First 123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by nathdep View Post
    Thank you so much Mal+, I really think that the INFP type fits me very well.

That being said, I just had one of my friends take the Keirsey Temperament Sorter II and he was typed ENTP. I believe this is a very inaccurate if not virtually opposite description of him. About a week ago, he was typed as 1 using the RHETI. This definitely describes him as he is a perfectionist, judgmental, and secretive.

I really would like to study up on Myers-Briggs but I would find it very hard to do so if I don't have a system to type people other than myself. Are there any other alternatives that I can use along with my friends to help in the typing process?

Thanks again!
    He's probably an INTJ. If that's true, then I should add that the INTJ can appear like a playful ENTP, for some reason. But only in very rare cases would an ENTP score as type 1.

It could be that the Keirsey Temperament Sorter is not a good device to use, but the author's type descriptions are precise. I also like the book LifeTypes. I refer to this one most often. It doesn't have a test, instead it uses lists of traits for each of the four letters to help you determine your type.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

INFP was my thought as well, glad it fits

Personally, I think the best way of going about typing is to learn the 8 cognitive functions in depth - essentially shorthand descriptions for common thinking patterns.

Theoretically each thinking pattern (N, S, T, F) can be either introverted or extraverted, which gives 8 "functions" of the mind, and all you need to do is to figure out the primary extraverted and primary introverted function that a person uses - 1 "Perceiving" function (which describes what information your mind primarily takes in) and 1 "Judging" function (which describes how your mind prioritizes that information for usage). If Judging is introverted, Perceiving will be extraverted, and vice versa. From there, you have the entire type code, because whether their most-used function is introverted or extraverted will tell you if the person is an E or an I, and whether their extraverted function is a Perceiving process or a Judging process will tell you if they are a J or a P!

It seems like a good shortcut, but it's also a much more in-depth look at how people think than simply choosing between 4 sets of 2 letters.

A quick peek:

Perceiving processes - information intake -

N:
    Introverted iNtuition, "Ni" (indicates NJ or SP): Focus on patterns over time, foresight, reduction to universals
    OR
    Extraverted iNtuition, "Ne" (indicates NP or SJ): Focus on co-existant patterns, possibilities, expansion to universals

S:
    Introverted Sensing, "Si" (indicates SJ or NP): Focus on individual concepts - "data points" - similarities and differences, quality and measure
    OR
    Extraverted Sensing, "Se" (indicates SP or NJ): Focus on individual experiences, moment-to-moment action, the realism of now

Judging processes - information prioritization -

T:
    Introverted Thinking, "Ti" (indicates TP or FJ): Focus on internal consistency of logical systems, breakdown and analysis, refinement
    OR
    Extraverted Thinking, "Te" (indicates TJ or FP): Focus on external accuracy of logical systems, mobilization and implementation, presentation

F:
    Introverted Feeling, "Fi" (indicates FP or TJ): Focus on internal consistency of value systems, intrapersonal ethics, sense of "essence"
    OR
    Extraverted Feeling, "Fe" (indicates FJ or TP): Focus on external harmony (ie, adaptation to optimize relations with others), interpersonal ethics, sense of "social grace"

The only tricky thing is you must have 1 extraverted process in each pair and 1 introverted. For example, someone who primarily uses Fi will always also primarily use Te, not Ti, since there is only cognitive "space" for an extraverted Judging process left, as you already are using an introverted one. So they pair up Fi/Te, Fe/Ti, Ne/Si, and Ni/Se.

For myself as an example, I use Ne most of all, and then Fi. That makes me xNFx, and then ENFx because Ne is an extraverted function, then ENFP because Ne is a Perceiving function. Thinking in Ne and Fi patterns also means I will mostly utilize Si and Te as well.

So you are similar to me - the only difference being you use Fi more than Ne, making you INFP instead of ENFP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Skylights -

This is very interesting thank you!

I noted from your signature that your enneatype is 6w7. When I researched the enneagram, I found that I was the same type. It is interesting that I have found somebody with the same type as me. I guess it makes sense though since our MBTI types are so similar.

Hopefully I will be able to use this method in my quest to researching human personality. I find it so interesting how accurate these systems can be.

I do have a question though. Why is it that I am more introverted in some ways but can come off so natural when I do activities that are structured more toward extroverted types?

Thanks for your help everyone!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    The only tricky thing is you must have 1 extraverted process in each pair and 1 introverted. For example, someone who primarily uses Fi will always also primarily use Te, not Ti, since there is only cognitive "space" for an extraverted Judging process left, as you already are using an introverted one. So they pair up Fi/Te, Fe/Ti, Ne/Si, and Ni/Se.

For myself as an example, I use Ne most of all, and then Fi. That makes me xNFx, and then ENFx because Ne is an extraverted function, then ENFP because Ne is a Perceiving function. Thinking in Ne and Fi patterns also means I will mostly utilize Si and Te as well.

So you are similar to me - the only difference being you use Fi more than Ne, making you INFP instead of ENFP.
    The only cognitive space is involved in creating an MBTI type from cognitive functions according to a formula. But I don't think even Jung saw this as the only possibility. If one's thinking is dominated by a perceiving function, for example, then a judging function will be secondary. They don't have to have opposing attitudes. I think they normally have opposing attitudes. But even an SeNe type is not out of the question.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

My friends think I am funny, outgoing, sensitive, and soft. However, my friends also perceive me as being annoying, impulsive, and odd. I feel that sometimes they exaggerate too much and don't understand my emotional state. [And] I sometimes have a problem with judging people too quickly and then finding they are the complete opposite of what I would expect.
    By the way, this indicates a problem with your tertiary function. It just happens to be the same as mine: Si, or introverted sensing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The only cognitive space is involved in creating an MBTI type from cognitive functions according to a formula. But I don't think even Jung saw this as the only possibility. If one's thinking is dominated by a perceiving function, for example, then a judging function will be secondary. They don't have to have opposing attitudes. I think they normally have opposing attitudes. But even an SeNe type is not out of the question.
    I guess that depends on how you use the system, though... Personally I would call a SeNe type ExTP or ExFP. And then their Si and Ni usage would be balanced, too (and quite weak, I would assume). I imagine that is fairly rare, though, since it would require co-development of the strongest functions. I would expect SeXi to be more common - "ambiversion" of the secondary function. Aside from those pairs, the others are accounted for... For example, a NeTe type would be ENFP, extrapolating from Ne/Si Te/Fi. TeNe would be ESTJ, extrapolating from Te/Fi Ne/Si. Both heavily extraverted. That is how I tend to see the typings, at least.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I have a few general questions.

A very puzzling thing happened to me a few years back. I would tend to pick out other people (usually men surprisingly) and I would become obsessed with them. I would constantly be "validating" our friendship and I would actually feel more secure when I was friends with these people. These people were usually good looking, popular, and older than me (by a few years) or have the appearance of being older. Sometimes, I would even envy people my age who had older brothers. The theory that I have is that my dad left me when I was a pre teen and that I am constantly looking for a father figure of sorts. This may be wrong though. Do you see how this fits in to my type (INFP)?

Also, I have many problems with feeling like I am being abandoned by the people who I care about (whether it be through physically leaving or through death) and I think I can tend to be a little clingy because of my fear of abandonment. Could this also fit in with being INFP?
    INFP and 6w7.

Proud American but French at heart.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I have a few general questions.

A very puzzling thing happened to me a few years back. I would tend to pick out other people (usually men surprisingly) and I would become obsessed with them. I would constantly be "validating" our friendship and I would actually feel more secure when I was friends with these people. These people were usually good looking, popular, and older than me (by a few years) or have the appearance of being older. Sometimes, I would even envy people my age who had older brothers. The theory that I have is that my dad left me when I was a pre teen and that I am constantly looking for a father figure of sorts. This may be wrong though. Do you see how this fits in to my type (INFP)?

Also, I have many problems with feeling like I am being abandoned by the people who I care about (whether it be through physically leaving or through death) and I think I can tend to be a little clingy because of my fear of abandonment. Could this also fit in with being INFP?
    The e-type 4's basic fear is fear of abandonment, while envy is the 4's basic vice. So it would help you to read about that type. Try Riso's Personality Types as well as other Riso books. As for the other question, if it was a few years ago, then perhaps it would be more informative for us to read about how you grew out of that stage. It may or may not be related to type.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Well, nothing special really happened to cause me to move out of that stage. I think a big contributor is how my friends reacted to it calling me weird and homosexual. This bothered me because these obsessions weren't out of love or sexual appeal but it was out of a strong desire for friendship. Actually, I became obsessive over the fear that I may be attracted to these people which stemmed from the comments my friends made toward me.

Another important note that I left out was that if I suspected that my obsessive friendships were going to end or were deteriorating, I would enter a very strong, obsessive depression. Many times, however, the friendships would actually be in good standing. Another interesting point is that all the people that I have had obsessive friendships with are no longer friends with me anymore and they have all moved to my "bad list".

By the way, I was thinking and this started about 3 years ago and ended about 1 year ago.
    INFP and 6w7.

Proud American but French at heart.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Well, nothing special really happened to cause me to move out of that stage. I think a big contributor is how my friends reacted to it calling me weird and homosexual. This bothered me because these obsessions weren't out of love or sexual appeal but it was out of a strong desire for friendship. Actually, I became obsessive over the fear that I may be attracted to these people which stemmed from the comments my friends made toward me.

Another important note that I left out was that if I suspected that my obsessive friendships were going to end or were deteriorating, I would enter a very strong, obsessive depression. Many times, however, the friendships would actually be in good standing. Another interesting point is that all the people that I have had obsessive friendships with are no longer friends with me anymore and they have all moved to my "bad list".

By the way, I was thinking and this started about 3 years ago and ended about 1 year ago.
    After reading this, I've changed my mind about this being possibly not type related. I think now you were obviously fantasy-idealizing certain individuals based on traits that you may have desired for yourself - a positive projection, fantasy to replace feeling inferior ("ugly duckling" or some other kind of outcast). But those people failed to live up to your ideal, perhaps because they failed to live up to your sense of loyalty, so you shit-listed them. To an extent it sounds like your friends badgered you out of this dependence by making you feel even more inferior than before. This is all related to the INFP.