User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ne or Ni

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ne

    1 10.00%
  • Ni

    4 40.00%
  • Neither

    5 50.00%
First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Ne or Ni

  1. #21
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    From my personality psychology professor originally, then i noticed it was said in jungs book 'man and his symbols' and he says the same thing, but worded slightly differently in that interview you are referring to elsewhere.
    That's true, and the interesting thing is that it defeats your point that "Contemplating on meaning is T activity," since it is necessary to think in order to determine where something came from and where it is going.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #22
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    The OP's quote seems like Ni, but only because the functions are defined too narrowly and stereotypically--it mentions prophecy, dreams, and forecasting, so, well.. yeah, Ni; why not.

    Some of the other quotes seem like a "good mixture of functions," which really just means that they come from a mature, integrated perspective.
    With Jung it is easy to spot the primacy of mythos over logos, where the mythos forms the collective unconscious and logos is an individual matter. If Jung defined things stereotypically then that shows his thinking was a weak and dependent function. None of it even comes close to meeting my own high standards of logos.

    For example, from "Man and His Symbols" Jung argues that mythological ideas weren't invented, they were already there. However, his argument relies on the etymology of "invent" which has its roots in "to find." Therefore, the shoddy Jung argument goes, ideas were "found" lying around apparently in the collective unconscious of primitive man.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #23
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    With Jung it is easy to spot the primacy of mythos over logos, where the mythos forms the collective unconscious and logos is an individual matter. If Jung defined things stereotypically then that shows his thinking was a weak and dependent function. None of it even comes close to meeting my own high standards of logos.

    For example, from "Man and His Symbols" Jung argues that mythological ideas weren't invented, they were already there. However, his argument relies on the etymology of "invent" which has its roots in "to find." Therefore, the shoddy Jung argument goes, ideas were "found" lying around apparently in the collective unconscious of primitive man.
    That's an interesting definition of "invent." It reminds me of Lenore's concept of Ne, where patterns are "already present in the universe" waiting for someone to find them.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    That's an interesting definition of "invent." It reminds me of Lenore's concept of Ne, where patterns are "already present in the universe" waiting for someone to find them.
    It also begs the question of how those unconscious ideas became conscious in primitive man in the form of myths and legends.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #25
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    "The motto 'where there's a will there's a way' is the superstition of modern man." (Man and His Symbols)

    Wow, that's a good one for The Objectivist "horror file."

    (See the last paragraphs of the page at http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServ...he_objectivist to find out what a horror file is.)
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #26
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    That's true, and the interesting thing is that it defeats your point that "Contemplating on meaning is T activity," since it is necessary to think in order to determine where something came from and where it is going.
    Intuition doesent require thinking analysis, cba to explain why since i have already explained it so many times. I suggest reading these topics http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...137-ne-si.html and http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ean-model.html
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Intuition doesent require thinking analysis, cba to explain why since i have already explained it so many times. I suggest reading these topics http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...137-ne-si.html and http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ean-model.html
    Interesting, but it detracts from the N creative process, as with a sudden new understanding based merely on elements of facts and other ideas.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #28
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Interesting, but it detracts from the N creative process, as with a sudden new understanding based merely on elements of facts and other ideas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativ...the_cerebellum

    If you cant see what how this fits in your missing picture, i cba to explain.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  9. #29
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativ...the_cerebellum

    If you cant see what how this fits in your missing picture, i cba to explain.
    Thank you for sparing me, since brain areas and their interactions is not the same as the theory of functions and their interactions. The cerebro-cerebellar pathways attempt to bring optimal efficiency to cognition, but this doesn't seem to fit well with "where has it been and where is it going."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #30
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Thank you for sparing me, since brain areas and their interactions is not the same as the theory of functions and their interactions. The cerebro-cerebellar pathways attempt to bring optimal efficiency to cognition, but this doesn't seem to fit well with "where has it been and where is it going."
    Dig deeper
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

Similar Threads

  1. Ne or Ni?
    By Amber97 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-09-2016, 02:13 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Am i using Ne or Ni (Possibly other functions) in the examples below?
    By Cat Brainz in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-26-2016, 01:22 PM
  3. [MBTItm] ISTP or INTP (Ne or Ni)
    By AuroraBorealis in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 12:38 PM
  4. Which function more likely to land you in the Psych Ward: Ne or Ni?
    By mysavior in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
  5. Science: Better for Ne/Ti or Ni/Te??
    By teslashock in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 03:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO