• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi vs Fe Explained!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree.

As someone with Fe inferior who often scores high on Fi on function tests, I'm often confused about which one fits better. According to function theory and if I'm correctly typed as INTP, I should be an Fe "user" yet I don't fit with everything under Fe.

Maybe an Fe inferior "user," whatever that means. If Fe-dom means "conforming to norms of society," the IXTP is the non-conformist. So in that sense, Fe-inferior means just the opposite of Fe-dom. It is an anti-Fe user. But function tests only account for Dominant traits. They don't ask questions about anything other than dominant traits.

I'm not as open about showing emotions and usually I'm not comfortable showing much emotion unless its with close family members or friends or if I'm under alot of stress, where the Fe inferior takes over. Like the Fi users, I try to only show the emotions I want to show to others.

Like the Fe types, other peoples' emotions can definitely affect how I feel. If you act grumpy around me, it will put me in a bad mood. I tend to be sympathetic of other peoples' hard luck stories. I try to do the socially acceptable thing when someone is under distress yet sometimes I feel awkward doing so. For example if someone tells me a loved one dies, I will do the standard "I'm sorry about your loss and try to sound all sad but there's always this anxiety that people will be able to see right through me and that I'm not being sincere.

Regarding facial expressions, I'm somewhat of a mixed bag. I've been told that I tend to come across as rather 'flat' to others. Yet I've also been told that I have a nice warm smile and sparkling eyes- which I think might be more Fe. I'm also affected by others' enthusiasm. When others around me are enthusiastic and the interest is mutual, I will show more of that in my face I think.

So is what I've said typical of INTP?

Sounds like it. Those of this type know they are "different," indicating that they are aware of society and the roles they should be playing. But those roles feel false or inauthentic. Your inferior function wants to assert itself so that you "fit in," but social anxiety results whether or not you make the effort.

You didn't ask about the next thing, but the answer to the anxiety is to make the effort. Then fall down, then get back up again and keep trying until you get it right. Society is always going to be with us, and since we can't be hermits, developing the inferior function is the only other way it will stop being a source of anxiety.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For instance rather than telling you about my family or what I feel about them, instead I would turn the conversation to your family and listen to what you chose to share and weave the conversation around topics of interest to you. I'd then pay a lot of attention to things around me-food, wine, surroundings and let Ne and Fi sort of dance along them. A great deal of momentary pleasure and happiness can be molded around an interaction with another without actualy exposing deep feelings on a topic. :) None of it on purpose, rather just natural evasive patterns that can be seen in retrospect.

I think all Fi types do this, whether it's putting up a bubbly, idea-exchanging energetic "shield" or it's a crass, bitter, sarcastic shield that makes many IxTJs sound liek curmudgeons, when we all know there's banana cream pie inside.

I know that I speak harshly or flippantly (making cutting or snide remarks) or make jokes or act sarcastic to hide the intensity of my fragile little fweelings, and I've seen IxTJs do it to a degree that makes them look like a deep freeze where you could safely store a dead body.
I(N)TJs certainly do this, though the bitter, sarcastic "shield" is just one version. In reading Orobas' account, I recognized what may be the Ni/Te version of her technique. That is, to turn the conversation to something relatively impersonal about the other person (career/education, hobbies, books read or films viewed lately, etc.) Attention to things around would take on the flavor of a critique (quality of food, music, etc.) or logistics (is everyone here yet? are they still looking for more chairs?).

An extension of this in more substantive conversations is to turn someone's inquiry on a sensitive topic back on themselves, so they expose their position before I do mine, if I expose it at all. Thus thoughts as well as feelings can be effectively shielded, and this doesn't even get into the case of appearing to support a position I really do not. At least for me, though, all these approaches are usually quite deliberate.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I(N)TJs certainly do this, though the bitter, sarcastic "shield" is just one version. In reading Orobas' account, I recognized what may be the Ni/Te version of her technique. That is, to turn the conversation to something relatively impersonal about the other person (career/education, hobbies, books read or films viewed lately, etc.) Attention to things around would take on the flavor of a critique (quality of food, music, etc.) or logistics (is everyone here yet? are they still looking for more chairs?).

An extension of this in more substantive conversations is to turn someone's inquiry on a sensitive topic back on themselves, so they expose their position before I do mine, if I expose it at all. Thus thoughts as well as feelings can be effectively shielded, and this doesn't even get into the case of appearing to support a position I really do not. At least for me, though, all these approaches are usually quite deliberate.

yep ISTJs do this too...they just do Si instead of Ni but I still recognize this fundamental behavior from auxiliary Te and tertiary Fi with Si dom. :yes:

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
I've wondered about this myself. It does seem to be pretty common among INTPs. For myself, caring about what others think of me holds little value. It's more important for me to act according to who I believe I am. For people that are very close to me, I do care about being understood. Connections with them are important, shared feelings much less so.

I don't remember where I read it but I think someone said it comes down to Ti having a heavy influence on Fe to give an Fi-like appearance. Reshaping it in a way.

I don't think it's so much the Ti's influence as it is just a lack of Fe. INTPs can sometimes seem like Fi users because they (some) seldom use Fe.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree.

As someone with Fe inferior who often scores high on Fi on function tests, I'm often confused about which one fits better. According to function theory and if I'm correctly typed as INTP, I should be an Fe "user" yet I don't fit with everything under Fe.

I'm not as open about showing emotions and usually I'm not comfortable showing much emotion unless its with close family members or friends or if I'm under alot of stress, where the Fe inferior takes over. Like the Fi users, I try to only show the emotions I want to show to others.

Like the Fe types, other peoples' emotions can definitely affect how I feel. If you act grumpy around me, it will put me in a bad mood. I tend to be sympathetic of other peoples' hard luck stories. I try to do the socially acceptable thing when someone is under distress yet sometimes I feel awkward doing so. For example if someone tells me a loved one dies, I will do the standard "I'm sorry about your loss and try to sound all sad but there's always this anxiety that people will be able to see right through me and that I'm not being sincere.

Regarding facial expressions, I'm somewhat of a mixed bag. I've been told that I tend to come across as rather 'flat' to others. Yet I've also been told that I have a nice warm smile and sparkling eyes- which I think might be more Fe. I'm also affected by others' enthusiasm. When others around me are enthusiastic and the interest is mutual, I will show more of that in my face I think.

So is what I've said typical of INTP?

I was discussing a somewhat similar thing with another INTP, we are trying to flesh out the differences between Ti and Fi, they both seem to work in a very alike manner however the only difference is the values and what it focus' on. You probably are just Ti, coming up high on Fi in scoring because of the similarities. One validating things based on a universal truth and logic, and the other being more personal in the sense of focusing more on people, and human aspects. Rather than what seems reasonable according to law and truth.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
there's a video? I'll take a look
Edit: yes, DEFINITELY ENTP 6w7 or 7w6 So/Sx (you might want to ask Speed Gavroche more about that)

Wow, I didn't know that I showed that much Fe.

Do you consider yourself having deep and complex inner emotions that you are very selective in sharing? 1-10, 1 being definitely not, 10 being definitely.

Do your conversations with people seem to flow very quickly or do you often find yourself taking what someone's said and then really thinking it through before you continue talking? 1-10 again, 1 being the first part, 10 being the second part.

No, my emotions are not complex at all. When I am emotional I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I would rate that like a 2.

Yes, when I meet a new person I talk like I have known that person my entire life. I am often described as very warm, friendly, and open up to people very quickly. My conversations just seem to flow. I don't really think them through that much. So I would rate your second question a 9

Interesting. So you agree with Swordsman? Why is that?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION]

Yeah, it's between 6 w 7 and 7 w 6. I've had very traumatic things happen in m life happen which could easily be confused for a 6 typing. So I often wonder if I am not a core 7. I do know that my variants are SO/SX for sure though.

On a side note, let's compare my video with a famous ENFP on personality cafe's. One of my good friends on that site (The King of Dreams) posted a public video on youtube of himself that he pretty much openly shares with everyone. I don't think he will mind me showing it, so here it is.....

http://youtu.be/obhexahP5-o

Look out how different the facial expressions are.

deleted
It's interesting. I don't agree with the "showing emotion" part though. ENFPs are the most animated types I know of and they definitely show their emotions. I think Fe tends to be much more calculating (maybe not the best word) in expressing the emotions for the effect they have on other people where as Fi types will just express how they feel irrespective of the impact it has on others.

Fe primary vs Fi secondary, which is more emotional? It's definitely the former. Any sympathetic, ethical feeler will want to have a healthy impact on others; it's not related to function.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Is it a Ti thing to look at your MBTI type and see inconsistencies and try work out the kinks to figure out why you don't quite fit that type?

At the very beginning, I typed myself as INTJ and noticed inconsistencies. Then I learned about the cognitive functions and that I'm INTP, and everything made sense.

I don't notices inconsistencies in the cognitive functions. Maybe in looking at my temperament or type descriptions but not in my cognitive functions.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
At the very beginning, I typed myself as INTJ and noticed inconsistencies. Then I learned about the cognitive functions and that I'm INTP, and everything made sense.

I don't notices inconsistencies in the cognitive functions. Maybe in looking at my temperament or type descriptions but not in my cognitive functions.

Yeah, many in the past had pitched the ENTP idea to me before, but I thought it didn't work well because my morals are higher than the vast majority of ENTP types. Plus, I am a lot more emotional than most ENTP types.

deleted
Yeah, many in the past had pitched the ENTP idea to me before, but I thought it didn't work well because my morals are higher than the vast majority of ENTP types. Plus, I am a lot more emotional than most ENTP types.

You may very well be closer to most ENTPs if I knew you better. I've met a number of ENTJs who due to their intuitive tendencies have typed ENTP because it sounds more ingenious and theoretical, yet they're clearly the more efficient, dry, no-nonsense ENTJs who just like living easygoing and open-mindedly by the wind; they're fairly less inspirational than ENTPs. This might very well be similar in your experiences if you ever think about it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
You may very well be closer to most ENTPs if I knew you better. I've met a number of ENTJs who due to their intuitive tendencies have typed ENTP because it sounds more ingenious and theoretical, yet they're clearly the more efficient, dry, no-nonsense ENTJs who just live their life open-mindedly by the wind. They're fairly less inspirational than ENTPs; so a different personality who types ENTP, this might very well be similar in your experiences if you ever think about it.

No I seem to use Te.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
You may very well be closer to most ENTPs if I knew you better. I've met a number of ENTJs who due to their intuitive tendencies have typed ENTP because it sounds more ingenious and theoretical, yet they're clearly the more efficient, dry, no-nonsense ENTJs who just like living easygoing and open-mindedly by the wind; they're fairly less inspirational than ENTPs. This might very well be similar in your experiences if you ever think about it.

You want to get to know me better? We can IM sometime if you want. I don't give a damn.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
For the first time I am IMMENSELY EXCITED about posting in this thread, because I can give specific details of Fe/Si vs Fi/Se in action, and how they compliment each other.

I have an ESFJ female friend whose intelligence I respect immensely. Of course sometimes her need to share tires me, but other times its exactly what I need to pull me out of myself. Same with her ability to read my emotions, versus my ability to quietly analyze her emotionally and ethically for her motives, etc.

I admire her ability to catch herself in presentation almost always. She occasionally has some big Fe outburst, but normally she's constantly aware of how what she says affects other people that it would tire me out. She's almost overly preoccupied with social perceptions as ESFJs are wont to do (hey I shouldn't be flossing my teeth in a convertible in Beverly Hills, what will the neighbors think et al) and while this baffles me and even vexes me, it gives her great power over other people, in basically playing games with people.

On the other hand she says she admires my ability to have a poker face, that Im more private, and that in a crisis situation I could con someone in the moment and she says she can hardly tell if Im lying or telling the truth. While Im not a master manipulator like she is (nor would I want to be) she's greatly impressed by my Fi ability to hide my true feelings or intentions, as well as my ability to stay focused in the moment and staying on track in a dire situation.

She also thinks Im a great listener, lol.

I think an Fi dom and Fe dom could make great business partners. My bff from high school is an ENFJ and my closest sister is an ESFJ and I think Fi and Fe can work well together, and this is the first new close Fe dom friend Ive made since learning about Jung and it thrills me to see the theory in action in my personal life (I mean an Fe dom actually telling me how she admires my Fi mask, essentially, though she has no idea what Fi is.)

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION]

Great stuff. That's funny she points out Fi in you even though she doesn't know anything about MBTI.

I think functions that only differ in orientation (Fi and Fe, Ni and Ne, Ti and Te, etc.) can compliment each other well. For instance, Ne can generate many many ideas and Ni can take the significant ones and go far with them. If Ni gets stuck in a rut, Ne can come in and broaden the horizons again.

Mia.

[MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION]
I think functions that only differ in orientation (Fi and Fe, Ni and Ne, Ti and Te, etc.) can compliment each other well. For instance, Ne can generate many many ideas and Ni can take the significant ones and go far with them. If Ni gets stuck in a rut, Ne can come in and broaden the horizons again.

Yes, indeed. Although I've noticed this phenomenon more with the perception functions - Ne/Ni and Se/Si - and less with the judgment functions (although opposing judgment functions can enrich each other as well no question). One just doesn't see the same attraction between opposing judgment functions that one sees between opposing perception functions. One doesn't see Ti doms and Te doms as couples, for example, at the same rate one sees Se doms and Si doms. I've mused on this quite a bit and have some thoughts, but that's probably for another thread.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
For the first time I am IMMENSELY EXCITED about posting in this thread, because I can give specific details of Fe/Si vs Fi/Se in action, and how they compliment each other.

I have an ESFJ female friend whose intelligence I respect immensely. Of course sometimes her need to share tires me, but other times its exactly what I need to pull me out of myself. Same with her ability to read my emotions, versus my ability to quietly analyze her emotionally and ethically for her motives, etc.

I admire her ability to catch herself in presentation almost always. She occasionally has some big Fe outburst, but normally she's constantly aware of how what she says affects other people that it would tire me out. She's almost overly preoccupied with social perceptions as ESFJs are wont to do (hey I shouldn't be flossing my teeth in a convertible in Beverly Hills, what will the neighbors think et al) and while this baffles me and even vexes me, it gives her great power over other people, in basically playing games with people.

On the other hand she says she admires my ability to have a poker face, that Im more private, and that in a crisis situation I could con someone in the moment and she says she can hardly tell if Im lying or telling the truth. While Im not a master manipulator like she is (nor would I want to be) she's greatly impressed by my Fi ability to hide my true feelings or intentions, as well as my ability to stay focused in the moment and staying on track in a dire situation.

She also thinks Im a great listener, lol.

I think an Fi dom and Fe dom could make great business partners. My bff from high school is an ENFJ and my closest sister is an ESFJ and I think Fi and Fe can work well together, and this is the first new close Fe dom friend Ive made since learning about Jung and it thrills me to see the theory in action in my personal life (I mean an Fe dom actually telling me how she admires my Fi mask, essentially, though she has no idea what Fi is.)

Yeah, I can do this too. What you just described was the upside of Fe. The downside is that because you are so in tuned to how everyone feels it makes you then feel like shit when other people feel like shit. Also, it allows you to know when you are hated by people, and when you have such a strong perception of how others feel about you it can feel like getting poked by a cactus when you walk into a room full of people that hate you. In addition, because you are so attuned to what people want and need, it makes you feel like shit when you see a person in need that you can't help. That's the downside to Fe.