First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Hellllll noooo
    This.

I know of too many exceptions to the rule, to think that it's inherited. "Nature" is involved too much for it to be a direct result of parenting, and "nurture" is involved too much for it to be entirely hereditary.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I really don't think so. The brain is such a complex machine, its structure resulting from the interaction of an extremely large amount of genetic material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think the only one that is likely to be inherited in a reasonably direct way is introversion. The other ones seem to go in any random pattern, depending on the family (see: all the family and type threads).
    Yeah, there are a lot of threads that get into this topic or try to correlate things.... there are so many patterns that it seems pretty clear to me there's no simple correlation. What seems cut and dry for one family doesn't hold true for another family.

But in the sense that who we are is very much the product of our genetics (because, um, it is - we each have a unique combo of genes) - yes, our personality is inherited. But even assuming the cog. functions are legitimate entities, I don't think it would be as simple as there being a single gene for each cog. function. Many genes which, interacting together, code for a primary preference of cognition that we label as Ni or Te or Fi? Sure. Another set of genes that instruct on our next-in-line preference? What about hormones or other things that might play a role in these things? And so on. And whatever the genes are, that's a blueprint/starting point...and nurture will play heavily in some things.

So, there are many genes & chromosomes at play. That, and the chromosomes that we inherited from our mother and father already had their genes reshuffled from the original chromosomes that were their starting point, so they don't match that of our parents- So I don't think it's a surprise that personality could/would jump across generations and often may not readily align with our parents, and that in the end you can't really make heads or tails of a pattern - because there probably isn't a clear one. Too many variables.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

No. Btw, I think instinctual variants are very connected with parenting, but that's neither mbti nor inheritance.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

As has been posted before, studies seem to indicate heritability of MBTI preferences is around 40% to 60%, which is roughly consistent (if you squint) with the heritability of Big Five traits.

Of course, it's almost certainly more complicated than X% comes from environment, Y% comes from genes. Still having a rough approximation is nice.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think that most kids tend to adopt the "positive" traits of each parent and ignore the "negative" ones and then slap on a gender profile. For example my infj buddy has intj and es/nfj parents. I think he took his dad's badassness but softened it w his mom's social skills. By pos/neg I mean in the cultural context from the CHILD's pov. Plus this tends to work best for the firstborn because they don't have sibling social dynamics to contend with

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Plus this tends to work best for the firstborn because they don't have sibling social dynamics to contend with
    My mom and brother are the same type (he's the firstborn, I guess.. although he's a half brother). They're both tyrants (still love them though). The only thing I inherited is my mom's irritability.. but it has nothing to do with controlling others. It's about controlling my own space. They OTOH have no sense of space.

They're both very stoic STs (more than me.. I'm a comedian in comparison), but there are completely different functions at work.

MBTI - yes, for the most part.

MBTI
    INFP

No I do not believe so. Results so widely vary.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I cant think of any correlation for this....but you never know.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I do. I think DNA inheritance, hormones, neurological fetal development etc. is all highly connected, and I think there are a number of studies that reveal this in other ways, through temperament, psychological disorders, etc. And I think that when you find offspring very different from either parent you are only seeing more recessive traits that have combined to be a dominant DNA in that particular offspring. Just because we can't pinpoint the connection doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Of course it doesn't prove it does, but I believe it does.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts