User Tag List

First 234

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm surprised at how many people on this thread have said they don't think cognitive functions are inherited. How could they not be inherited? Where do we get them if they aren't dictated by the genes we get from our mothers and fathers.

Just because people can't decipher a pattern in their own immediate families doesn't mean that JCFs aren't a product of genetics. The way we inherit them could be much more complex than a simple A or B gene choice. Look at eye and hair color which is a result of multiple, competing genes. So it could be with the inheritance of cognitive functions.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Do you think MBTI type is inherited?
    Like many other traits, both physical and psychological, I believe that a pre-disposition for developing them (to some form of severity for spectrum disorders, as well as "all or nothing" characteristics) is transmitted genetically from parents to offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    If so, do you think it leans towards particular functions being more likely as dominant and auxiliary (like Ni, Si, or Fe) or do you think it is more aligned with the letters - e.g., Intuitive parents are more likely to have intuitive children but no more likely Ne or Ni.
    If I had to guess I'd go with parental behaviors (aka "nurture" vs. "nature") as being the trigger for any given inherited pre-disposition to be expressed toward developing behavioral traits that are at one pole of a cognitive function vs. the other.

In short, a child with a pre-disposition toward being iNtuitive that is raised by two Sensor parents might wind up being more balanced on N/S than strong "N."

Just like Mendel's experiments with bean plants, genes that express height are additive, so that the TOTAL number pf height alleles contributed by each parent ultimately determines the potential height of the offspring; I think that components of "nature" and "nurture" can also interact additively, even if figurative in comparison to "pure" genetic inheritance.

BTW, my family's MBTI info is below:

Papa Halla = ESTJ
    Mama Halla = INFJ
    Halla74 = ESTP
    Halla's Big Bro = INTJ

Yeah, yeah - I'm the black sheep because I'm the only perceiver in the family, Ha Ha Ha.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    I'm surprised at how many people on this thread have said they don't think cognitive functions are inherited. How could they not be inherited? Where do we get them if they aren't dictated by the genes we get from our mothers and fathers.

Just because people can't decipher a pattern in their own immediate families doesn't mean that JCFs aren't a product of genetics. The way we inherit them could be much more complex than a simple A or B gene choice. Look at eye and hair color which is a result of multiple, competing genes. So it could be with the inheritance of cognitive functions.
    i think it's best to assume that the functions are simplification that make it easier for us to recognize, name and understand certain patterns in our internal processes, but are probably derived from many other things, and not something that stands on their own.

as such it is possible and even likely that some of the factors behind them are inherited, but those factors can be shared between multiply functions and even be related to things completely unrelated to the MBTI.

for example - completely pulled out of my behind - its entirely possible that there's a certain gene for a certain neurological structure that depending on it's place on a chromosome relatively to other genes, might become a musical talent, a well developed Ni, cause an increased chance of Alzheimer, or any combination thereof.

that's being said, the fact that i'm an ENTP, my mother is an ENFP and my father was an INTJ, while my adopted sister is the black sheep of the family - ESFP...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I've yet to read a study that backs this up with sufficient evidence. My mom is an ISFJ, and my dad (I think) was an ENFP. They had an ENFJ daughter and me (INTP).

One of my friends is an ENFP. She has an ENFP sister, and an ISFJ one. They have an ESFJ mother and an ISTJ mother... so...
    Ti-Dominant
    5w6 sx/sp; ILE

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    As has been posted before, studies seem to indicate heritability of MBTI preferences is around 40% to 60%, which is roughly consistent (if you squint) with the heritability of Big Five traits.

Of course, it's almost certainly more complicated than X% comes from environment, Y% comes from genes. Still having a rough approximation is nice.
    I mean, yeah. Thank you for actually posting some evidence.

How do you figure out how much of an effect the environment has? You could administer the test at different points in time (assuming that MBTI isn't widely variable already, which, well, it is).

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    i think it's best to assume that the functions are simplification that make it easier for us to recognize, name and understand certain patterns in our internal processes, but are probably derived from many other things, and not something that stands on their own.

as such it is possible and even likely that some of the factors behind them are inherited, but those factors can be shared between multiply functions and even be related to things completely unrelated to the MBTI.
    Oh, yeah, and also all of this. For all we know, what we classify as cognitive functions could very well have at least some 'environmentally-developed coping mechanism' thrown in.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

My parents are both SJs (ESTJ dad, ISFJ mom), and none of us (the kids) are SJs (ISTP older brother, INTJ me, ENTP younger brother). So I don't think it's inherited.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i really doubt it. but my mom is an enfp and my dad is an intp, so i ended up a blend.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Some people will react divergently to parental influences and genetics.
    Some people will react convergently.
    Some won't give a damn.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Doubtful. My dad was an INTP and my mom is ENFJ.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)