User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your alignment?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lawful Good

4 5.26%
  • Neutral Good

29 38.16%
  • Chaotic Good

9 11.84%
  • Lawful Neutral

4 5.26%
  • True Neutral

12 15.79%
  • Chaotic Neutral

12 15.79%
  • Lawful Evil

4 5.26%
  • Neutral Evil

1 1.32%
  • Chaotic Evil

1 1.32%
First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    So you've pedaled back a little bit, haven't you?
    Not necessarily. It's more like I'm having difficulty clearly conveying my thoughts. I don't care if someone calls it good or evil. That doesn't mean that I will not evaluate it as such, and pass judgement afterwards. I'm going to go back to saying that morality is subjective again, because what I was trying to say is that I don't care about anyone's evaluation of the morality of an action but my own. Of course there are exceptions, you can't summarize someone's entire view about morality with one sentence, it would be insulting to the topic if someone tried. It's a complicated topic, and one I could discuss forever.

Do what you want for your happiness, but you need to be ready to justify it, or fight for it. Sometimes doing what you think is good will be considered as evil, and will pose a significant obstacle to your pursuit of happiness. It's an interesting thought that "I think people should do what makes them happy, I don't care if someone calls it good or evil." and one I would like to support. But that does not mean it is one that is practical in the real world. I generally have highly theoretical ideas, and ones that would likely not be possible. I truly do believe that you should do whatever makes you happy, consequences be damned. However, that really isn't possible in the real world.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I also think that the Chaotic factor influences the need for independence, Chaotic Good is an interesting alignment in general.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think of myself trying to balance between selflessness and selfishness. I try not to harm others with what I do and try not ignore myself as well. When I do bring harm, I try to make amends and do better for the future. That is what being a good person is to me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

To the people who consider themselves "neutral", as opposed to good, do you consider yourself a good person?

If so, where's the disconnect?
    Yes I consider myself a good person and I've always wanted to be helpful or loving, but there are things about my nature which I know directly oppose good, such as the way I believe in tough love, and the way I feel that some people deserve to be spoken to harshly, and how I know sometimes my moods are entirely selfish. So depending on the moment I could choose a Chaotic Good alignment, but other times I will seem more Chaotic Neutral.

I remember JTG told me once that I seemed more like Chaotic Good and that he was Lawful Neutral. I think he saw himself as neutral, because again, CLEARLY, his behavior can obviously not always be described as "good" or cooperative or serving any benevolent purpose except his own amusement or selfish feelings of vengeance. On the other hand, he's highly lawful, and one of the things about that he hated about this forum is that he thought the rules were too subjective, and he actually has some pretty damn rigid morals, or a sense of what is "correct." However, it is his personal code, just as the Lawful Neutral describes, not always the existing greater "law."

I believe that neutral people can choose to be good, and can be inherently good sensitive caring people, even, but be highly aware of their own selfishness and capriciousness.

I think this is an explanation of a neutral alignment for two people with very clear Fi, one being an FP and the other a TJ.

violaine

I sometimes score as a neutral but mostly as chaotic good. Chaotic good is a good fit for me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Imo, the quality expressed by BlackCat @the bolded is a pretty good place to start pointing to when trying to determine what it means to be a good person. It could be fleshed out a bit more, but what he expressed here is pretty much what I already had in mind.
    by those standards, no. i care about a few people in my life and accommodate them and adjust my behavior accordingly, but i wouldn't say i consider the greater good of humanity in most of my actions. i am generally a selfish person which probably means i'm not a good person, but i don't intentionally cause any harm. that doesn't mean i don't have morals and my own ideas of what right and wrong are, i'd be lying if i said i always acted on them though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What, in your opinion, is the difference between being reasonable, and being good?
    How bout evil?
    By being neutral, we are able to recognize that sometimes evil is more reasonable than good.
    Imagine a boy that gets sexually abused by his father every single day for years. Then, one day, the child grabs a knife and stabs his father to death while he was sleeping. Plus, stabs him so much that the funeral is pretty much ruined. Was his action ''good''? Nah, it was pretty evil. Still, reasonable.
    There's also the classic criminal law example of a shipwreck scenario, on which there is only a float for 2 people. On this scenario, the reasonable course of action is to fight for your life no matter what. I'd call that evil. Yet, once again, reasonable. And the criminal law recognizes that (the person will not be punished).
    There's torture, which can't be called good, but can still be a reasonable option, depending on the criminal and the objective of the torture.
    I sometimes ask myself why people worry about Kony. I mean, they just worry, but for the most part don't do anything, they just retweet bs. So why even worry? They think they're being ''good'', while I think I'm being ''neutral'', and the end result is basically the same.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    By being neutral, we are able to recognize that sometimes evil is more reasonable than good.
    Imagine a boy that gets sexually abused by his father every single day for years. Then, one day, the child grabs a knife and stabs his father to death while he was sleeping. Plus, stabs him so much that the funeral is pretty much ruined. Was his action ''good''? Nah, it was pretty evil. Still, reasonable.
    There's also the classic criminal law example of a shipwreck scenario, on which there is only a float for 2 people. On this scenario, the reasonable course of action is to fight for your life no matter what. I'd call that evil. Yet, once again, reasonable. And the criminal law recognizes that (it's not a crime
    There's torture, which can't be called good, but can still be a reasonable option, depending on the criminal and the objective of the torture.
    I agree with this. This is why I think pacifists are dreadfully naive and the death penalty is only practical for a small percentage of the population. Some people really are unable to ever be rehabilitated and will continue to be a problem.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes I consider myself a good person and I've always wanted to be helpful or loving, but there are things about my nature which I know directly oppose good, such as the way I believe in tough love, and the way I feel that some people deserve to be spoken to harshly, and how I know sometimes my moods are entirely selfish. So depending on the moment I could choose a Chaotic Good alignment, but other times I will seem more Chaotic Neutral.
    I would say that only 1/3 things tends to deserve to go under "not good", and, even then, so long as your selfish moods aren't harming other people, they're not necessarily "not good" (in some cases, they very well could be, though).

I remember JTG told me once that I seemed more like Chaotic Good and that he was Lawful Neutral. I think he saw himself as neutral, because again, CLEARLY, his behavior can obviously not always be described as "good" or cooperative or serving any benevolent purpose except his own amusement or selfish feelings of vengeance. On the other hand, he's highly lawful, and one of the things about that he hated about this forum is that he thought the rules were too subjective, and he actually has some pretty damn rigid morals, or a sense of what is "correct." However, it is his personal code, just as the Lawful Neutral describes, not always the existing greater "law."

I think this is an explanation of a neutral alignment for two people with very clear Fi, one being an FP and the other a TJ.
    This all makes sense.

Lawful Neutral is really weird to me, but something about your explanation makes sense.

Still weird, but I guess I can see that real people like that do exist.

I believe that neutral people can choose to be good, and can be inherently good sensitive caring people, even, but be highly aware of their own selfishness and capriciousness.
    I believe this starts getting to the crux of the issue: while perhaps some good people think they are good because the simply don't recognize their selfishness and/or capriciousness, I don't really feel that way about most of the people who chose have chosen "good" thus far. That's not to say that those people wouldn't exist, cuz they certainly do (I'm especially thinking of church-going hypocrites, here).

But I think a lot of times there is a difference between people that, in addition to recognizing their selfishness and/or capriciousness, basically comes down to caring about being moral vs not caring about being moral. There almost seems to be an inherent caring-about-morality that seems to differ in strength between people. I think people who accurately judge themselves as good tend to have more of this particular quality.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I would say that only 1/3 things tends to deserve to go under "not good", and, even then, so long as your selfish moods aren't harming other people, they're not necessarily "not good" (in some cases, they very well could be, though).
    Well that's just the thing. I can gleefully practice selfish petty vengeance, and I really do expect other people to fuck off when I'm sleeping or my blood sugar is low. I get really bad impulses sometimes. Not necessarily to hurt anyone, but just completely self-centered.

That's why I think I'm Chaotic Neutral who leans toward Chaotic Good. I've gotten both, though my last result was Chaotic Neutral, on the test where they put you in all of these imaginary scenarios, self-preservation seemed pretty high on my list of priorities.

This all makes sense.

Lawful Neutral is really weird to me, but something about your explanation makes sense.

Still weird, but I guess I can see that real people like that do exist.
    Yeah I think it's just that ...yeah, he exists.

I believe this starts getting to the crux of the issue: while perhaps some good people think they are good because the simply don't recognize their selfishness and/or capriciousness, I don't really feel that way about most of the people who chose have chosen "good" thus far. That's not to say that those people wouldn't exist, cuz they certainly do (I'm especially thinking of church-going hypocrites, here).

But I think a lot of times there is a difference between people that, in addition to recognizing their selfishness and/or capriciousness, basically comes down to caring about being moral vs not caring about being moral. Their almost seems to be an inherent caring-about-morality that seems to differ in strength between people. I think people who accurately judge themselves as good tend to have more of this particular quality.

Yes, I think so too.