User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default How did you determine your type? (e.g. what test did you use?)

I used Please Understand Me by Keirsey and Bates. When I was thirteen or fourteen (I'm 23 now) I tested as an ISFJ. I now consistently type as an INFJ, but I have doubts about it. I feel my familiarity with the questions and subject matter has allowed me to self-rig the test for my desired outcome. (I don't necessarily want to be a particular type, but I do seek to understand why I changed from an S to an N).

Anyways, I've also taken casual tests found through google and still test as INFJ, but I'm curious as to how others came to discover their type and what type of test they used. Is there a more definitive test I should do, such as interviewing with an expert? If yes, how does one do this?

P.S. sorry if this is duplicate content. I couldn't find much on this, although I kinda suck at searching.

P.P.S. Thanks for your input!

garbage

Welcome!

For me, it was a combination of tests, introspection, reading a ton of material, life experience, studying other systems, bringing in my own experience with cognitive models, and talking to people on these forums. I still question from time to time (I changed my self-labeling again, like, last week), but I find that a definite answer is less important than the process of asking the question.

You could post in the What's my Type? forum with some details about yourself, and that will get you started here. There are some very knowledgeable people here who can guide you.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

You should check out this video

Also these type indicators arent meant for 14 year old people
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I was introduced to personality theory through the temperament system I discuss, (the APS: www.temperaments.info http://www.pastoral-counseling-cente...nt-Reports.htm) where I'm a new fifth temperament, Supine (somewhat similar to Phlegmatic) in an area called Inclusion, Choleric in the area of Control, and Supine also in the area of Affection. When I found out about Keirsey (and by extension, MBTI), I wanted to know how they fit together, and which type my combo would correspond to. Taking the Keirsey online test, I came out ENFJ, but it obviously wasn't me. J/P were actually tied, though, and ENFP did sound a little closer, but still too extraverted or Sanguine.
    Just looking at type profiles by themselves, it was hard to determine which was a best fit. Some sort of NP type seemed the most likely though. And even ISTP "taking things apart" descriptions, though that was mostly when I was younger.

It was when I learned about the Interaction Styles, that I realized INP cvered my Inclusion temperament, NT was the Control (though I was sidetracked by Keirsey saying NF was Choleric instead of NT), and when I began reading INTP profiles in that light (Especially Paul James and Joe Butt), it was like "wow; that IS me, after all!" (Still had to tangle with this "expert" insisting ENFP, for a bunch of bogus reasons, using Beebe's model which I had yet to learn, and common T/F misunderstanding everywhere, but eventually, I was settled).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

At first, I read a couple of books (Type Talk and Type Talk at Work). It was quite a while ago - 16 - 17 years maybe? I narrowed it down to a few profiles and wrote up some notes on it but wasn't really sure. The three I was looking at were ISTJ, INTJ and ISTP. I thought I was an INTJ with some SP in there. Then I took the official test at work (was it Step 1?) and it came up as INTJ with very strong T, moderate N and J, and reasonably strong I.

The best one I've taken is Step 2. It costs $90 or something like that. I took this a couple of years ago. It came up as Enthusiastic Pressure Prompted INTJ with moderate preferences now across all four. Pressure prompted is the "SP" type of thing I was seeing back then. It was a counter preference facet.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    You should check out this video

Also these type indicators arent meant for 14 year old people
    This is a good video. Thank you. I do have a decent understanding of type terminology, much more so than the enfp mentioned in this video. I can understand why I always felt ISfJ was not my true self, even though you say the test isn't meant for 14 year olds. Despite being an adolescent, I was quite bright at age 14. Nevertheless, I likely put up a persona that was overly concerned with "being practical," which was overtly expressed as an ISFJ. I think the ISFJ and INFJ are radically different.

I've tested as all IxxP types many times. The first test ever I was in rehab in my late teens and probably not even myself. I got INFP then. It helped to read more (rather than test). I came to understand how a lot of things I've been "emotionally sensitive" to wasn't Fi/IFP, but coming from wanting to appease others, or even being guilted into it. And I've changed "values" like an old pair of jeans. Getting in depth about it bores me and leaves me stumped. Just as much as in depth intuitive discussion bores me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

@INTP: man, I'm too novelized by the lady's accent to really distill my attention for more than a minute...

I found mypersonality.info to test my type and tested ENFP almost all the time, but reading all the profiles, I also related to INFP as well. Not as much as ENFP though. Kiersey's typing profile also have quite the indepth analysis and accuracy with descriptions and really nailed some of my reservations.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i can't remember what test it was but i got infp and thought it seemed pretty accurate until i read enfp just out of curiosity and wondered if that was actually more like me. i wasn't sure if i was an introvert or not so i googled something about how to determine the difference and it lead me here and i asked questions n such...people gave their opinions etc..finally decided i was just a mild extrovert.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned

i took the test at school and was startled by how accurate the description seemed. so i started reading up on all things mbti, relentlessly questioning everything. for a year or so, i'd bug every one to type me, secretly asking them questions etc etc. i actually was convinced i was a different type multiple times: entj, intj, infp...eventually, as i was just about to go crazy analyzing myself, i decided that it was just a system and that it had its flaws, just like every other system. i figured, with that, intp was probably as accurate the system would get to appropriately typing me...and moved on to the next thing.