User Tag List

First 123 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I wish I was that at ease with it - it irritates the hell out of me. It's not enough for me to know someone's being ridiculous, I want them to see that they're being ridiculous.
    I would love for that to happen, too. Unfortunately, words over an Internet forum will not lead them to change their worldview--since its self-serving and selective nature is the problem in the first place. Really, it's better to wash your hands and allow life experience punch them in the dick.

I have years of experience working with technical folks, including engineers, scientists, Ph.D.s, postdocs, etc.; many of them take on a similar 'objective-thinking' mentality, yet they fall for the same psychological biases that affect absolutely everyone else. It's even worse because they refuse to believe that they're biased. Their certainty is an admirable and useful quality in their areas of expertise, but that same certainty is ridiculous and pathetic when carried over into life in general.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@Southern Kross/all: i've noticed es types are often very blunt and say things that others disagree with as well esp. when younger. Usually they seem to believe something along the lines of "If you can't hack it get out of the way." I think this is also intentionally done to remove more sensitive types from their social circles who they do not view as motivated/heading in the same place in life/wanting to be successful

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't participate because normally I don't really have a strict idea of what is "right" and "wrong". It's all in shades of gray and ultimately doesn't really matter in the grander scheme of things. I like posts that broaden my views and challenge my beliefs, whether I agree with them or not and I would join in if I have extra information or a different viewpoint to contribute. I'm passionate about certain issues, but I can also see why someone with an opposite viewpoint would be passionate about their opinions, so most of the time I find it futile to argue.

(Unless someone is clearly bashing a certain type or group of people out of prejudice, then my blood boils and I have to step in)

Maybe I'm an 9?
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What about those that are both 4 and FP?
    They keep alternating, depending on their mood.
    One day they are all (C), and on the other day they're all (E).

On a more serious note, I'm talking more their tendencies to go there. E and F are unsustainable behaviors (''ban me plx''), so it's hard to adopt them as standard.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

In my understanding the reason it happens is the Feelers are concerned about hurting others so they try to use a more detached and measured form of debate; they see the dangers of the minefield and therefore attempt tread carefully. Thinkers are less concerned about potentially hurting others (either because they don't see how the things they say could be hurtful or they don't see a problem with it) so they will use a wider range of methods to get their point across; they are more willing to march headlong into the minefield because if things blow up it will be more truthful and accurate (as with TPs) or it's just the natural course of things (as with TJs).
    Your description of Ts is sound. This is part of what I meant by not being intentionally hurtful, but not being willing to pussyfoot around the subjective and often unknown sensitivities of the various members. I indeed cannot understand how so many people find certain comments offensive, but neither can I deny that they do.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Anew Leaf

I don't usually participate because I don't see any point in doing so. The religious threads, as an example... What is the point? It's just a bunch of people yammering at each other, convinced that they are right. No one is going to change their mind on a personal belief based on a debate on an online forum.

I only have so much energy to use with the outside world and I prefer it be used on something that can be worthwhile.... like being silly.

I am INFP 4wAmazing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I think people would fall under different letters depending on what the topic is, and how it hits them.

If someone feels incredibly attached to a certain argument for whatever reason - religion, ethics, personal experience, etc. - then they are less likely to prioritize social harmony over their viewpoint.

And Fe users will probably feel like there is more benefit to presenting your idea in an appealing way, even if it is not complete disclosure, while Fi users will probably feel like there is more benefit to speaking your personal truth, even if it is unappealing to some. Te users will probably feel like there is more benefit to getting a point across efficiently, while Ti users will probably feel like there is more benefit to making sure an idea is understood correctly. Ps will also probably assume it is an ongoing discussion while Js will be more likely to press towards conclusion. Accordingly, TPs seem the most comfortable with extended controversial debate; FJs, the least.

And each of the enneatypes will lean on their number to facilitate self-protection - I have seen 9s attempt to take over and shut down entire discussion topics because the conclusions were not to their liking.

F.2's probably just tend to be trolls.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you forgot option G... posts in the thread just for the pure joy of making fun of those participating in the thread and making a mockery of all things held good and holy by the people who are arguing back and forth, for example, discussing penises

otherwise, it just depends on the topic and whether I think that the other posters are being melodramatic and silly or not... they usually are and it makes me laugh ... if it's a topic I actually care about I will participate in earnest and it depends as to how I deal with my level of offensiveness on the topic
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    you forgot option G... posts in the thread just for the pure joy of making fun of those participating in the thread and making a mockery of all things held good and holy by the people who are arguing back and forth, for example, discussing penises
    Yeah, this is closer to what I meant by my own 'F'. When a thread has becomes a pissing contest, it's just more productive to make a mockery of the whole thing by talking about penises.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Yeah, this is closer to what I meant by my own 'F'. When a thread has becomes a pissing contest, it's just more productive to make a mockery of the whole thing by talking about penises.
    and somehow that option is delightfully liberating in a strange way!

... though sometimes pictures of boobs are just as powerful in thread disruption
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett