• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi vs Fe Explained!

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
This is a video I did comparing and contrasting Fi and Fe.

Let me know if you think this video is accurate! Do you use Fi or Fe? What are some characteristics of it? What are some characteristics that you've noticed of other people who use Fi and Fe?

Feedback and critique are welcome! :)

Other videos:

Ti vs Te Explained:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRtX65Cnc9w

Introverted vs Extraverts: Explained:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXBFnqu8VxE

Last edited:
G

Glycerine

I like it. It doesn't seem overly stereotypical. It flushed out the differences quite well.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fe is way better than Fi.

Just sayin'.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like it. It doesn't seem overly stereotypical. It flushed out the differences quite well.

I agree.

As someone with Fe inferior who often scores high on Fi on function tests, I'm often confused about which one fits better. According to function theory and if I'm correctly typed as INTP, I should be an Fe "user" yet I don't fit with everything under Fe.

I'm not as open about showing emotions and usually I'm not comfortable showing much emotion unless its with close family members or friends or if I'm under alot of stress, where the Fe inferior takes over. Like the Fi users, I try to only show the emotions I want to show to others.

Like the Fe types, other peoples' emotions can definitely affect how I feel. If you act grumpy around me, it will put me in a bad mood. I tend to be sympathetic of other peoples' hard luck stories. I try to do the socially acceptable thing when someone is under distress yet sometimes I feel awkward doing so. For example if someone tells me a loved one dies, I will do the standard "I'm sorry about your loss and try to sound all sad but there's always this anxiety that people will be able to see right through me and that I'm not being sincere.

Regarding facial expressions, I'm somewhat of a mixed bag. I've been told that I tend to come across as rather 'flat' to others. Yet I've also been told that I have a nice warm smile and sparkling eyes- which I think might be more Fe. I'm also affected by others' enthusiasm. When others around me are enthusiastic and the interest is mutual, I will show more of that in my face I think.

So is what I've said typical of INTP?

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Fe is way better than Fi.

Just sayin'.

You do realize ESFPs use Fi, right?

I agree.

As someone with Fe inferior who often scores high on Fi on function tests, I'm often confused about which one fits better. According to function theory and if I'm correctly typed as INTP, I should be an Fe "user" yet I don't fit with everything under Fe.

I'm not as open about showing emotions and usually I'm not comfortable showing much emotion unless its with close family members or friends or if I'm under alot of stress, where the Fe inferior takes over. Like the Fi users, I try to only show the emotions I want to show to others.

Like the Fe types, other peoples' emotions can definitely affect how I feel. If you act grumpy around me, it will put me in a bad mood. I tend to be sympathetic of other peoples' hard luck stories. I try to do the socially acceptable thing when someone is under distress yet sometimes I feel awkward doing so. For example if someone tells me a loved one dies, I will do the standard "I'm sorry about your loss and try to sound all sad but there's always this anxiety that people will be able to see right through me and that I'm not being sincere.

Regarding facial expressions, I'm somewhat of a mixed bag. I've been told that I tend to come across as rather 'flat' to others. Yet I've also been told that I have a nice warm smile and sparkling eyes- which I think might be more Fe. I'm also affected by others' enthusiasm. When others around me are enthusiastic and the interest is mutual, I will show more of that in my face I think.

Yes it sounds very typical of INTP. INTPs have Fe as their last function so Fe is going to be not nearly as easily noticed as ExFJ types. It's obvious you care a good deal about what other people think.

Compare yourself to an INTJ. INTJs could care less about a lot of the things you mentioned. This is because they use Fi. How they come across to people, whether the other person feels comfortable...INTJs don't naturally care about these things. INTPs do.

As you develop your Fe you'll start to be able to express emotions more naturally. Notice how your Fe flares out when you're around people you know well and are very comfortable around.

Hope that helped! (For instance, this last sentence you'd unlikely find an INTJ using. No offense to any INTJs.)

G

Glycerine

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
oranges.jpg

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes it sounds very typical of INTP. INTPs have Fe as their last function so Fe is going to be not nearly as easily noticed as ExFJ types. It's obvious you care a good deal about what other people think.

Compare yourself to an INTJ. INTJs could care less about a lot of the things you mentioned. This is because they use Fi. How they come across to people, whether the other person feels comfortable...INTJs don't naturally care about these things. INTPs do.

As you develop your Fe you'll start to be able to express emotions more naturally. Notice how your Fe flares out when you're around people you know well and are very comfortable around.
Also, again, Fi is the right-brain alternative, and as a "P" function, bears that in common with Ti. It is so unconscious, that it may come up "more" than Fe, but you won't even know it, yet will identify it only by behaviors, which is what the function tests measure them by. What you will sense is the "shaky" vulnerable nature of Fe. Being the most consciously repressed, it will end up coming out weaker than Fi (for many INTP's, it comes out the weakest, supporting the brain-lateral order).

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:girlfight:

FI IS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111

You just used up all the exclamation points in that sentence. What a selfish Fi user you are%%%%%1111 (<< see, look at what you did. I had to use percent signs instead)

/Fe guilt trip

A

Anew Leaf

You just used up all the exclamation points in that sentence. What a selfish Fi user you are%%%%%1111 (<< see, look at what you did. I had to use percent signs instead)

/Fe guilt trip

Can't spell "SelFish" without Fi.

Can't spell Fake without Fe.

:coffee:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Omg, wouldn't it be a shock if I turned out to be INTP! ROLF!

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually Ti nitpicking makes my teeth feel funny like biting on wool, or like I'm going to brain hemorrhage, so no. Not possible.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuTtRjqnXJo&feature=youtu.be
This is a video I did comparing and contrasting Fi and Fe.

It's interesting. I don't agree with the "showing emotion" part though. ENFPs are the most animated types I know of and they definitely show their emotions. I think Fe tends to be much more calculating (maybe not the best word) in expressing the emotions for the effect they have on other people where as Fi types will just express how they feel irrespective of the impact it has on others.