• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's Your Alignment?

What's your alignment?

• Total voters

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, so what would you call this -- I'm a legal secretary -- I could see that our client had pink eye. He said he thought he just scratched his eye, but I looked at it and and thought pink eye. He was flying home for the weekend and was going to be on the stand on Monday. So I went to the closest pharmacy and talked the pharmacist into calling my doctor on the phone right that minute, and told my doctor (lying my ass off) that I had pink eye and I wanted him to tell the pharmacist to make me up a prescription right this minute. I got the prescription and I drove to the airport and caught the client just before they got on the plane and gave him my prescription for pink eye. He showed up Monday with clear eyes. It's not the end of the world, it's little lies, but that was a bunch of lying I did, to the doctor and to the pharmacist, plus giving someone else a prescription made up for me. I didn't care and I still don't, and would do that again or similar. What alignment is that?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Ok, so what would you call this -- I'm a legal secretary -- I could see that our client had pink eye. He said he thought he just scratched his eye, but I looked at it and and thought pink eye. He was flying home for the weekend and was going to be on the stand on Monday. So I went to the closest pharmacy and talked the pharmacist into calling my doctor on the phone right that minute, and told my doctor (lying my ass off) that I had pink eye and I wanted him to tell the pharmacist to make me up a prescription right this minute. I got the prescription and I drove to the airport and caught the client just before they got on the plane and gave him my prescription for pink eye. He showed up Monday with clear eyes. It's not the end of the world, it's little lies, but that was a bunch of lying I did, to the doctor and to the pharmacist, plus giving someone else a prescription made up for me. I didn't care and I still don't, and would do that again or similar. What alignment is that?

That could land you in any of the 4 boxes in the top right corner: neutral good, chaotic good, true neutral, or chaotic neutral.

On the order-chaos axis, it clearly shows a penchant for going against order, but that could land you at either chaotic or at neutral (cuz maybe you're not always chaotic, but this is one circumstance where you were).

On the good-evil axis, it likely shows that you enjoy being good, which could land you in the good category or the neutral one (cuz maybe, like the above, you don't always feel like doing the good thing, but this was a circumstance where you did).

Of course, you could've had totally selfish motives, or, if we were to stretch the hypothetical even further, perhaps even motives that could be described as evil, but, personally, I believe being nice for selfish reasons doesn't really make one evil, and I highly doubt you went so far as having genuinely evil ulterior motives.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My motives were altruistic. They usually are.

But I have an inborn lack of respect and sometimes even resentment for order and law. I won't go against it just for the sake of going against it, but if I have a reason to, I don't think twice. I don't even actually realize I'm breaking the rules until someone points it out. I think of the rules as mostly bullshit. :)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
To the people who consider themselves "neutral", as opposed to good, do you consider yourself a good person?

If so, where's the disconnect?

[MENTION=7991]chana[/MENTION]
[MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15580]Rel[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14786]Tyrinth[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14531]Loki[/MENTION]

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neutral Good, with the occasional Lawful Good. I've never gotten Chaotic before, but I know that there's no way I'd be anything else other than "Good". Meaning, I'd be Chaotic Good before I was True Neutral or Lawful Neutral.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To the people who consider themselves "neutral", as opposed to good, do you consider yourself a good person?

Nope.

I mean, I can be, but overall, no, not really.

You're getting me interested with these questions, you really take this alignment thing seriously don't you?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Roughly, yes. To be precise, I think I'm a pretty fair person.
If so, where's the disconnect?
There are circumstances on which being ''evil'' is even more fair than being ''good''. I think neutrals recognize this better.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
...you really take this alignment thing seriously don't you?

Umm...

I take morality seriously.

But yes, I do find the alignment system interesting.

You're getting me interested with these questions...

Frankly, I'm interested in your (and others') answer(s).

Nope.

I mean, I can be, but overall, no, not really.

So do you think of being good as something that people should do? Or not do? Or other?

I'm interested in how people can recognize themselves as being not good, and not have an issue with that.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I take morality seriously.

Ah. Sorry, my mistake.

In my opinion, morality is almost entirely subjective, so I really don't take it too seriously.

Anyways, carry on. :)

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my opinion, morality is almost entirely subjective, so I really don't take it too seriously.

True; however, some subjective opinions of morality are more logical and ethical than others.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Ah. Sorry, my mistake.

Tbh, it wasn't really a mistake.

I was more just adding on to what you said.

In my opinion, morality is almost entirely subjective...

Do you really believe that?

...so I really don't take it too seriously.

I'm wondering which is the chicken, and which is the egg (but I guess that question was never resolved itself... or was it?)

Do you think you don't take morality seriously because you think it's entirely subjective, or do you think you think morality is entirely subjective because you don't take it seriously?

Anyways, carry on. :)

Tbh, your participation seems rather important...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Last edited:

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So do you think of being good as something that people should do? Or not do? Or other?
I'm indifferent, not doing good does not mean doing evil. I think people should do what makes them happy, I don't care if someone calls it good or evil.
I'm interested in how people can recognize themselves as being not good, and not have an issue with that.
I... don't really make waves... It's difficult to explain. Most of me being evil or in this case "not good" is in thought, which is why I classify myself as not being good. Most people that notice me on the street would not consider me good or evil, they probably wouldn't even notice me. In fact, most people's perceptions of me would probably be closer to lawful good, but that is just a mask brought on by my insecurities. In my thoughts I'm far closer to chaotic evil, but I don't act on the thoughts I have.

I really don't understand why someone would have a problem with not being good, what matters is how and when you use that evil streak, not the fact that it exists. Just because who I am enjoys watching others fail, or messing up others work, doesn't mean I'm going to anything to make either of those situations happen. So in that case, at my core is evil, but my actions are neutral. Not being good does not mean acting on evil.

I could go on forever, but I'm starting to lose my train of thought, I hope you can follow it. :D

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don't think i'm a bad person. but i try to mostly stay out of other people's business and look out for myself. i have good intentions, at least.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I'm indifferent, not doing good does not mean doing evil.

In some cases, I would argue it does.

But yes, the system does have a "neutral" option for a reason.

I think people should do what makes them happy, I don't care if someone calls it good or evil.

What if what makes someone happy is evil?

Do you support them doing it because it makes them happy?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, I do.

Man pulls gun. Man who had gun pulled on him defends himself with another gun. Both men fire on each other. The man defending himself kills the aggressor.

I'd be willing to bet that the man who defended himself thought he was doing good, as he was protecting the life of himself and possibly others around him.

However, I'd also bet that the family of the man who was killed would consider the man evil for killing their relative regardless of the circumstances.

It can be difficult to explain, but this is one instance where you can consider the same action either good or evil depending on your view of it.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
i don't think i'm a bad person. but i try to mostly stay out of other people's business and look out for myself. i have good intentions, at least.

So you're not a bad person, nor are you necessarily a good person?

You're a neutral person.

If so, it seems like the system kinda cuts to the core of things...

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could argue that I'm right here:
good------------reasonable------------evil

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yes, I do.

We'll see about that.

Man pulls gun. Man who had gun pulled on him defends himself with another gun. Both men fire on each other. The man defending himself kills the aggressor.

I'd be willing to bet that the man who defended himself thought he was doing good, as he was protecting the life of himself and possibly others around him.

That's called self-defense.

It's not a very difficult case to show why it was not evil for the man to defend himself.

However, I'd also bet that the family of the man who was killed would consider the man evil for killing their relative regardless of the circumstances.

Big deal.

Their idiotic, subjective, emotion-driven opinion means nothing.

It can be difficult to explain, but this is one instance where you can consider the same action either good or evil depending on your view of it.

That's fine that it can be considered good or evil.

But that doesn't mean it's correct to do so.

In this case, those who thinks the defending man's actions were evil are idiots.

Those who understand that he was simply defending himself are not.

Those evaluation are objective.

Let's go back to what you said about believing that morality is subjective.

tyrinth said:
tyrinth said:
In my opinion, morality is almost entirely subjective...
Zarathustra said:
Yes, I do.

Usually, when discussing a matter like this, we discuss extreme examples, in order to figure out whether you really believe what you said.

For example, do you believe that whether or not rape is moral or immoral is entirely subjective?

How about genocide? Or child abuse?