• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm Feeling Loopy (Dom-Tert loops of all types)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The purpose of this thread is to describe what dominant tertiary loops are like. These are the loops for each of the types:

ISTJ - SiFi
ISFJ - SiTi
INFJ - NiTi
INTJ - NiFi
ISTP - TiNi
ISFP - FiNi
INFP - FiSi
INTP - TiSi
ESTP - SeFe
ESFP - SeTe
ENFP - NeTe
ENTP - NeFe
ESTJ - TeNe
ESFJ - FeNe
ENFJ - FeSe
ENTJ - TeSe

Please weigh in your thoughts generally on the subject or specific loops indicated above.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm a little confused about what you're wanting here. Maybe you could start us off by talking about INTJs and their NiFi loop.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems like second nature to get me off on an Ni-Ti loop. If I'm given a book to read, or some type of concept to ponder, it just goes. Constantly fusing connections between the inner conceptual world along with my inner logical system... does concept A fit B, how does C relate to A? It's like I end up creating an inner classification system of different trains of thought I go through. I liken Ti as the filing system cataloging my inner stream of consciousness. It makes sense of the concepts I am studying, seeks connection between the concepts, and once the connection is found, then I find deeper insight to a problem I am solving or something I am studying.

The trouble is, sometimes with Ni-Ti, I can get so easily lost pondering such concepts or ideas that I want to do that I end up spending more time thinking of it and I end up getting sucked into the black hole of time and space. I could be sitting there studying a topic, or toying around with musical ideas and other creative pursuits that I lose track of exactly how much time I am spending on it in real life. Hours could go by, and I know that I have to do something, but I get easily engrossed within the Ni-Ti loop. It becomes like fuel for the mental fire.... goes around. It may make me less interactive with others as a result. I could be in a conversation with someone online, and get zoned in on what I am doing, and they'd be sitting there waiting for me to respond.

Ni-Ti loops are fun when it's coming up with insights, but they aren't so fun when stressed out and I end up focusing on what might happen... which might be unlikely, but I just end up worrying about what could happen if A took place. It may make me see things that just aren't there, reading too deep into simple things. Tendency to overthink, overanalyze things to the point that I am not even present to them. That's the ugly side of Ni-Ti loops. But when it's an inner mental playground, it's great, and fun! :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are there links to each of these loop descriptions?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a TiNi, and that involves me thinking very deeply about something, and then the pieces fuse together for the inner realization to strike like flash of lightning.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
negative/out-of-control FiSi loop: To use a really stupid metaphor, it's like constantly ripping open my own wounds (or picking scabs, depending on the severity). Reliving painful memories (many of them from long-past experiences), futilely looking for some kind of new understanding or closure by looping it over and over in my brain when in reality the best thing to do would probably be to accept that some things will never heal 100% (such is life), but that I should at least let them partially heal by moving forward, engaging with the present, and finding new possibilities (using Ne).

When I'm in FiSi mode, the present and the future don't seem quite as real as the past. It feels like being imprisoned in this gallery of (often exaggerated) negative memories and ideas that I find are somehow related to my core fears about myself and life in general. I don't want to go into detail about my own, but I know an INFP in real life who fears that she is unlovable, and when she goes into FiSi mode she fixates on her past experiences that in her own mind confirm that others find her unlovable while ignoring evidence to the contrary. It's like she fixates on certain parts of her past to form a tragic story about herself, and I can relate to this.

I also get really fixated on routines like an unhealthy ISxJ.

However, I find that FiSi in moderation feels like an "anchor" for me; it's only when it goes on too long that it becomes something ugly.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Would be interested to hear how Te-Ne loops work for ENFPs.

For me, it works as barreling through projects with great efficiency and enthusiasm and no regard for priority. Distracting myself with items 20 and 21 on my to do list because they're FUN and CREATIVE, even though items 1 and 2 are due in fifteen minutes.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

For me, it works as barreling through projects with great efficiency and enthusiasm and no regard for priority. Distracting myself with items 20 and 21 on my to do list because they're FUN and CREATIVE, even though items 1 and 2 are due in fifteen minutes.

That sounds A LOT like my dad.

Nara

MBTI Type
WILD

In a nutshell, Ne-Te leads (for me anyway) to endless brainstorming of possibilities, indecision because at the end all options are worthy in their own way, being scattered between numerous activities or projects and not being able to prioritize easily and to complete any of them (just for example, I can start reading ten books in the same week but rarely finish them until several weeks or months, not to mention that I'll start other books in the meantime and so on...).

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I get Ni-Fi loops when i am tired - which is in the evening mainly - or exposed to something very stressful.

I have overdeveloped Fi for an INTJ as it is, but can usually put a break on it to some extent. At these times it just comes too much though...it's when I start to get upset, lash out at people, and make huge numbers of assumptions without thinking them though. I also become emotionally needy/sensitive which makes everyone run, and that just makes me more upset.

Dom-tert loops are never fun, and I am vulnerable due to how devaloped my Fi is. It is also why I always get typed as an INFJ by online tests, even though I know I am not one.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've said this before I know, but I think of it as 'visualize and attack'. Just like looking for opportunities and making them happen on the spot with full Ne momentum. I've had some of the best experiences of my life in this mode, but I have to be careful not to do anything Fi's gonna regret later (which has happened). Then cue Fi soul search mode to find my center again.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like my Ne-Te loop, usually it makes me feel like i am in control, rational and confidant, like I can make things done. I've never had a bad feelings while being in Ne-Te loop. On the other side I connect most of my negative feelings with falling into Fi+Si loops, the combination of strong Fi and underdeveloped Si is... destructive.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've said this before I know, but I think of it as 'visualize and attack'. Just like looking for opportunities and making them happen on the spot with full Ne momentum. I've had some of the best experiences of my life in this mode, but I have to be careful not to do anything Fi's gonna regret later (which has happened). Then cue Fi soul search mode to find my center again.

Same.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting. Seems like both Ne-Te and Te-Ne are like a sort of mania, where you attack particular tasks/goals/things without having your usual guiding force there to make sure you're aiming the "right" way. In the case of ENFPs, it's Fi, to make sure what you're doing meshes well with your values -- and in the case of ESTJs, it's Si, to make sure we take heed of past experience before making a thoughtless mistake.

Wondering if that's typical for these loops.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ni-Ti loops when under stress result in an inability to make decisions, avoidance of the issue at hand, constant revision of original conclusions, adding new information that is not really important and so on. The more emotional investment there is in the outcome, the more paralyzing it is, and the more details there are that seem to be essential to investigate before making a choice.

With essays, it becomes essential to have a good Te heavy friend to stick with you through the process so you don't start rabbit-trailing, getting far too much information on one thing and not enough on the next and then scrapping the whole outline (over and over and over) as you helplessly watch the clock tick the hours and then start rationalizing a way that the whole thing could be done later.

Usually the situation comes about from not being exactly sure of how to go at the problem and not knowing a way to get the information needed, so there is an unconscious focus on minutia (sp).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
negative/out-of-control FiSi loop: To use a really stupid metaphor, it's like constantly ripping open my own wounds (or picking scabs, depending on the severity). Reliving painful memories (many of them from long-past experiences), futilely looking for some kind of new understanding or closure by looping it over and over in my brain when in reality the best thing to do would probably be to accept that some things will never heal 100% (such is life), but that I should at least let them partially heal by moving forward, engaging with the present, and finding new possibilities (using Ne).

When I'm in FiSi mode, the present and the future don't seem quite as real as the past. It feels like being imprisoned in this gallery of (often exaggerated) negative memories and ideas that I find are somehow related to my core fears about myself and life in general. I don't want to go into detail about my own, but I know an INFP in real life who fears that she is unlovable, and when she goes into FiSi mode she fixates on her past experiences that in her own mind confirm that others find her unlovable while ignoring evidence to the contrary. It's like she fixates on certain parts of her past to form a tragic story about herself, and I can relate to this.

I also get really fixated on routines like an unhealthy ISxJ.

However, I find that FiSi in moderation feels like an "anchor" for me; it's only when it goes on too long that it becomes something ugly.

I relate to this, except for the routines. It's something like a reel of shame/pain & dejection at things ever changing or being different from the past (or even what may be felt as a negative present situation). The idea of things not changing & thus not moving closer to Fi ideals is basically extremely depressing & makes you cynical and morose. Reality is the most disappointing thing imaginable, and in this mode, you easily imagine lots of disappointing things.

I wish I could get stuck in a routine :D. I have such trouble with adopting any at all... I will destructively pursue change & chaos rather than get stuck in routine or "sameness". The closest I can get to a routine are "habits", some bad & some good, and mostly involve food/drink or locations I favor for reading or working.

Instead, I get obsessed with collecting information about a topic. This is a substitute for action. Instead of acting with a Ne mentality to suss out & pursue possibilities in real time, I read books & research topics online. I will say that "everything I know about life, I read in a book", so instead of actual experiences informing me, it's Si storehouse of second hand data I've accumulated plus a distorted memory of my own experiences (exaggeratedly negative). I also build lots of theories & predictions (negative). The theories are more helpful, and if they do include enough Ne perception about the workings of reality & Fi grasp of the human condition, then it can be insight backed with some actual research. But these still serve as substitutes for living, something I'll dive into because I do have a negative Fi-Si mentality that reality is pig sty, always has been & always will be.

It's hard to separate this from inferior Te, which is heavily there also, adding to the sullen & morose hopelessness with a hyper-critical attitude (mostly towards yourself, but other less-than-ideal things). This fuels the negative Si experience of the past & even present as being mostly bad. The Si is actually weak, so instead of noticing nuances of change & little details that differentiate, everything looks the same, and that is frustrating & fuels a conviction that things cannot change, so why bother leaving your bedroom. I think it is actually in Fi-Si loops that an INFP may take on more bizarre or extreme behaviors or ideas partly because they are striking enough to feel different, and not more of "the same".

This actually can lead to procrastination & impatience with details, because the sameness of it all makes your eyes glaze over & you find it hard to focus or be motivated to even start; or if you are actually doing some task or project, then you can get obsessed with making certain details perfect & lose sight of the larger purpose.

I am not a very sentimental person, but healthy Si is when I can recall positive things from the past, and also to see usefulness in any kind of repetition, and to not throw the baby out with the bathwater (ruthlessly destroy something imperfect but perhaps with some good or even ability to be refined in favor of seeking "new & better & promising"). It's funny how when I am in more of a Fi-Ne mode that Si thinking is more positive & productive for me.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With Ne-Fe, I just get kind of smarmy.

I haven't had a protracted period of this yet, though; it generally just happens when I need it.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With Ne-Fe, I just get kind of smarmy.

I haven't had a protracted period of this yet, though; it generally just happens when I need it.