User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you say in this thread but this part is simply not right. Try figuring out an ISFJ's emotions some time. They are not easy to read at all. Maybe if Fe is dominant instead of auxiliary, it makes a difference.
    At least from my perspective, the Fe in an ISFJ looks exactly the same and has exactly the same characteristics as ENFJs, ESFJs, and INFJs (the characteristics I've described previously. Though with the IxFJs they are less pronounced.). In fact I had an ISFJ in mind when I was describing some of the characteristics in this thread. So, I wonder why you see it differently. You're saying you have trouble reading their emotions? What about INFJs?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorjuice View Post
    At least from my perspective, the Fe in an ISFJ looks exactly the same and has exactly the same characteristics as ENFJs, ESFJs, and INFJs (the characteristics I've described previously. Though with the IxFJs they are less pronounced.). In fact I had an ISFJ in mind when I was describing some of the characteristics in this thread. So, I wonder why you see it differently. You're saying you have trouble reading their emotions? What about INFJs?
    My experience of IxFJs is that they be a little more reserved, but they still have a gentle warmth, unlike the blazing open warmth of the ExFJ.

An ISFJ who showed little to no expression would be in an Si/Ti loop.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    So if I posted a video of myself on this forum, do you think you could diagnose me as an Fe or Fi user based on my facial expressions?
    Maybe, maybe not. It would be very cool if I could solely through facial expressions. At the very least, the facial expressions would provide clues. But also, you have your type listed so I know that you're an Fi user anyway

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    My experience of IxFJs is that they be a little more reserved, but they still have a gentle warmth, unlike the blazing open warmth of the ExFJ.

An ISFJ who showed little to no expression would be in an Si/Ti loop.
    Right, it's not a blazing open warmth, but it's still a very open warmth. Both IxFJs make strong use of Ti (at least, the ones I've met).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Agreed totally. Few people see what I feel deeply as I recognize that it would be odd to them. Thus I play, I energize others, I bring a bit of bubble into each conversation and I exchange lots of ideas. I make random jokes to make them laugh. But none of that is what I feel deeply about-actually very often all of that aims to avoid topics I feel deeply about. I once saw another enfp say we use Ne to "fake" people out to avoid emotionally intense topics. Highly evasive.

I think all Fi types do this, whether it's putting up a bubbly, idea-exchanging energetic "shield" or it's a crass, bitter, sarcastic shield that makes many IxTJs sound liek curmudgeons, when we all know there's banana cream pie inside.

I know that I speak harshly or flippantly (making cutting or snide remarks) or make jokes or act sarcastic to hide the intensity of my fragile little fweelings, and I've seen IxTJs do it to a degree that makes them look like a deep freeze where you could safely store a dead body.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But they show outward expression, even if you aren't seeing their true inner self. If an ISFJ cares about you, and you're crying your eyes out, they're not gonna look at you and say "oh." They're also more inclined to social norms of expression of caring than the strange and unemotional acts of service you might see with an ISTJ. An ISTJ might leave some types wondering if they love them at all, because they don't know to interpret their loyalty, consistency, gifts, and acts of service as love, because you're not getting any mushy-gushy affection or saying "I love you, you mean the world to me" etc.

Like I remember once I said to my grandfather when I was a moody teenager that he didn't love me. He said, "WHAT THE HELL I HAVE GIVEN YOU EVERYTHING. I AM YOUR BEST FRIEND." And now as an adult I see it so clearly, that I would have been nowhere without him, and he was more consistent and protective and structured in my life than my own mother.

I still think with an ISFJ you'd have less doubts.
    Maybe there is a question on what it means to "show emotions". Attached is a link to a post I drafted somewhere towards the end of a very long thread on the Fe/Fi topic. It summarized what I learned about the two.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1421311

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I've been told I'm cool at first, then once I'm comfortable, very animated.
    Me too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Some INFJs themselves have said they can come across as cold and distant. A description I've heard about them is "cold on the outside; fluffy on the inside". They definitely aren't described often as open books and tend to be hard to get to know well. (I haven't found the ISFJs I know to be that hard to read and they do come across as quite warm, although they are pretty quiet and reserved).

Very interesting hearing from ExFPs on hiding their deepest feelings. I've noticed when xxFPs talk of being reserved with their feelings because they expect others won't understand/resonate with them, and when xxFJs talk of holding back emotionally it's often out of fear of hurting someone else's feelings or creating a negative environment or something. (What @AphroditeGoneAwry said about wanting to withdraw and process dissent on your own first, or feeling like it's not worth the energy cost, is something I actually relate to quite a lot myself. I don't know if it's an introvert thing or if Fe has something to do with it).

I do think both can seem expressive or reserved in different ways or for different reasons though, so judging "level of expressiveness" isn't a good way to sort out Fe/Fi. Even if ExFPs hold back a lot, they still seem plenty expressive from the outside. Expressing enthusiasm and expressing excitement - well, those are still emotions, aren't they? They aren't the only emotions they have, but you can still see them expressing emotion. And I definitely haven't found ExFPs to be harder to "read" than IxFJs. I do think I/E (and maybe T/F preference) has far more to do with that than Fi/Fe.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Some INFJs themselves have said they can come across as cold and distant. A description I've heard about them is "cold on the outside; fluffy on the inside". They definitely aren't described often as open books and tend to be hard to get to know well. (I haven't found the ISFJs I know to be that hard to read and they do come across as quite warm, although they are pretty quiet and reserved).
    Are you basing this off of what forum posters have said or what you've seen in real life? In real life, one INFJ I know is very quiet and very reserved, but when he's giving off any sort of emotion it looks exactly the same as all the other xxFJs: Open and, uh, expressive....it flows....how I described in the video.

I do think both can seem expressive or reserved in different ways or for different reasons though, so judging "level of expressiveness" isn't a good way to sort out Fe/Fi. Even if ExFPs hold back a lot, they still seem plenty expressive from the outside. Expressing enthusiasm and expressing excitement - well, those are still emotions, aren't they? They aren't the only emotions they have, but you can still see them expressing emotion. And I definitely haven't found ExFPs to be harder to "read" than IxFJs. I do think I/E (and maybe T/F preference) has far more to do with that than Fi/Fe.
    I'll have to think about this.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    no, not at all. while we may be bubbly and enthusiastic on the outside and most ENFPs tend to share their energy with the outside world, we seldom share our actual feelings, which are more akin to something you would read in a piece of dramatic literature or fantasy story. the feelings of most ENFPs feel out of place in the "real" world and, on the rare occasion where we do share them, they are often met with confusion and or awkward moments (most FPs learn early on who they can trust to share their feelings with).
    You might be right in this. I think EXFPs' energy and enthusiasm gives the appearance of emotional openness, which is deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Just occurred to me. I have notice my Fi dom friends do this really searching eye contact--are really intense with their eyes when looking at you, like as a major tool to understand something I am saying, or me.

I wonder if it's because Ne/Se is their aux function? Like moreso than an Se/Ne dom because their aux Fi wouldn't drive them so much to need to see deeply into another's eyes.

In contrast, I won't use eye contact much at all to understand someone, I don't find it helpful. I reserve eye contact for super intense moments. I use my intuition predominantly, and my introverted sensing.
    Sorry to buck the trend but I avoid eye contact habitually. Perhaps when I do look at someone it seems intense but mostly I offer next to no eye contact (ie. it's Asperger's-like), which give the appearance I'm detached and not listening at all. Conversely, the reason I look away is so I can listen more carefully without distractions.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte