User Tag List

123 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default Most likely to generalise?

Now why would I make such a cliche, ironic and probably posted before topic?

Because I was wondering about the nature of intuitive functions and the way in which they build for themselves an idea or perception based upon one factor.

Of course this becomes more complex when it is split into Ne and Ni.

But at face value sensing functions seem to be the least likely to generalise because both Si and Se build a picture based upon many details at once.

Se tends to take it as it comes, whatever is in the external environment arrests the attention and becomes the immediate sensation.

Si tends to relate through a complex set of previously experienced sense impressions, although this can be extremely individual from Si user to Si user. So they might not remember a certain fact from a history lesson because it did not leave and impression, but another one might be remembered because it did.

Of course all 4 perpectionary functions are based around and subject to context, perhaps more so than the judging ones.

In any case im not trying to say something stupid like Intuitive types are generalisers and Sensing types are not.

More that generalisations in general could be more a product of Intuition than Sensing.

I will also mention that this might be a product of weaker Intuition than stronger, but since that implies Sensing types will generalise more I cant put that forth completely since it would clash with my own understanding of individuals and also make this a very ironic topic, besides I can't believe that unless I saw evidence for it.

More than anything else it might just be Intuition in combination with a negative usage of a judging function.

Thoughts?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think N types are more apt to generalize. S types are more likely to note the specific instance while N types are more likely to find general principles.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

S types will frequently generalize about "the way things are."

For example, my ESTJ and myself this morning:

me: Why?
    him: Because that's the way things are.
    me: Why?
    him: Because it is. Just do it.
    me: Wanna boink instead?

Quote Originally Posted by mia_infp View Post
    S types will frequently generalize about "the way things are."
    STJ types you mean. And I think half of the time, it's because of Fi. If you asked, Ti would try to explain how they came to their understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    STJ types you mean. And I think half of the time, it's because of Fi. If you asked, Ti would try to explain how they came to their understanding.
    My dad is an ISTP, and nothing ticks him off faster than if I challenge his take on "reality" i.e. "the way things are." His Ti will engage to a short point, but if you are arguing with what his TiSe sees as general mechanical reality he gets angsty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mia_infp View Post
    My dad is an ISTP, and nothing ticks him off faster than if I challenge his take on "reality" or "the way things are." His Ti will engage to a short point, but if you are arguing with what TiSe sees as general mechanical reality he gets angsty fast.
    Hmm.. I could only be like that if I'm preoccupied with getting something done and... it's unnecessary to explain how something works. Sometimes it's frustrating, depending on the person. Some people get stressed out and need a bunch of details to calm themselves about an issue, so I just want to say.. "Just go away. I'll do it." I'd rather keep some things to a "Yes" or "No". There are types of people who can't trust that enough, and need to know everything. And yeah, it pisses me off.

I never say "That's just the way it is" when it comes to a philosophical view though. Or at least, I can't recall. My point about Ti types is that they're Extroverted Percievers as well - often they will point to things (that you can see as well) that made them draw their conclusions, along with walking you through how they reason a bit. I think Ni and Si are more individualistic and nuanced - couple that with Fi, and their philosophical views aren't easily explained, and revolve around convictions. Further couple that with Te and it takes on a more commanding expression.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think in comparison to NPs every other group could seem prone to generalizing.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I think in comparison to NPs every other group could seem prone to generalizing.
    Are you crazy? Ask an ENP to be specific and watch them become paralyzed as though they cannot comprehend what you're saying.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Are you crazy? Ask an ENP to be specific and watch them become paralyzed as though they cannot comprehend what you're saying.
    +1

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    That doesn't mean they are generalizing. Thing is they love brainstorming, but the degree of trust they have in those countless random ideas won't be significant.
    Try asking the ENP the same question 1 day later.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------