User Tag List

Thread: The Push-Pull Relationship between Dominant and Auxiliary Functions

5w4 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Default The Push-Pull Relationship between Dominant and Auxiliary Functions

Anxiety is often the result of an internal psychic conflict, and one of the most basic conflicts in the JCF typology scheme is that of two opposing attitudes, introversion and extroversion. A loss of confidence in one's self (perhaps due to an emotional trauma) causes the individual to fall back on the traits of the dominant function. As a result, the introvert becomes even more introverted due to a denial of the extroverted function, and vice versa, along with pushing forward the tertiary which has the same attitude as the dominant.

At a previous time in one's life, before the traumatic incident, the functions were in healthy balance. There was no anxiety involved with dealing with the internal realm (e.g., math anxiety) or the external realm (e.g., acting on the products of one's thinking), although there will probably be some issues with the inferior of a type (e.g., the ISTP child who has no problem learning to play the piano but has debilitating stage fright when confronted with an audience).

In the interests of developing a healthy self-esteem, the auxiliary type demands attention, and self-esteem drops whenever it is ignored. It may arise nevertheless in odd ways disconnected from the dominant function. Se-aux, when not in a cooperative mode with its dominant Ti or Fi, babbles on disjointedly about trivial issues. Ne-aux does the same thing, but it babbles about other-worldly things such as UFOs, outer space, and mystical notions. This is merely an aimless extroverting of a mental content derived from the activity of the auxiliary that requires some outlet but has nowhere else to go.

I'd like to hear from those on this forum who think their auxiliary is active yet disconnected from their dominant function. I'd like to know how it expresses itself in pointless ways, for example, the Fe-aux of the INFJ.
    "I absorb energy like a sponge everywhere I go. It allows me to see the world and my purpose in it." Zak Bagans, Ghost Adventures (INFJ)
    Likes pinkgraffiti, dog liked this post

Senior Member Array pinkgraffiti's Avatar
    748 sx/so

@Mal12345 could you please go on with this theory? i really like it. what would an aux-Fi look like for example? thanks

Senior Member Array

I think that the current consensus on the nature of immature Dom-Aux interactions is pretty much the opposite of what the OP suggested.

As I understand it, Dom and Aux act hand-in-hand at all times. The two functions are made up of an Introverted function and an Extraverted function, and it's effectively impossible to separate the actions of the two. The Introverted function needs to interact with the outside world, and the Extraverted function needs to take into account internal needs, emotions, and desires. So the two functions operate pretty much in tandem all the time.

The question is whether they function together in a immature fashion or a mature fashion.

Developmentally, we start from an immature use of our functions, i.e., with supreme confidence in our Dom function and little or no confidence or care for how we use our Aux; the Aux is just used to channel our Dom or feed the needs of the Dom. But over time, experience and the need to deal with the other half of the Dom-Aux equation cause us to gain more facility with our Aux and gain more confidence in it. And we end up with a more balanced, mature personality.

Example, using INTPs:

Immature: The Dom overpowers the Aux and uses it for its own needs. For example, in the case of an INTP (Ti-Dom overpowers Ne-Aux), Ne is put to use almost solely for the purpose of extraverting Ti content. So you get the immature INTP babbling happily about far-fetched intellectual silliness. It looks like out-of-control Ne, but it's really out-of-control Ti being channeled by a weak Ne-Aux that's unable to assert itself and do its own thing.

Mature: Aux is strengthened to the point where it does more than just channel Ti-Dom outwardly. It also is used to gather data from the outside world and bring it to Ti-Dom; Ti-Dom trusts Ne-Aux enough to use that data to grow and develop. IOW, Ti-Dom starts incorporating the demands and limits of the outside world into its calculations; and that can only happen when Ne-Aux develops enough to assert itself and be a trusted and equal partner for Ti-Dom.

This is the scheme used by Here is a link to their advice for INTPs who need to develop their Aux in order to mature: INTP Personal Growth