Thread: Is MBTI Type Inherited?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Is MBTI Type Inherited?

Do you think MBTI type is inherited? If so, do you think it leans towards particular functions being more likely as dominant and auxiliary (like Ni, Si, or Fe) or do you think it is more aligned with the letters - e.g., Intuitive parents are more likely to have intuitive children but no more likely Ne or Ni.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

my family is kind of mixed as far as what type they are

both of my parents are rather introverted... and that didn't catch very well at all
    'That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?'- the Archchancellor, discworld

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Hellllll noooo

Secret Sex Freak Array Hazashin's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Do you think MBTI type is inherited? If so, do you think it leans towards particular functions being more likely as dominant and auxiliary (like Ni, Si, or Fe) or do you think it is more aligned with the letters - e.g., Intuitive parents are more likely to have intuitive children but no more likely Ne or Ni.
    I'm not sure. I'm not going to say it's one way or the other, as I simply don't know.

But I know with me, my mom was an ENFP and my dad is an ESTJ, while my older sister and recently-turned 16-year-old sister are xNFPs (INFP and ENFP respectively), and they both had he same mom as me (who is an ENFP). My younger, 11-year-old sister, however, is an ESFJ, and she has a different mom than me (who is an ENFJ). I guess that shows evidence of inherence? Since both my dad and my mom possess Fi/Te and Ne/Si, which my sisters who have the same mom and dad as me and I also possess, and my younger sister has Si/Ne from my dad and Fe/Ti from her mom.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I doubt it. My dad is an ENTJ and my mom is probably ISFJ... I'm INFP. I don't think I inherited a type from them.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Everyone in my immediate family is introverted (with one borderline) but in the extended family, the types are all over the map. I don't think the letters themselves are inherited because I believe type doesn't physically exist but is a psychological construct devised to help understand differences between people.

That said, I do think certain traits that are commonly attributed to certain types are heritable. I think people can inherit predispositions towards shyness (which tends to be associated with I) or sensation seeking (which tends to be associated with dominant Se types).

I also think environment plays a huge role as well.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    eie Ni

Inherited. Cognitive functions.
    Ni/Ne-Fe/Ti
    7w8 9w1 2w3
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I think there may be a degree of inheritance for cognitive functions.

There are no Intuitives in my immediate family (my parents are ISTP and ISFJ - so not much in the way of commonalities are shared with me) and there is only 1 other in my entire extended family (and we're talking about 35 people) so if Intuition is inherited, it's recessive. There are a lot of STJs in my extended family, with 3 out of 4 of my grandparents being one, so that could explain my presence (as INFPs share all the same functions as STJs).
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I really don't think so. The brain is such a complex machine, its structure resulting from the interaction of an extremely large amount of genetic material.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I have at least three male blood relatives(and this is just the living ones) who are also INTPs.
    Since that is supposed to be one of the rarer types, and I did not grow up in the same house
    with any of those guys, I think it fair to say there is an at least partial genetic component.
    While none of the patterns are neat enough for me to surmise how exactly the heredity factor
    works(dominant vs. recessive, cog function vs preference, etc.) there are still quite a few patterns.
    My ISTJ Stepdad's family has an overwhelming ISxx dominance, with my half-sister coming out ISFP, getting some
    ISFx also from the women on my mom's side.