Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It's interesting. I don't agree with the "showing emotion" part though. ENFPs are the most animated types I know of and they definitely show their emotions.
    no, not at all. while we may be bubbly and enthusiastic on the outside and most ENFPs tend to share their energy with the outside world, we seldom share our actual feelings, which are more akin to something you would read in a piece of dramatic literature or fantasy story. the feelings of most ENFPs feel out of place in the "real" world and, on the rare occasion where we do share them, they are often met with confusion and or awkward moments (most FPs learn early on who they can trust to share their feelings with). to give you an example. imagine you are sitting at a table eating with a bunch of (American) football fans while you are daydreaming about liberating an oppressed peoples or wandering through a Alice in Wonderland-esque landscape.

I think Fe tends to be much more calculating (maybe not the best word) in expressing the emotions for the effect they have on other people where as Fi types will just express how they feel irrespective of the impact it has on others.
    Fi expression is generally more subtle and non verbal (ie, expressed in a piece of clothing or a preference), though also, as you said, less calculating and saying what one feels regardless of the opinions of others.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

@Doctorjuice, where did you come up with the stuff about facial expressions? I've never heard this before, and am not entirely sure this rings true to me. For example, introverts (be they Fe or Fi users) tend to not show their emotions on their face in the way extraverts do. This seems like it would trump any Fi / Fe differences.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Just occurred to me. I have notice my Fi dom friends do this really searching eye contact--are really intense with their eyes when looking at you, like as a major tool to understand something I am saying, or me.

I wonder if it's because Ne/Se is their aux function? Like moreso than an Se/Ne dom because their aux Fi wouldn't drive them so much to need to see deeply into another's eyes.

In contrast, I won't use eye contact much at all to understand someone, I don't find it helpful. I reserve eye contact for super intense moments. I use my intuition predominantly, and my introverted sensing.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Just occurred to me. I have notice my Fi dom friends do this really searching eye contact--are really intense with their eyes when looking at you, like as a major tool to understand something I am saying, or me.

I wonder if it's because Ne/Se is their aux function? Like moreso than an Se/Ne dom because their aux Fi wouldn't drive them so much to need to see deeply into another's eyes.

In contrast, I won't use eye contact much at all to understand someone, I don't find it helpful. I reserve eye contact for super intense moments. I use my intuition predominantly, and my introverted sensing.
    I do that. I make intense eye contact.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    @Doctorjuice, where did you come up with the stuff about facial expressions? I've never heard this before, and am not entirely sure this rings true to me. For example, introverts (be they Fe or Fi users) tend to not show their emotions on their face in the way extraverts do. This seems like it would trump any Fi / Fe differences.
    I agree that introverted Fi types have more of a "mask" than maybe extroverted Fi types do, even Jung talks about this. It's the apparent childlike banality or coldness...you see the coldness in IxFPs but most often in IxTJs, that "precious oh my precious" tertiary Fi.

I disagree with Dr. Juice though that Fi types' smiles don't reach their eyes, as if our expressions are fake. We may seem more unresponsive or even stiff or "posed" (in a lot of my pictures of myself for example, I know I'm very posed, and sometimes don't smile...) unless we GENUINELY FEEL SOMETHING STRONGLY.

I do think Dr. Juice is misinterpreting the "mask" of the Fi type in too extreme of a fashion...but I know it exists. I remember my exes mother thinking I was "cold" until she got to know me. People are often shocked when they get to know me how expressive or assertive I actually am capable of being, because I think when they meet me what they see on the surface is a rather placid, quiet individual.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I've been told I'm cool at first, then once I'm comfortable, very animated.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I agree that introverted Fi types have more of a "mask" than maybe extroverted Fi types do, even Jung talks about this. It's the apparent childlike banality or coldness...you see the coldness in IxFPs but most often in IxTJs, that "precious oh my precious" tertiary Fi.

I disagree with Dr. Juice though that Fi types' smiles don't reach their eyes, as if our expressions are fake. We may seem more unresponsive or even stiff or "posed" (in a lot of my pictures of myself for example, I know I'm very posed, and sometimes don't smile...) unless we GENUINELY FEEL SOMETHING STRONGLY.

I do think Dr. Juice is misinterpreting the "mask" of the Fi type in too extreme of a fashion...but I know it exists. I remember my exes mother thinking I was "cold" until she got to know me. People are often shocked when they get to know me how expressive or assertive I actually am capable of being, because I think when they meet me what they see on the surface is a rather placid, quiet individual.
    Well it's not that their smile doesn't reach their eyes all the time, just more often than types that use Fe. Facial expressions of types that use Fi are more controlled than types that use Fe.

Maybe I did overemphasize this in the video, I'm not sure, but I do think that what I was saying is valid. The parts that I bolded in your post, these were some of the characteristics I was trying to get people to recognize and I believe the video does a good job at that.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Fi users control their facial expressions and don't show you emotions they don't want you to see, also they don't show their emotions as naturally as Fe users. Fe users show their emotions almost immediately and are a bit more open book. If they don't want to show you their emotions they're going to have a tougher time doing so.

I agree that ExFPs show more emotion than IxFPs. IxFPs' Fi is stronger and more pronounced than ExFPs' Fi. Their inner-world of emotions is very deep and complex. Because of this, IxFPs' might not even be capable of fully expressing their deep, complex inner emotions externally, whereas the ExFPs find it easier expressing their inner emotions just because their inner emotions aren't as deep. IxFPs are more selective about the emotions they share because they have "more" emotions to choose from, so to speak.

But that's just me going off on a tangent. Differences between all xxFPs and all xxFJs: FPs have deep, inner emotions they may or may not choose to reveal. FJs' emotions are very immediate and they readily reveal them. Also, I want to say that FJs' emotions are externally-driven but I'm not sure if that is correct.

I haven't taken the time to actually take a step back and analyze where my understanding of Fi and Fe comes from. So here goes: It comes from a variety of sources. I think what happens is I will read things about the functions and then go out and compare them to how my interactions with people actually play out. So I take in information on the functions through books, the internet, and whatnot and then use my real world experiences as a filter.
    Likes julesiscools liked this post

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

Safe to say that this isn't quite the same in an online environment?
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    no, not at all. while we may be bubbly and enthusiastic on the outside and most ENFPs tend to share their energy with the outside world, we seldom share our actual feelings, which are more akin to something you would read in a piece of dramatic literature or fantasy story.
    This is pretty interesting. Can you elaborate on this more with some real examples?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639