User Tag List

123 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Introverted Thinking's enemy

A lot of what I've heard, especially recently has been for the notion that Ni conflicts with Ti. Not that it gets in the way like a dam, but more like a fork in the river.

I can say I certainly agree with this, but I don't think it's always true. I can just as easily see Ni and Ti work together.

Of course I don't by any means think that in these situations they will both end at the same point or that they reach for the same things. I only suggest that they can work in harmony without canceling one another out.

I'd like to see what others think on this, and why.

Emphasis on why. Give an example or something.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Also, let it be known that in your hypothetical, the functions needn't be used by two different people.

This thread is a double faced nickel.

Perhaps we're talking about a Ti dominnant and an Ni dominant collaborating on a project, or we're talking about some individual who's, by whatever weirdness, stumbled into a situation where both functions can appropriately work together or combat one another.

Your choice.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENFJ

Ni doesn't strictly conflict with Ti, but it certainly can -- for example, INFJs have both Ni and Ti, and most of them don't appear overtly insane... well, you know.

The idea that Ni conflicts with Ti is probably because of with INTJs and INTPs, Ni is the INTP's senex/witch and Ti is the INTJs senex/witch. In such situations, both could lead to criticism and the destruction that either of them have created, which would lead to the misconceptions that they don't play well together. They can, but in certain situations they won't.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah all that I'd considered before. But I've gotten to a point where, and extrapolating from your posts, you're there too, we mathematize typology too much.

People as a species are not so formulaic.

I believe there are millions of expressions of even only a single function. Even more ways we can concoct function recipes.

I'm hoping to see some more broadened ideas, but I agree.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Yeah all that I'd considered before. But I've gotten to a point where, and extrapolating from your posts, you're there too, we mathematize typology too much.

People as a species are not so formulaic.

I believe there are millions of expressions of even only a single function. Even more ways we can concoct function recipes.

I'm hoping to see some more broadened ideas, but I agree.
    Of course they aren't so formulaic. I was just stating the obvious, as I am apt to do sometimes.

If we were not to go on the archetypes of people structures and just to go by the essence of the functions themselves, I can easily see how Ni and Ti could get into arguments. Ti seeks to understand the 'natural order' of things whereas Ni seeks to put everything in relative perspective, into a perspective that can easily be shifted according to needs. This is why you never see Ni and Ti that close to each other in any archetypes, aside from the whole mathematical aspect of typology. For an INFJ, who has dominant Ni and tertiary Ti, where Ni and Fe fail or cannot be applied, they supposedly fall back on Ti for understanding, usually with limited success.

If that helps you any more.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not looking for help. Believe me, I'm quite familiar with the 'natural order' of each of the functions.

I'm just looking for extra ideas -- other manifestations that I may not have come across yet, but can be on the lookout for.

That's the direction I want this thread to go.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I'm not looking for help. Believe me, I'm quite familiar with the 'natural order' of each of the functions.

I'm just looking for extra ideas -- other manifestations that I may not have come across yet, but can be on the lookout for.

That's the direction I want this thread to go.
    Okay then. I'll try to think of something more creative, then.

Just for the record, how do you imagine Ni and Ti working together?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Ni and Ti work great together for me. i don't see how they would get in the way of each other as long as they're both well developed.

Ni sees information in the context of abstract experience. Ti analyzes how it fits.

or, Ti can analyze some data and Ni sees how it abstractly relates to experience.

i guess those are the same things pretty much.

Ni (or Ne) is induction, Ti (or Te) is logical deduction. both are necessary for groundbreaking ideas.

MBTI
    ENTP

The differing semantics implicate different situations. One uses Ni first and then employs Ti for verification. The other uses Ti first, and Ni perceives Ti's formulation.

Can you bring an antithesis to the table?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

well if your abstract experience (Ni) doesn't like Ti-like reasoning, Ni will constantly mistrust Ti's conclusions and second guess them. this is probably the case with many ISFPs, for example.