User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your alignment?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lawful Good

4 5.26%
  • Neutral Good

29 38.16%
  • Chaotic Good

9 11.84%
  • Lawful Neutral

4 5.26%
  • True Neutral

12 15.79%
  • Chaotic Neutral

12 15.79%
  • Lawful Evil

4 5.26%
  • Neutral Evil

1 1.32%
  • Chaotic Evil

1 1.32%
First 5678917 Last

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    By being neutral, we are able to recognize that sometimes evil is more reasonable than good.
    Imagine a boy that gets sexually abused by his father every single day for years. Then, one day, the child grabs a knife and stabs his father to death while he was sleeping. Plus, stabs him so much that the funeral is pretty much ruined. Was his action ''good''? Nah, it was pretty evil. Still, reasonable.
    There's also the classic criminal law example of a shipwreck scenario, on which there is only a float for 2 people. On this scenario, the reasonable course of action is to fight for your life no matter what. I'd call that evil. Yet, once again, reasonable. And the criminal law recognizes that (the person will not be punished).
    There's torture, which can't be called good, but can still be a reasonable option, depending on the criminal and the objective of the torture.
    I sometimes ask myself why people worry about Kony. I mean, they just worry, but for the most part don't do anything, they just retweet bs. So why even worry? They think they're being ''good'', while I think I'm being ''neutral'', and the end result is basically the same.
    Yep. I often think, "Wow, that was horrible/evil...but I can understand why it happened."

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

By being neutral, we are able to recognize that sometimes evil is more reasonable than good.
    We'll see about that.

Imagine a boy that gets sexually abused by his father every single day for years. Then, one day, the child grabs a knife and stabs his father to death while he was sleeping. Plus, stabs him so much that the funeral is pretty much ruined. Was his action ''good''? Nah, it was pretty evil. Still, reasonable.
    I wouldn't call that evil.

Not one bit.

There's also the classic criminal law example of a shipwreck scenario, on which there is only a float for 2 people. On this scenario, the reasonable course of action is to fight for your life no matter what. I'd call that evil. Yet, once again, reasonable. And the criminal law recognizes that (the person will not be punished).
    This is obviously an interesting case.

There are a lot of hypotheticals that would need to be considered to arrive at a proper judgment.

There's torture, which can't be called good, but can still be a reasonable option, depending on the criminal and the objective of the torture.
    Once again, many hypotheticals.

I sometimes ask myself why people worry about Kony. I mean, they just worry, but for the most part don't do anything, they just retweet bs. So why even worry? They think they're being ''good'', while I think I'm being ''neutral'', and the end result is basically the same.
    As I said before, kids these days.

Conclusion: nice try, Senhor Lazy INTP, but I still don't think any of the above necessarily shows a consistent difference between being good and being reasonable. I think your "reasonable" is kind of a catch-all for being morally lazy. In other words, "I'm not really bad, but I don't care enough to be good."

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well that's just the thing. I can gleefully practice selfish petty vengeance, and I really do expect other people to fuck off when I'm sleeping or my blood sugar is low. I get really bad impulses sometimes. Not necessarily to hurt anyone, but just completely self-centered.

That's why I think I'm Chaotic Neutral who leans toward Chaotic Good. I've gotten both, though my last result was Chaotic Neutral...
    Yeah, I think that all seems like a pretty reasonable judgment.

And I definitely support things like "'Chaotic neutral' but lean towards 'Chaotic good'/'Chaotic evil'".

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    ...on the test where they put you in all of these imaginary scenarios, self-preservation seemed pretty high on my list of priorities.
    Interesting what you said about self-preservation. What's your instinctual variant? Sp/Sx?

I wonder if any of this could be correlated to that...

Interestingly, contrary to what one might have thought, there doesn't seem to be that strong of a correlation b/w J and lawfulness.

@Zarathustra

Lawful Neutral

Also, if you don't mind, share why you think have the alignment that you do, and how relevant of a descriptor you think it is.
    Good and Evil are just definitions. What one see as good can be seen as evil by another and vice versa.

Rules of conduct, I follow what I see fit and dispose of those I do not see fit. A law that is detrimental, is a law that is detrimental, whether it is good or evil. Completely shun any type of laws and we resort to chaos. There is no rules of conduct to keep everything in order. People are allowed to do anything, whenever, and wherever without consequences. And that is the last thing we want to do in a society where everyone can do whatever they wanted to (if there is such a utopia that allows this to exist, let me know.)

It is relevant I guess, but I do on occasion just throw the lawfulness away because it really is restrictive (and a big headache.)

Do you think it is more, less, or equally as relevant as the MBTI/Jungian typology or the Enneagram?
    Ehhhhh, seems better at adding on top of MBTI/Enneagram than being alone. Lawful Neutral sometimes make me think of 1w9.....

Would you take this system into consideration when it comes to whom you date?
    Nope, but the other person can at least see where I am coming from.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Yeah, I think that all seems like a pretty reasonable judgment.

And I definitely support things like "'Chaotic neutral' but lean towards 'Chaotic good'/'Chaotic evil'".

Interesting what you said about self-preservation. What's your instinctual variant? Sp/Sx?
    sx/sp...I tended to flee, in those scenarios, any act of "good" that might put myself in too much jeopardy, I tended to do things like quietly slink away.

Just took another test and got Chaotic Neutral again.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Another one of these tests said I was Neutral Good. The test was structured totally differently, it had no scenarios, just value questions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Conclusion: nice try, Senhor Lazy INTP, but I still don't think any of the above necessarily shows a consistent difference between being good and being reasonable. I think your "reasonable" is kind of a catch-all for being morally lazy. In other words, "I'm not really bad, but I don't care enough to be good."
    :yim_rolling_on_the_
    Fair enough. And I think your ''good'' just means you rationalize evil much better than me.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

:yim_rolling_on_the_
    Fair enough. And I think your ''good'' just means you rationalize evil much better than me.
    Well, it's really subjective. Actually I don't see a problem with murdering an abuser, if they've abused someone to the point they feel trapped otherwise...like true physical fear. I'm not sure that's "evil."

I don't even agree with Zara that it's "morally lazy."

Torture can be reasonable in the right context.

I think morality can be contextual to the situation.

And my internal moral code tells me which cases justify this kind of vengeful violence, though. I don't think it's a random thing, not at all. Which is why although I'm not especially lawful (but recognize the necessity of law to hold society together) I can understand the Lawful Neutral alignment...to a degree. I don't have that deep-seated need or talent to create order...but I do understand "this is right by my own internal code and I will not betray it."

However, it may look "evil" to some others.

I tend to look at my neutral alignment being because of not only this subjectivity, but because sometimes I really am not being "good" but doing what I personally feel is right for me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Neutral Good fosho

Do you think it is more, less, or equally as relevant as the MBTI/Jungian typology or the Enneagram?
    It's fun to take the odd alignment quiz when I'm bored, but honestly, that's pretty much it. In its current form, it places far less emphasis on interpersonal relationships than Jungian typology and on personal growth than the Enneagram, so I find it less relevant. I like thinking about TypeC members of different alignments hanging out in ye olde taverne, cleaning their armour and gossiping over their mead though.

Would you take this system into consideration when it comes to whom you date?
    It isn't likely that I would think about it, but I have certain expectations for how my mate should behave and if he doesn't live up to those, then it just isn't going to work out. For example, I don't think I could overlook consistently spiteful or selfish behaviour in a mate. I also tend not to find extremely law-abiding people interesting enough to date. A streak of subversiveness, however slight, is more or less essential to me.

In the past, I've got on best with people who tested Neutral Good like myself, or Chaotic Good or True Neutral. I didn't actually think about their alignments before they told me; I tended to assume that they were all more good than not, and still believe they are, including the ones who are adamant about their neutrality.