User Tag List

12 Last

Society

Default MBTI test writers: can cognitive functions be tested as skills?

looking over the various posted results from the cognitive function tests (appearing to break all the MBTI rules), i was thinking: what if the relativity doesn't stand for priority? what if we actually don't use functions by strength but by how good we are at mixing them or by how attuned we are?

first: instead of asking people about various stereotypical manifestations of what they use, we ask questions that demand the usage.

we formulate hypothetical social scenario's to place the subject in and perhaps even ask them to interpret photo's of various people in various situations body language and facial expressions. we ask about the person's values and in the next page choose ethical questions to see how they implement those values. we test for deductive reasoning and general reasoning, we test for the capacity to find the underlining patterns, we test for the capacity to make connections and extrapolations...

we do this on two levels:
    we test for the individual usage of a function.
    we test for various combined usage of functions.

comparing those two would be a huge step forward IMO, but the next level is testing for how attuned we are to each function's use:
    we present images with both patterns and weird objects of interest, asking what pops in one's mind? or images with both objects of interests and things which are "wrong" or break the expectations, social scenario's in which consideration for others and values come into conflict, etc...

is this a feat we can deliver across this community? can we brainstorm the questions and scenario's and examine which functions they would use? also - do we have people with photoshop skills? anyone skilled at puzzle designs? have their being any previous attempts to do any of this we can draw upon?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Functions arent skills, so you cant test them as skills.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Society

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Functions arent skills, so you cant test them as skills.
    pfft, semantics: they are useful and applicable to various situations, meaning we can test their use.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

1. Functions are technically a mind-set, not a skill-set; although one could theoretically redefine them as a Skill-set by tweeking the definitions of them.

2. There's no scientific was to measure them either way, since congitive functions are a theory that is unfalsiable IIRC.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    pfft, semantics: they are useful and applicable to various situations, meaning we can test their use.
    Lets say that im am ISTJ, meaning that my F is introverted and is tert. Now you imagine a scenario about social cues or stuff like that(which you seem to see as Fe) and my mother was an ENFJ princess, so she had to do ALOT of socializing when i was growing up and i followed her to those situations alot and learned about social cues. Voila, your method gave a false Fe reading, even tho i was just remembering things that happened.. Could make up similar examples to all functions, but no point in that.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

we formulate hypothetical social scenario's to place the subject in and perhaps even ask them to interpret photo's of various people in various situations body language and facial expressions. we ask about the person's values and in the next page choose ethical questions to see how they implement those values. we test for deductive reasoning and general reasoning, we test for the capacity to find the underlining patterns, we test for the capacity to make connections and extrapolations...
    How would these be linked to functions though?

I think you are on the right track about instead testing for combined pairs of functions, and throwing in differents sorts of questions in there, but even the use of the term "usage" for functions is kind of misleading. Making the functions into things that are "used," and even more so, making them into quantifiable abilities, creates a whole new typology.... one that could be very different from one's psychological type.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    What does any of this have to do with functions though?

I think you are on the right track about instead testing for combined pairs of functions, and throwing in differents sorts of questions in there, but even the use of the term "usage" for functions is kind of misleading. Making the functions into things that are "used," and even more so, making them into quantifyable abilities, creates a whole new typology.... one that could be extremely different from one's psychological type.
    sure, why not?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

sure, why not?
    So..... you are making a new system?

Society

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    So..... you are making a new system?
    i'm just saying we should to this for comparison with the current cognitive function test questions - at the very least so we can compare the results between the self-testifying questions of current cognitive function tests and the application of cognitive function tests (and yes like @INTP said their will be false positives, but we probably have a lot of those anyway, we might actually have less), as well as map the connection between the two....

...and everything else i said, which so far hasn't included anything about me doing stuff. but... what about a "king of [insert cognitive function]" game? where people enter by putting their cognitive function use, and challenge each other by scenario's, questions, riddles, etc? this way we'll gradually have more and more cognitive function specific questions to test by...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Cognitive functions are not skills. A dominant function is incredibly versatile. It is omnipresent; from ordering food at a restaurant to philosophical inquiry.
    I don't see any invisible treasure chests.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Enneagram? 6 with a strong 7 wing
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?