User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you a Sensor or iNtuitive, and how fast do you read?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am Sensing and I read one page per minute

1 6.25%
  • I am Sensing and I read one page in two minutes

0 0%
  • I am Sensing and I read one page in three minutes

0 0%
  • I am iNtuitive and I read one page per minute

10 62.50%
  • I am iNtuitive and I read one page in two minutes

3 18.75%
  • I am iNtuitive and I read one page in three minutes

2 12.50%
123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Do Sensors read faster than iNtuitives?

I am a very slow reader, and I have wondered whether that is because I am an iNtuitive. This should be interesting.

Just select the option that best applies to you.

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't know if it's type... but I read really fast - certainly faster than my family of Ss (English Teacher + Accountant)... but I read faster than almost anyone I know, with the one person who reads at a similar pace being a S. I'm not sure there is any connection... and if I had to force a connection, I'd guess it'd be along J and P.

(This excludes this magical photographic readers that don't even "read" :P )

MBTI
    INFP

Sorry, I just realized I meant 'a page in two minutes,' not 'two pages per minute.'

I can't edit the options, so can you just pretend they are switched?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dufresne View Post
    Sorry, I just realized I meant 'a page in two minutes,' not 'two pages per minute.'

I can't edit the options, so can you just pretend they are switched?
    You'd be better off having a mod reset the poll.

However, I have to point out that reading a page per minute of Stephen King is different than reading a page per minute of difficult material.

I took a speed reading course and although I've fallen out of practice, one of the main observations is that a lot of people read slowly because they allow their minds to wander, and so have to re-read material. What I found via personal experience agrees with what the speed reading folks say - that if you read faster in the first place, your mind has less tendency to wander because it is working harder to keep up with the information flow.

The first real step is learning to not read out loud in your head - it slows your reading down to conversation speed when in reality you can take in the material much faster.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

These kind of things have a tendency to degenerate into individuals making sweeping statements based on their own experience, but I'll chip in my 2 pennies worth...INTJ, and I read about 800-1000 words a minute when I can be bothered to. I would guess there is no correlation with type and speed.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I edited it. Is that how you wanted it?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    However, I have to point out that reading a page per minute of Stephen King is different than reading a page per minute of difficult material.
    I completely agree. I voted "one page per minute" since I can read that quickly if I'm reading something sufficiently 'fast food'-ish. I decided to vote according to the fastest pace which I have the ability to read and absorb material, not the speed at which I necessarily always read.
    INTP

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I read very fast... and much of that is because I "take in the whole page" or chunks of it at once... so I might not recall all of the detail but I always catch the essence of the page and all of the pertinent points that were made. Everything goes through short-term memory, but only the important things get stored.

Still, the point about Stephen King versus dense material is very important -- some text is very accessible and almost pre-digested, other text needs to be mulled and chewed simply because EVERYTHING is important... so nothing can be skipped if you are going to absorb everything correctly.

I think interest in the material is another important thing to consider. If you are not interested in the subject, reading is tedious; if you are interested, it goes much faster and things stick, so you don't have to reread entire passages.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I read very fast... and much of that is because I "take in the whole page" or chunks of it at once... so I might not recall all of the detail but I always catch the essence of the page and all of the pertinent points that were made. Everything goes through short-term memory, but only the important things get stored.

Still, the point about Stephen King versus dense material is very important -- some text is very accessible and almost pre-digested, other text needs to be mulled and chewed simply because EVERYTHING is important... so nothing can be skipped if you are going to absorb everything correctly.

I think interest in the material is another important thing to consider. If you are not interested in the subject, reading is tedious; if you are interested, it goes much faster and things stick, so you don't have to reread entire passages.
    What he said...I've never timed myself but I know I read fiction/newspapers and the like pretty quickly (if I had to guess maybe 1 page in 15-30 seconds, depending what it is?). I've always had the ability to automatically skim over unimportant details like the author going on about the colour of the sky or something. Things like textbooks which are usually all details, little concept, and little "fluff" take me a longer time to read (and I rarely enjoy it). They make my mind wander, whereas fiction always completely captures my attention.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    What he said...I've never timed myself but I know I read fiction/newspapers and the like pretty quickly (if I had to guess maybe 1 page in 15-30 seconds, depending what it is?). I've always had the ability to automatically skim over unimportant details like the author going on about the colour of the sky or something. Things like textbooks which are usually all details, little concept, and little "fluff" take me a longer time to read (and I rarely enjoy it). They make my mind wander, whereas fiction always completely captures my attention.
    The only book I've ever been timed on is the Harry Potter books - I was over at my parents when my mom had bought book 5 (this was cause she pre-registered ) and I wanted to read it before I left... took me just over 4 hours. It was a perfect test cause I also helped her students with the book a couple of months later and had nearly perfect recall. My mom timed me on that one... and I suspect that she also dragged my ass into helping her just to test me. English teachers never change :steam: She won't admit to it though...

Anyway, what I do know about how I read is that I need information to weave the knowledge onto... I recently referred to it roman doors, but that's essentially it. The first book of a series is always slower and sketchy, but as I build on the world it just all fits together. So I can tell you what happened and all that... but I could never tell you where in the book it happened or recall specific details about a scene.

In cases like that I'd read at about 2-3 pages per minute. I read only slightly faster in smaller novels... that kind of story telling I can just scan the page and pull the meaning and actions without losing much... or I can read something like LOTR in which I slow down dramatically (generally about 20-24 hours for the whole series.) Textbooks... I don't read nearly as fast.

I also read comparably fast online, which seems odd as well.

This is starting to seem INTP - it's like opening up your mind and just dumping the information in... it all gets molded into some sort of story in your head as it gets yanked down but the understanding doesn't come from the actual words individually... there is no pondering, no hesitation in absorbing the information... no resistance. Seems very NP. The model I visualize seems very T - but maybe not... My family are huge literature buffs and the way they explain the way they read is very different, all are SFs.

I wonder if there is a strong correlation (or causation!) between learning styles and type.