• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the difference between Ne/Ni doms and Ne/Ni auxiliaries?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
(If you don't know what TED and TEDx are - and since you've been apparently have been living under a rock - click here:http://www.ted.com/pages/about to get the skinny. TED is awesome.)

I'm on the board for my local TEDx event. One of the first thing I noticed was the cognitive function make up of my fellow board members.

TEDx Core Leadership Team
ENFP (Ne>Fi>Te>Si)
ENFP (Ne>Fi>Te>Si)
ENFP (Ne>Fi>Te>Si) <- Me
ENTP (Ne>Ti>Fe>Si) <- Curator
INFJ (Ni>Fe>Ti>Se)
INFP (Fi>Ne>Si>Te)
INTJ (Ni>Te>Fi>Se)

We've got an incredible bias toward N thinking going on which doesn't surprise me too much. TED's self-stated purpose is to share/promote/laud "ideas worth spreading." Any organization that is expressly dedicated to "ideas" would naturally tend to attract Ns.

What is far more interesting to me is that the core leadership team is not just N, but almost exclusively N-dominant. (Poor INFP odd man out.) I remember when I finally typed everyone.* It was absolutely fascinating (and pretty funny) to watch a whole bunch of N-doms interact in real life. (Whew, I actually longed for a little S perspective by the end of that meeting. Ha ha!)

So my first questions is this:
Is there something about TED/TEDx that would appeal to Ne/Ni doms more than Ne/Ni auxiliaries?
My experience could just be a statistical accident, but my gut tells me there is something more going on here than just random luck. There must be something about TED that is particularly attractive to N-doms.

The next logical question is this:
What differentiates N-dominants from N-auxiliaries?
Sure all N's have stuff in common. But what about flavors of N-ness? Sure the differences between Ne and Ni have been discussed a lot on this forum. But what about the differences between N-dominants from N-auxiliaries?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

*Some people were typed through observation. But most were typed through self-disclosure. We actually discussed our respective MBTI types at one meeting.

Last edited:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dominant is the ego's main perspective. Auxiliary is about support, including others.

So perhaps these are people who are really into the "ideas" organization, because it is just their big interest, and it is not as much about helping others, or supporting some other goal of theirs (though it may do those things).
The INFP might be the one collecting information to use to basically "parent" others with ideas, or whatever he learns there.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In socionics nearly all those types are Ne (again save the infp) Ne is supposed to be more about new exploration whereas Ni is seen as more relcalcitrant in terms of being exposed to new types of situations

G

garbage

I'm on the board of our local group, too. It's in its nascent stages.

From my perspective, it's kinda disorganized. It's all--"Hey, man, we're sharing ideas, man. Ideas! Let's watch this talk. [...] Now who got inspired!?" *crickets*

I'm trying to steer the group toward something meaningful. Perhaps bridging our town's technological focus with right-brained ideas to come out with a synthesized whole. Bending that technological focus toward meeting the needs of the community. Bringing in local speakers to see what ideas are present locally rather than bringing in speakers or listening to talks that we could very well view on the TED site from home. Enacting some sort of social change through these ideas, starting right here in this community and branching outward.

I figure--let's look at why these ideas are worth spreading. The recent TEDxChange was chock full of reasons why--people spreading meaningful ideas and acting upon them in ways that have a global effect.

So, there. People are attracted to the same things for different reasons. :wink:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So my first questions is this:
Is there something about TED/TEDx that would appeal to Ne/Ni doms more than Ne/Ni auxiliaries?

My experience could just be a statistical accident, but my gut tells me there is something more going on here than just random luck. There must be something about TED that is particularly attractive to N-doms.
I'm TED crazy and watch talks online regularly. So no, I don't think it's related to whether you're N-dom or aux. But you're talking about a board where I imagine people have to, well, organise things (INJs) and get involved with people management (ENPs) - soooo yeeaah, I'm not surprised the INXPs are running for the hills. :laugh: However, I'm not sure as to why the ENXJs are there.

I do think TED talks are more likely to attract Intuitives but then I know plenty of Sensors that do/would enjoy in many of them. The only difference being that Sensors seem to be more interested in lectures on subjects they as an individual particularly take interest in, rather than the broader sharing of general ideas. That isn't to say the subject they take interest in can't be conceptual - my ISFP friend is very drawn to discussions on hope, altruism, beauty, and creativity among many things.

The next logical question is this:
What differentiates N-dominants from N-auxiliaries?
Sure all N's have stuff in common. But what about flavors of N-ness? Sure the differences between Ne and Ni have been discussed a lot on this forum. But what about the differences between N-dominants from N-auxiliaries?
I don't know enough about Jung to answer this but it is a fascinating question. Maybe the Ni/Ne doms like to "spread the ideas" and the auxs prefer to receive and interpret them. :shrug:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm on the board of our local group, too. It's in its nascent stages.

Welcome to the TEDx goat rodeo, bologna! We just got done with our third event so we're old hands at this now. If you ever need any advice/want to bounce an idea off of someone, don't hesitate to shoot me a message.

From my perspective, it's kinda disorganized. It's all--"Hey, man, we're sharing ideas, man. Ideas! Let's watch this talk. [...] Now who got inspired!?" *crickets*

I'm trying to steer the group toward something meaningful. Perhaps bridging our town's technological focus with right-brained ideas to come out with a synthesized whole. Bending that technological focus toward meeting the needs of the community. Bringing in local speakers to see what ideas are present locally rather than bringing in speakers or listening to talks that we could very well view on the TED site from home. Enacting some sort of social change through these ideas, starting right here in this community and branching outward.

I figure--let's look at why these ideas are worth spreading. The recent TEDxChange was chock full of reasons why--people spreading meaningful ideas and acting upon them in ways that have a global effect.

So, there. People are attracted to the same things for different reasons. :wink:

I laughed and winced when I read this. I know of the struggles of which you speak. It was really a sobering mirror to look into when I realized that most of our apparent disorganization was due to a bunch of ENFPs and ENTPs running it. LOL! I wanted to go to the Js in the group and say, "Let me apologize for my 'P' people." Ha ha!

:smile:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I do think TED talks are more likely to attract Intuitives but then I know plenty of Sensors that do/would enjoy in many of them. The only difference being that Sensors seem to be more interested in lectures on subjects they as an individual particularly take interest in, rather than the broader sharing of general ideas.

This is a good point. I hadn't thought of this. What you say makes sense. I will tell you that IRL, my sensor friends don't seem to share the same enthusiasm for TED/TEDx that my intuitive friends do. They get worn out really quickly. More than one of them has commented that the idea of sitting in an auditorium listening to "ideas worth spreading" all day seems overwhelming to them.

I don't know enough about Jung to answer this but it is a fascinating question. Maybe the Ni/Ne doms like to "spread the ideas" and the auxs prefer to receive and interpret them. :shrug:

I've had a couple of days to think about the differences between Ni/Ne doms and auxiliaries. I still don't know the answer but it seems to me that as an Ni/Ne dom my resting state is "information gathering" mode. Whereas for my Ni/Ne auxiliary friends (such as my INFP bff) the default state seems to be "decision-making" mode. I think it goes to the very heart of the differences in a perceiving function (S or N) versus a decision-making function (F or T).

There is a chronological element to JCFs, I think. Let's go back to the example of me and my INFP BFF. We both have very strong Ne and Fi, but in reverse orders.

ENFP (Ne>Fi>Te>Si)
INFP (Fi>Ne>Si>Te)​

Whatever function is our dominant function is our "resting state" so to speak. For her it is Fi. For me, it's Ne. We have to consciously choose to move into our auxiliary function which means it requires us to expend mental energy to do so. It seems to me there is a big different between using Fi when it's one's resting state (i.e., dominant function) versus when one has to expend energy to use it (i.e., auxiliary function).

I'd love to hear [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]'s thoughts on this thread. He's had several interesting posts in the past few months about JCFs and I really value his insights.