is also the tritype model, so you can think of yourself as having secondary and tertiary types in addition to your primary one.

People speak of subtypes in socionics as well. You have a base type, but with one of the functions being enhanced, you get a type such as ENTp-Ni. This would be an ENTp with enhanced emphasis on usage of Ni.

I think in the MBTI system, subtypes would add more nuance and help explain why someone is one type but often identifies quite a bit with a different type. It would explain why some INTPs appear rather ENFPish while some are more ISFJish, etc. I suppose with this theory you could even an INTP with ESFP subtype. I imagine that would be more uncommon since they share no common cognitive functions and only have P in common.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

if you add enneagram to your type, you get a subtype, same with if you add neuroticism scale or anything that is not totally dependent on your MBTI type
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

I think it is rather redundant. If you want a sub-type, use Keirsey since his system types based on behaviour. If MBTI explains your cognitive functions and who you are on the inside, then you could use Keirsey as a subtype to explain why you behave in certain ways. Like an INTP (MBTI) acting like an ESFJ (Keirsey) because it's what's socially expected of them.

I don't think subtypes are a good idea. It would be better to make a more indepth model with 32 types than it would to simply suffix another type on the end of your type.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

garbage

I'd say (a) pull in other systems (Enneagram, etc.) so that you're looking at yourself from multiple perspectives, (b) treat the MBTI as a continuous, trait-based system, and/or (c) list other types that you relate to. Bam, all of them give you 'subtypes' with a bit of nuance.

I think (b) and (c) would play out similarly. If I'm an ISFP who relates a lil' bit to ISTP, then I could list myself as "ISFP > ISTP" and also be said to be a 'moderate/weak F.'

In any case, some continuous or more nuanced system gives us a fat lot more flexibility and accuracy than a single type-based system would alone--that is, until we come up with a single type-based system that's actually valid, comprehensive, and useful.

You know what the folks who have been exposed to MBTI for all of five minutes say? "Huh, I took this test again, and suddenly I jumped from an Executive to an Administrator." "My brother and I both tested ENTJ, but I think he's got a weaker preference for J." We ought to listen to these people, because we're already waist-deep into this stuff and so we naturally sacrifice explanatory power in order to establish a more sound theoretical basis.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

I don't know about MBTI. Socionics has a listing of dominant function and auxiliary function subtypes: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...Meged-Ovcharov

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Can something like this exist? I've seen a couple places where people list their type as something like INTJ with INFP subtype.
    I use subtypes as a means of how people were brought up. More or less when MBTI preferences don't work half of the time because peoples' interests and lifestyle are just different. ie. someone like Spock from Star Trek for instance is an obvious Ti primary, but he fits in well as a J stereotype, different from more P-like Ti's such as Han Solo or L from Death Note (why I use these examples is I don't know, those were some I was interested in.) Or Walter White from Breaking Bad, an example of an INTP with more J-like traits. So all-in-all I don't really care much about subtype, there is a lot less mental difference between them, but I work those out anyway to have some contrast.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I think (b) and (c) would play out similarly. If I'm an ISFP who relates a lil' bit to ISTP, then I could list myself as "ISFP > ISTP" and also be said to be a 'moderate/weak F.'
    Hmm, otherwise that's kind of an unrealistic scenario, since all ISFPs I know are feeling-primary, thinking-inferior across the board. They have no "moderate/weak F." Relating to actual ISTP cognition might be a short-sighted mistake or one that needs more thought. Sometimes I saw people online with INxP, putting what both feeling and thinking as primary and inferior? All that presumes is they're unlike any of the INTPs and INFPs who have their type already figured out. Some really were INTP or INFP and ironically didn't know they have an inferior function, some were obviously intuitive-primaries and couldn't figure it out because the MBTI preference system doesn't always work.

All-in-all I wouldn't trust a typing that says ISFP with some ISTP, those are pretty much contrasting functions in nature. If you're more of a Keirseyan with no sense of typing with functions then you would disagree. Some books will say they're similar because of Se lifestyle. That may be true to some extent however it would unnecessarily warrant having to say you're part ISFP and part ISTP.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Wow, I wonder what my subtype would be?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

According to my "actual" function order from Keys 2 Cognition I'm an ISFP with an ENFJ subtype. My "function order" is Fi/Se/Ni/Fe...not Te. In fact Te and Ti are my two lowest functions (Ti at the bottom) which is why I don't put INFJ subtype. Plus my Se is too high.

I would have to be IxFP or ExFJ because of the sad lack of T functions in my "real" function order.

I think it makes sense for why certain people have thought they've seen NFJ in me at times.

Of course a function purist (like @simulatedworld) would probably just say it's my FJ shadow and it's impossible to be Fi/Se/Ni/Fe.

I think @JTG1984 is an ISTJ with an ISFP subtype, for example. His highest functions are Si/Fi/Te...and I believe Se for him is also pretty high (of course he would answer that for himself because of his interest in athletics and aesthetics). So yeah.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    According to my "actual" function order from Keys 2 Cognition I'm an ISFP with an ENFJ subtype. My "function order" is Fi/Se/Ni/Fe...not Te. In fact Te and Ti are my two lowest functions (Ti at the bottom) which is why I don't put INFJ subtype. Plus my Se is too high.

I would have to be IxFP or ExFJ because of the sad lack of T functions in my "real" function order.

I think it makes sense for why certain people have thought they've seen NFJ in me at times.

Of course a function purist (like @simulatedworld) would probably just say it's my FJ shadow and it's impossible to be Fi/Se/Ni/Fe.

I think @JTG1984 is an ISTJ with an ISFP subtype, for example. His highest functions are Si/Fi/Te...and I believe Se for him is also pretty high (of course he would answer that for himself because of his interest in athletics and aesthetics). So yeah.
    I think that I also have an ENFJ subtype to tell the truth.