• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne or Ni

Ne or Ni

• Total voters

Snow Turtle

Writing style and Content

"The occurrence of prospective dreams cannot be denied. It would be wrong to call them prophetic, because at bottom they are no more prophetic than a medical diagnosis or a weather forecast. They are merely an anticipatory combination of probabilities which may coincide with the actual behaviour of things but need not necessarily agree in every detail. Only in the latter case can we speak of "prophecy." That the prospective function of dreams is sometimes greatly superior to the combinations we can consciously foresee is not surprising, since a dream results from the fusion of subliminal elements and is thus a combination of all the perceptions, thoughts, and feelings which consciousness has not registered because of their feeble accentuation. In addition, dreams can rely on subliminal memory traces that are no longer able to influence consciousness effectively. With regard to prognosis, therefore, dreams are often in a much more favourable position than consciousness."

Which one and what's your reasoning? :)

If neither, do you think there's not enough information to go off?
Or perhaps you see another function associated with that piece of text?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
since a dream results from the fusion of subliminal elements and is thus a combination of all the perceptions, thoughts, and feelings which consciousness has not registered because of their feeble accentuation.

Neither. The text is about dreams, not about functions..

Anyone wondering about the source of quote: General Aspects of Dream Psychology by jung

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The subject matter applies to all types equally.

Did you mean the type shown in the writing itself? I see hints of Ti and Se/Ni but nothing solid...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think two answers -
1) Ne for the explanation because A. Carl Jung was an INTP and B. I see Ti but no Te in what has been written
2) Ni - because what he describes does sound like how Ni works to a degree - or maybe it is analogous to it

Snow Turtle

I think two answers -
1) Ne for the explanation because A. Carl Jung was an INTP and B. I see Ti but no Te in what has been written
2) Ni - because what he describes does sound like how Ni works to a degree - or maybe it is analogous to it

The reason I didn't think it was a good idea to include the person who wrote this is because it's no longer a blind piece of text. Knowledge of the individual will obviously influence the answer, if it's someone you have studied previously. But yes, I do see Ti as well. But I also thought it sounded like how Ni works as a function.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think two answers -

It sounds like how Ni works to a degree, because dreams work like Ni to a degree, its mentioned in the quote that in dreams all these thoughts, perceptions and feelings that are too weak to be consciously recognized are meshed into one, which is basically how Ni works too, except that Ni works with info not too weak for consciousness alot also.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Writing style and Content

Which one and what's your reasoning? :)

If neither, do you think there's not enough information to go off?
Or perhaps you see another function associated with that piece of text?

"[A] dream results from the fusion of subliminal elements and is thus a combination of all the perceptions, thoughts, and feelings which consciousness has not registered because of their feeble accentuation."

Because of the focus on dreams and subliminal perception, this has to be Ni.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's hard to explain but I got a Ti impression from the writing more than I did Ne or Ni.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's hard to explain but I got a Ti impression from the writing more than I did Ne or Ni.

What kind of impression do you get from this Jung quote?

‎"The meaning of events is the way of salvation that you create. The meaning of events comes from the possibility of life in this world that you create. It is the mastery of this world and the assertion of your soul in this world. This meaning of events is the supreme meaning, that is not in events, and not in the soul, but is the God standing between events and the soul, the mediator of life, the way, the bridge and the going across."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or this Jung quote?

"How painful, my soul, to hear you use hollow words; I feel sick. Comedy and drivel-but I yearn. I can also crawl through mud and the most despised banality. I can also eat dust; that is part of Hell. I do not yield, I am defiant. You can go on devising torments, spider-legged monsters, ridiculous, hideous, frightful theatrical spectacles. Come close, I am ready. Ready, my soul, you who are a devil, to wrestle with you too. You donned the mask of a God, and I worshiped you. Now you wear the mask of a devil, a frightful one, the mask of the banal, of eternal mediocrity! Only one favor! Give me a moment to step back and consider! Is the struggle with this mask worthwhile? Was the mask of God worth worshiping? I cannot do it, the lust for battle burns in my limbs. No, I cannot leave the battlefield defeated. I want to seize you, crush you, monkey, buffoon. Woe if the struggle is unequal, my hands grab at air. But your blows are also air, and I perceive trickery."

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

‎"The meaning of events is the way of salvation that you create. The meaning of events comes from the possibility of life in this world that you create. It is the mastery of this world and the assertion of your soul in this world. This meaning of events is the supreme meaning, that is not in events, and not in the soul, but is the God standing between events and the soul, the mediator of life, the way, the bridge and the going across."

I'd say Ni. It's more concerned with the meaning itself and how one makes their own meaning in things.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say Ni. It's more concerned with the meaning itself and how one makes their own meaning in things.

Which represents the real Jung: Ni, or Ti?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Gobbledygook

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Contemplating on meaning is T activity.

"Sensation tells you what is, thinking tells you what it is, feeling tells you what its worth and intuition tells you where it came from and where it is going" -jung

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Contemplating on meaning is T activity.

"Sensation tells you what is, thinking tells you what it is, feeling tells you what its worth and intuition tells you where it came from and where it is going" -jung

Since I am so ignorant in your eyes, I am forced to ask where you got this quote.

G

garbage

The OP's quote seems like Ni, but only because the functions are defined too narrowly and stereotypically--it mentions prophecy, dreams, and forecasting, so, well.. yeah, Ni; why not.

Some of the other quotes seem like a "good mixture of functions," which really just means that they come from a mature, integrated perspective.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Since I am so ignorant in your eyes, I am forced to ask where you got this quote.

From my personality psychology professor originally, then i noticed it was said in jungs book 'man and his symbols' and he says the same thing, but worded slightly differently in that interview you are referring to elsewhere.