• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How did you determine your type? (e.g. what test did you use?)

Spiritual Science

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I used Please Understand Me by Keirsey and Bates. When I was thirteen or fourteen (I'm 23 now) I tested as an ISFJ. I now consistently type as an INFJ, but I have doubts about it. I feel my familiarity with the questions and subject matter has allowed me to self-rig the test for my desired outcome. (I don't necessarily want to be a particular type, but I do seek to understand why I changed from an S to an N).

Anyways, I've also taken casual tests found through google and still test as INFJ, but I'm curious as to how others came to discover their type and what type of test they used. Is there a more definitive test I should do, such as interviewing with an expert? If yes, how does one do this?

P.S. sorry if this is duplicate content. I couldn't find much on this, although I kinda suck at searching.

P.P.S. Thanks for your input!

G

garbage

Welcome!

For me, it was a combination of tests, introspection, reading a ton of material, life experience, studying other systems, bringing in my own experience with cognitive models, and talking to people on these forums. I still question from time to time (I changed my self-labeling again, like, last week), but I find that a definite answer is less important than the process of asking the question.

You could post in the What's my Type? forum with some details about yourself, and that will get you started here. There are some very knowledgeable people here who can guide you.

:hi:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You should check out this video

Also these type indicators arent meant for 14 year old people

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was introduced to personality theory through the temperament system I discuss, (the APS: www.temperaments.info http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Free-Temperament-Reports/Free-Temperament-Reports.htm) where I'm a new fifth temperament, Supine (somewhat similar to Phlegmatic) in an area called Inclusion, Choleric in the area of Control, and Supine also in the area of Affection. When I found out about Keirsey (and by extension, MBTI), I wanted to know how they fit together, and which type my combo would correspond to. Taking the Keirsey online test, I came out ENFJ, but it obviously wasn't me. J/P were actually tied, though, and ENFP did sound a little closer, but still too extraverted or Sanguine.
Just looking at type profiles by themselves, it was hard to determine which was a best fit. Some sort of NP type seemed the most likely though. And even ISTP "taking things apart" descriptions, though that was mostly when I was younger.

It was when I learned about the Interaction Styles, that I realized INP cvered my Inclusion temperament, NT was the Control (though I was sidetracked by Keirsey saying NF was Choleric instead of NT), and when I began reading INTP profiles in that light (Especially Paul James and Joe Butt), it was like "wow; that IS me, after all!" (Still had to tangle with this "expert" insisting ENFP, for a bunch of bogus reasons, using Beebe's model which I had yet to learn, and common T/F misunderstanding everywhere, but eventually, I was settled).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At first, I read a couple of books (Type Talk and Type Talk at Work). It was quite a while ago - 16 - 17 years maybe? I narrowed it down to a few profiles and wrote up some notes on it but wasn't really sure. The three I was looking at were ISTJ, INTJ and ISTP. I thought I was an INTJ with some SP in there. Then I took the official test at work (was it Step 1?) and it came up as INTJ with very strong T, moderate N and J, and reasonably strong I.

The best one I've taken is Step 2. It costs $90 or something like that. I took this a couple of years ago. It came up as Enthusiastic Pressure Prompted INTJ with moderate preferences now across all four. Pressure prompted is the "SP" type of thing I was seeing back then. It was a counter preference facet.

Spiritual Science

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You should check out this video

Also these type indicators arent meant for 14 year old people

This is a good video. Thank you. I do have a decent understanding of type terminology, much more so than the enfp mentioned in this video. I can understand why I always felt ISfJ was not my true self, even though you say the test isn't meant for 14 year olds. Despite being an adolescent, I was quite bright at age 14. Nevertheless, I likely put up a persona that was overly concerned with "being practical," which was overtly expressed as an ISFJ. I think the ISFJ and INFJ are radically different.

KDude

I've tested as all IxxP types many times. The first test ever I was in rehab in my late teens and probably not even myself. I got INFP then. It helped to read more (rather than test). I came to understand how a lot of things I've been "emotionally sensitive" to wasn't Fi/IFP, but coming from wanting to appease others, or even being guilted into it. And I've changed "values" like an old pair of jeans. Getting in depth about it bores me and leaves me stumped. Just as much as in depth intuitive discussion bores me.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION]: man, I'm too novelized by the lady's accent to really distill my attention for more than a minute... :saturned:

I found mypersonality.info to test my type and tested ENFP almost all the time, but reading all the profiles, I also related to INFP as well. Not as much as ENFP though. Kiersey's typing profile also have quite the indepth analysis and accuracy with descriptions and really nailed some of my reservations.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i can't remember what test it was but i got infp and thought it seemed pretty accurate until i read enfp just out of curiosity and wondered if that was actually more like me. i wasn't sure if i was an introvert or not so i googled something about how to determine the difference and it lead me here and i asked questions n such...people gave their opinions etc..finally decided i was just a mild extrovert.

xisnotx

Permabanned
i took the test at school and was startled by how accurate the description seemed. so i started reading up on all things mbti, relentlessly questioning everything. for a year or so, i'd bug every one to type me, secretly asking them questions etc etc. i actually was convinced i was a different type multiple times: entj, intj, infp...eventually, as i was just about to go crazy analyzing myself, i decided that it was just a system and that it had its flaws, just like every other system. i figured, with that, intp was probably as accurate the system would get to appropriately typing me...and moved on to the next thing.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've always tested INFP, except on cognitive functions tests, where I score as a clear Ne-dominant, Fi-auxiliary. I chose ENFP over INFP after extensive personal research and helpful discussion on this site.

I'm a strong advocate of the functions (via Berens and Nardi) because they describe thought patterns, as opposed to simple dichotomous preferences. I am also less a fan of the temperaments, as I find them generally misleading and stereotype-producing.

In your case, an INFJ should associate most with Introverted iNtuition and Extraverted Feeling (and Introverted Thinking and Extraverted Sensing), while an ISFJ will associate more with Introverted Sensing and Extraverted Feeling (and Introverted Thinking and Extraverted iNtuition).

cognitiveprocesses.com said:
  • Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

[*]Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference—for example, noticing that some food doesn't taste the same or is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when we see someone who reminds us of someone else. Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience. With introverted Sensing, there is often great attention to detail and getting a clear picture of goals and objectives and what is to happen. There can be a oneness with ageless customs that help sustain civilization and culture and protect what is known and long-lasting, even while what is reliable changes.

[*]Extraverted iNtuiting involves noticing hidden meanings and interpreting them, often entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea or interpreting what someone's behavior really means. It also involves seeing things "as if," with various possible representations of reality. Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true. This is like weaving themes and threads together. We don't know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction of thoughts, often brought in from other contexts. Thus a strategy or concept often emerges from the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand. Using this process we can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking. Extraverted iNtuiting also can involve catalyzing people and extemporaneously shaping situations, spreading an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership.

[*]Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden "Aha!" or "That's it!" The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform. We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.

[*]The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure. The "social graces," such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them. Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others' feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

[*]It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in. There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life's situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, "Sometimes, some things just have to be said." On the other hand, most of the time this process works "in private" and is expressed through actions. It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the "essence" of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.

[*]Contingency planning, scheduling, and quantifying utilize the process of extraverted Thinking. Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on. At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively. Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone's ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else's thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else's logic, sequence, or organization. It also helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three. In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives.

[*]Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a "leverage point" that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what's observed.

I also like the two-word "keynames" for the types that I've seen around the internet, though I am unsure of their origin. They are these:

ISTJ - Planner Inspector
ISFJ - Protector Supporter
INFJ - Foreseer Developer
INTJ - Conceptualizer Director
ISTP - Analyzer Operator
ISFP - Composer Producer
INFP - Harmonizer Clarifier
INTP - Designer Theorizer
ESTP - Promoter Executor
ESFP - Motivator Presenter
ENFP - Discoverer Advocate
ENTP - Explorer Inventor
ESTJ - Implementer Supervisor
ESFJ - Facilitator Caretaker
ENFJ - Envisioner Mentor
ENTJ - Strategist Mobilizer

I know personally I am wayyy more a "discoverer advocate" than a "harmonizer clarifier".

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tested INTP at 17 using a short test in a lame book called "Love Types" that my sister bought. It didn't fit.... I only saw that I was likely an INxx type. So then I forgot about it. I was probably too young to accurately type myself anyway... Because I was very reserved, withdrawn, and intellectually inclined, I could not see myself as a Feeling type, and the mushy gushy profiles didn't help.

Years later, in my mid 20s, I began occasionally testing INFP or INFJ, mostly using the similarminds.com tests which I'd take for fun. I read the profiles & personalitypage.com & they both sounded more like me than INTP, especially my "internal self" (as externally, I can still be "aloof" & disinterested in people). I thought "P" was a better fit for my behavior, and INFP profiles sounded more "creative", so I leaned towards INFP over INFJ. I was definitely caught up into the stereotypes still, but I was on the right track at least because my perception of myself was becoming clearer.

At this point in my life, I could see myself more clearly as a Feeling type, but I still had some reservations about it due to a misunderstanding of just what Feeling is. I decided to pursue more info on the matter on an INFP forum where I was given Ti & Fi descriptions from J.H Van Der Hoop's Conscious Orientation. That sealed the deal - I knew I was an Introverted Feeling Type. For the first time, I began to actually identify as my type - INFP. Shortly thereafter I read Jung's Psychological Types & that really confirmed I was FiNe (INFP). I don't seriously doubt my type ever.... everything else I read about type now generally continues to confirm it.

So I can echo others & say it was honest self-examination, info-gathering, and grasping what this system is actually labeling & what the terms actually mean that helped me find my type.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me, realization came more from reading type profiles and feedback from others well versed in MBTI than it did from tests. Some of the online tests aren't very accurate or well-constructed. The official MBTI test is one of the best ones but it will cost you quite a bit of money. I've seen it online for around $70 USD. If you are a college student, you might be able to take it in your college's career center for free or at a reduced cost.

I first learned about MBTI in high school. Back then I'd usually test as INTJ. I could relate to parts of those profiles but I would read all of the profiles and INTP fit the best. Yet back then I'd always test as J but I think I was answering some of the questions as I wished to be and at the time thought J was better than P. More decisive and get more things done. I know that's rather stereotypical and doesn't apply to all J's, but hey, that was my mindset at the time. I also didn't know about cognitive functions back then. When I first learned about cognitive functions in college, I realized that TiNe made more sense for myself than NiTe. Feeback from MBTI experts also suggested INTP.

So for several years, I didn't seriously question my type. Then about a year ago I began to seriously have doubts again. I know tests aren't always reliable but I wondered why I'd only score as INTP about 50% of the time. Usually I'd score high on I and N but the T and P were more iffy. I could always list several ways in which I'm more F or J-like than a typical INTP. So I'd post threads on type forums about why I might not be the type I think I am. Still the overall vote was towards INTP with a few people suggesting other types.

I still have doubts now and then about my type. I find similarities between myself and INFPs and even some of the ISFJs (same top 4 cognitive functions, different order). But then there are also some real fundamental differences too. I've considered INFJ as well but don't think I have dominant Ni.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It took me years to figure out my type because I have this inability to see myself objectively, and this intense desire to be a certain way so much that I will fool myself into thinking I am something other than what I am.

S

SingSmileShine

I've used an awful lot, actually! I used many of the first tests that come up when you type "mbti test" on Google. I've also read descriptions of the types, and looked at primary functions (NeFi is me to a T!) and also isolated individual variables (E vs. I, S vs. N, etc.) to see. There is no doubt in my ENFP-ness. :)

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was officially tested in college. I'd never heard of it before then, but went to Career Services to try to figure out what to do with my life. I kind of forgot about it until years later, when I took a shorter online version and got the same result.