User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F versus T: From a Jungian Cognitive Functions Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    @KDude: high adrenaline + testosterone mitigates pain. It is not about "suppressing" anything. It's more like *shrug* rolls off your shoulders.
    Hmm, in that sense, I'm probably still a little different than ESTP. They'll push through things just for the sake of it.. sometimes I wonder if they even know why sometimes. An ISTP won't push through something if they think it's stupid. When it comes to things they enjoy, it's different. Look at some famous ISTPs. Allen Iverson can play with a broken arm and flu, but he won't go to practice or join in other team events. Because it's stupid to him. By contrast, look at Ray Lewis. Wants to play leader, team general, and not only motivate himself to push through the odds, but wants his team involved too.

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

Yeah I think st/sp associate pain w the ensuing endorphin high thus seeking .. shall we say intense experiences lol. Np/en is similar on amphetamine highs

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

Imo, this is the most simple way of defining the functions:

"I distinguish four functions: thinking, feeling, sensation & intuition. The essential function of sensation is to establish that something exists, thinking tells us what it means, feeling what its value is, and intuition surmises whence it comes & whither it goes." - Jung, Psychological Types

Quote Originally Posted by Jung, Man & His Symbols
    Feeling is a word that needs some explanation. For instance, one speaks of feeling when it is a matter of sentiment...but one also applies the same word to define an opinion.... Furthermore, the word may be used to express an intuition: "I had a feeling as if...".

When I use the word feeling in contrast to thinking, I refer to a judgment of value - for instance, agreeable or disagreeable, good or bad, and so on. Feeling, according to this definition, is not an emotion (which, as the word conveys, is involuntary). Feeling, as I mean it, is (like thinking) a rational (ie. ordering) function, whereas intuition is irrational (ie. perceiving) function. In so far as intuition is a "hunch", it is not a product of a voluntary act; it is rather an involuntary event, which depends upon different external or internal circumstances instead of an act of judgment. Intuition is more like a sense-perception, which is also an irrational even in so far as it depends essentially upon objective stimuli, which owe their existence to physical and not to mental causes.

These four function types correspond to the obvious means by which consciousness obtains its orientation to experience. Sensation tells you that something exists; thinking tells you what it is; feeling tells you whether it is agreeable or not; and intuition tells you whence it comes and where it is going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jung, Psychological Types
    In the same way that Thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value.

Feeling, like Thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason, just as concepts in general are formed according to these laws.
    I interpret this as:

Feeling = what something is worth in terms of being human
    Thinking = what something is/isn't in relation to other things

For instance, something can be given a definition (the focus of T), but that doesn't determine its importance to the human experience (the focus of F). T thinking focuses on determining what something is or how it should be defined and F thinking focuses on determining how significant it is in relation to human needs.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive
    Likes spirilis liked this post