• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Signs of Ni

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah but, if you don't mind me saying, that way you're just stuck in your head. i mean, you have a closed perspective on things, you are not the universe, you don't know if your vision of being a pilot is close to reality. you kinda have to experience it, or at least get closer to it, to see how it is. no?
anyway, I'm really loving this forum. i to have a lot of problems to understand Ni (and i super appreciate my Ni-dom friends) so you're all helping me out :)
Okay, I think I finally have the hang of this Introversion vs Extroversion thing.

Extroversion: Reacts to environment.
Introversion: Reacts to self.

So an Ne-user would be more focused upon carrying through with an aspiration (such as a job they'd like to do someday), while a Ni-user would be more concerned with coming up with an imaginary scenario in their head and then...well, maybe acting upon it less directly?

Another example:

Ne: "Someday...I wanna be a pilot. I wanna feel the thrill of flying, cruise the skies, and make use of the technology mankind has developed to accommodate for our lack of wings!"

Ni: "Hmm...I wonder what it's like to be a pilot? *suddenly gets a vivid mental image in their head of being a pilot, and an impression of what it'd be like, how their superiors would behave to them, how difficult it is to operate the machinery*"

I'm definitely an Ni-user, which leaves me with a tendency to daydream. While it gives me a creative flow, I can come off as kinda lazy because I don't 'act' as often upon my ideas. Because I am auxiliary Fe, I only really act upon my Ni-generated ideas when I have support from others. And it also doesn't help because I have this constant compulsion to be 'on call' for everyone and anyone all the time, even though it never lets me get anything done... ._.;;

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ha ha. Nice example. And I'd like to add that while the INTJ might think that the INTP is simply being a pain in the ass or trying to annoy him (which of course could be the case if the INTJ has previously provoked resentment in the INTP) it is probably more likely that this really does matter and makes a relevent difference to the INTP.

Sloppy language leads to sloppy thinking and sloppy thinking is an abomination before the Lord! :D

To a Ti dom inconsistencies or incomplete depictions of a system often cause what I like to call the "Ti headache": it makes us nervous and uncomfortable and causes an almost irresistable urge to say: "well, actually ...". This isn't about being a smartass nitpicker, it is about putting the universe back in order. Screw practicality, a false or misleading statement is a stain on the cosmos' crisp white cotton shirt.

Yeah, I totally get that, and I understand where INTPs are coming from when they do that. I perceive two general problems with the INTP approach, though. (Not that the INTJ approach doesn't have problems.)

1. The INTP's logical misgivings only matter in a material sense about 1 time in 10, in my experience. That one time is very important, of course, but the other nine feel like, erm, red herrings, to the INTJ. xNTPs in general can get a reputation for crying wolf in a business organization, if they aren't careful and treat every imperfection as if it urgently needs a remedy.
  2. The INTP is so focused on the perceived logical consistency that he stops listening, interrupting in the middle of a statement without processing everything in the statement. INTPs aren't ignorant of context, but the perceived wrinkle might actually be straightened out by context if one waits for a statement to be completed.

On the INTJ side, the problem is more along the lines of realizing the effect of one's own force of personality: even if one is honestly trying to carefully analyze a topic and inviting others' opinions, the INTJ's challenging dialectic back-and-forth will cause some people to simply back off and avoid the perceived "conflict." INTJs can get surrounded by "yes men" who either believe the INTJ is an idiot or must really know what he's doing if he's so confident, which is exactly what INTJs don't want.

The main fix on the INTJ side is to present ideas more gently. It can still be declarative, but interjecting statements like "Please let me know if I'm wrong about something, here" or "Is there anything I'm missing?" can go a long way to break past the communication barriers.

The main fix on the INTP side is to tone down the intensity w/r to a statement being wrong. A typical tone-down I see in real life looks like, "I think that might not be entirely accurate." (I use this one myself!) Also, once a flaw or inconsistency is shared and duly noted by others, recognize that its relative importance is dependent upon others' priorities, not just one's own. If you think it's really important, brainstorm with an xNTJ (or xxTJ if that's all you have) to cooperatively come up with use cases where the identified logical flaw could backfire in such a way that a later fix is likely to be both very urgent and difficult to implement.

FYI, INTJs typically dismiss flaws on the grounds that the expected urgency and difficulty are acceptable. In particular, INTJs instinctively realize that one always has more information about how to redo something at the time the fix is needed than when speculating into the future. A common ground can be found (for example) in software, where both INTJ and INTP will want to build things to be simple and flexible, keeping in mind that most changes are completely unexpected.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's more like this:
INTJ: this light switch turns the lights on/off
ENFP: you can't have sex with a light switch!
INTJ: ?

The end.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To put things in perspective, I find that INTPs react badly to "incomplete" INTJ statements. As an analogy (not a real technical discussion but a simulation of one), I might see something like this:

INTJ: The switch turns the light on.
INTP: That's not true.
INTJ: Of course it is. *walks over to the switch, turns the light on and off a few times with the switch* See? The switch turns the light on.
I can understand the INTP's frustration here, but could never understand why they don't just short-circuit the discussion at this point by pointing out that "it shuts the light off, too". This would avoid a whole lot of nitpicky beating around the bush.

On the INTJ side, the problem is more along the lines of realizing the effect of one's own force of personality: even if one is honestly trying to carefully analyze a topic and inviting others' opinions, the INTJ's challenging dialectic back-and-forth will cause some people to simply back off and avoid the perceived "conflict." INTJs can get surrounded by "yes men" who either believe the INTJ is an idiot or must really know what he's doing if he's so confident, which is exactly what INTJs don't want.
I experience this quite often. I tend to assume people can hold their own with me, because many of them do. I'm always puzzled and rather disappointed when someone just gives up in this manner. Even my INTP does it sometimes. I find myself in the odd position of almost begging the other person to disagree with me, in a substantive way: "show me where I'm wrong; I really want to see it!"

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a silly thread. I engage in real life debates with an INTJ at least one day a week, so it's really hard to take this stuff I'm reading here seriously.

Yes, he thinks he's the smartest guy around. But so what if his IQ is in the 99th percentile, that doesn't mean he knows everything. That's why he hates the internet, I can Google the information he used to provide; or I can use it to prove him wrong on subjects like electricity or how flat screen tv's create a picture. These are outside his field of expertise, yet he has to demonstrate knowledge that he doesn't really have. And if he can't fake the knowledge he gets really pissy.

In my view, the INTP/INTJ conflict is over knowledge vs. methodology or logic. An INTJ methodology involves inventing any rationalization to "prove" the validity of his knowledge. And when pursued to the brink, he will simply say "I'm right because I went to college for 8 years." It doesn't matter to him that none of his 8 years of college even covered the topic in question.

It just seems like there's a lot of INTP bashing in this thread. INTPs can be nitpicky - and so can ISTJs - but only in the interest of stifling communication.

Here is a real life example of ISTJ nitpicking. I was discussing an F1 tornado I saw a few years ago. It was a few miles away from where I was standing, but it was clearly, to me, a tornado. The ISTJ tells me that I don't know if it was really a tornado because I didn't see it touching the ground. So I said, "In other words, it could have been hovering an inch above ground and therefore only be a funnel cloud?" "Exactly."

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I suppose you could say that when it comes to an INTJ vs an INTP....

Ni with Te looks at perspectives as being important through the usage of insights, with occasional empirical evidence < (I said this as Ni tends to be very strong in either of the Ni dom types and in an INTJ it tends to sideline Te's normal nature of application somewhat.

and

Ti with Ne looks at subjective system analysis as being important through the usage of empirical evidence and correlating ideas.

Both of them suffer from a problem of sometimes leaving out information that would go against their argument, but that could be put down to more of a human flaw than a functional one since INFJ's can do the same.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a silly thread. I engage in real life debates with an INTJ at least one day a week, so it's really hard to take this stuff I'm reading here seriously.

Yes, he thinks he's the smartest guy around. But so what if his IQ is in the 99th percentile, that doesn't mean he knows everything. That's why he hates the internet, I can Google the information he used to provide; or I can use it to prove him wrong on subjects like electricity or how flat screen tv's create a picture. These are outside his field of expertise, yet he has to demonstrate knowledge that he doesn't really have. And if he can't fake the knowledge he gets really pissy.
Why is it when there is a discussion comparing INTJs to INTPs, with several civil posts from both INTJs and INTPs, invariably, it seems that someone will post something like, "Oh, yeah? Well, I know an INTJ in real life, and he's just a pretentious jerk." Yours isn't the only one: check out the whole thread.

Such points beg the question, and come across as remarkably self-serving. We don't know whether the real life person is really an INTJ, whether he was actually correct/incorrect about something, whether the poster misinterpreted what he said, or whether the poster's assessment of his emotional state (e.g., "pissy", "arrogant") is an accurate synopsis. We only have the poster's assertions of such, and no, we can't use Google to fact check such anecdotes.

In my view, the INTP/INTJ conflict is over knowledge vs. methodology or logic. An INTJ methodology involves inventing any rationalization to "prove" the validity of his knowledge. And when pursued to the brink, he will simply say "I'm right because I went to college for 8 years." It doesn't matter to him that none of his 8 years of college even covered the topic in question.
"Any rationalization ..." Do you seriously believe that your singular example, which may or may not be accurate, applies to all INTJs as a class?

I was talking with a wonderful young woman last night, who turned out to be an INTJ. She was charming and gracious, and I'd definitely picked up the Ni vibe and typed her as a likely INFJ. I broached the topic with her and she replied that she was an INTJ. I asked whether there was any doubt on the F/T? "Hell no!" she replied.

So, should I generalize from this anecdotal evidence that all INTJs are lovely, charming and gracious?

It just seems like there's a lot of INTP bashing in this thread.
You might want to take a peek in the cognitive mirror, so to speak.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION]: I mostly agree on your analysis. The thing is that both sides measure success in different ways. Yes, if I want to simply get something done I will probably approach a TJ, preferably an NTJ and ask for their input. They have a very refreshing and efficient way of cutting things down to the core essentials and the most likely outcome. This is especially important in a efficiency focused environment. But that is a Te target which, naturally, is best served by Te and Ni.
But there is more to life than business and engineering. As an INTP, I am on this earth to observe and learn and try to understand. To me, beautiful and elegant thought constructs are an end in themselves. I usually couldn't care less about how useful or efficient an idea is. I am more inpressed by coherent explanatory systems that are elegantly closed in themselves. To these ends, Ti-Ne is much more useful.

This might sound a bit redundant, but what I am trying to say is that the qualities of Te best serve to reach the goals Te usually strives for and the qualities of Ti best serve the goals Ti strives for. So if a Te user tells me that something is of no practical use, I can only answer "so what? there are more important things in life than something as profane as practical use!" And they might shake their heads at me in disbelief. And if I criticize a hole in a system of theirs and they answer: "so what? - it works!" I can only shake my head in disbelief at such disregard for "Truth" and elegance :D
So what you criticize as a weakness of the INTP is a weakness if you look a it with the eyes of an INTJ - focused on efficiency and outcome - and vice versa, the weakness of the INTJ - closed to detail and alternatives - is a weakness in the eyes of an INTP...you might say that weakness lies in the eye of the beholder and depends on that person's own criteria and goals.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, there IS a whole lot of INTP bashing going on here, but it is mostly coming from one particular member - I am looking at you, Zoroaster - and is so OTT that I prefer to assume he is trolling.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is it when there is a discussion comparing INTJs to INTPs, with several civil posts from both INTJs and INTPs, invariably, it seems that someone will post something like, "Oh, yeah? Well, I know an INTJ in real life, and he's just a pretentious jerk." Yours isn't the only one: check out the whole thread.

So annoying.

So, should I generalize from this anecdotal evidence that all INTJs are lovely, charming and gracious?

But of course.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Such points beg the question, and come across as remarkably self-serving. We don't know whether the real life person is really an INTJ, whether he was actually correct/incorrect about something, whether the poster misinterpreted what he said, or whether the poster's assessment of his emotional state (e.g., "pissy", "arrogant") is an accurate synopsis. We only have the poster's assertions of such, and no, we can't use Google to fact check such anecdotes.

"Any rationalization ..." Do you seriously believe that your singular example, which may or may not be accurate, applies to all INTJs as a class?

I was talking with a wonderful young woman last night, who turned out to be an INTJ. She was charming and gracious, and I'd definitely picked up the Ni vibe and typed her as a likely INFJ. I broached the topic with her and she replied that she was an INTJ. I asked whether there was any doubt on the F/T? "Hell no!" she replied.

You might want to take a peek in the cognitive mirror, so to speak.

It looks like you're doing a great job of proving my points.

I noticed you didn't say anything about my ISTJ story. Is that because ISTJ bashing is acceptable practice, as is nitpicking about INTP nitpicking, but INTJ bashing is not acceptable?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes, but not very many people are lovely, charming and gracious 24/7/365. After a few years I can see the chinks in the personality begin to shine forth more clearly. That's true of any type. The INTJs I know are very polite and easy-going. But then, sometimes, they can go cold as ice, either from being very focused or very angry. With some, anger is translated straight into a kind of glumness or depression, which prevents them from becoming aware of it.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thousand-yard stare and leading you towards predetermined ideas. Ni pulls.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
uumlau I mostly agree on your analysis. The thing is that both sides measure success in different ways. Yes, if I want to simply get something done I will probably approach a TJ, preferably an NTJ and ask for their input. They have a very refreshing and efficient way of cutting things down to the core essentials and the most likely outcome.

I kinda disagree with this cutting things down to core essentials. INTJs seem to do a horrible job at this(have noticed it in real life and on these forums), while for INTPs the core essentials is all that matters.
I do agree that INTJs try to see the core issue of things, but they approach it by looking at things at very superficial Te level and make Ni assumptions about the core issue from those surface level truths. This sort of approach is doomed to fail in reaching the core issue, even tho it might lead to assumptions that work, but only work at very superficial level. Naturally for INTJ it seems like they really understood the core issue, because it works on this superficial level, which is all they care about.
INTPs on the other hand doesent tend to really care about this superficial level, but dig deep by looking at the issue from all angles and using logic to get to the core issue(opposed to seeing what makes logical sense about what is and making what ever logical or not assumptions about how these things fit together).
This difference is really what causes most disagreements between INTJs and INTPs. INTPs looking at the core issue and because digging deep enough and because of that being able to apply these fundamentals to other things aswell seems untrusted and uncomprehensive to INTJ, because they make assumptions about the core issue based on superficial Te logic and cant see how INTP applies these core issues to other things aswell.

Uumlau has shown this many times on this topic(and in other topics aswell) by making totally false assumptions about INTPs. Like this INTPs being so focused on perceived logical consistency that they stop listening and therefore interrupt. While in reality its not that we arent listening and are only focused on logic, its just that we ALSO focus on logic and are quick to see if what the other person is making illogical statements(or it just seems like it because the other person is leaving something essential out), so we ask for clarification in order to see the logic in what the other person says. And if there is no logic in what the other person talks about(assuming we are discussing about something where it matters, like science), its better that the other person realizes the logical mistake instead of talking bullshit for an hour, because if there is one fundamental mistake in logic, there is usually more than that one coming. Now lets assume that someone talks about how fairies used to rule the earth 10 years ago, and ill let him talk for an hour and at that time notice 43 logical mistakes. In order to point out these mistakes in logic, i would have to write them all down, so that i would be able to point them out and explain them later.
Also in my experience INTJs are way worse at interrupting and whats worse, INTJs interrupt because they dont see something as relevant and dont give a chance for me to explain what it has to do with it..

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
This might sound a bit redundant, but what I am trying to say is that the qualities of Te best serve to reach the goals Te usually strives for and the qualities of Ti best serve the goals Ti strives for. So if a Te user tells me that something is of no practical use, I can only answer "so what? there are more important things in life than something as profane as practical use!" And they might shake their heads at me in disbelief. And if I criticize a hole in a system of theirs and they answer: "so what? - it works!" I can only shake my head in disbelief at such disregard for "Truth" and elegance :D

So what you criticize as a weakness of the INTP is a weakness if you look a it with the eyes of an INTJ - focused on efficiency and outcome - and vice versa, the weakness of the INTJ - closed to detail and alternatives - is a weakness in the eyes of an INTP...you might say that weakness lies in the eye of the beholder and depends on that person's own criteria and goals.

Most of this is fine and well and true and I agree, but apparently you missed a large portion of what uumlau stated. Plenty of the things he mentioned are actual failures by INTPs: 1) to recognize what is relevant for a particular moment -- not just in their minds, but what the situation actually calls for (i.e., in your examples: at work, or in engineering); 2) for misinterpreting what INTJs say by bringing in all kinds of considerations that have little or nothing to do with what an INTJ is intending to express; 3) for tending to stop listening when what they deem important (the consistency/beauty of the idea) is "violated"; and 4) for attempting to use Fe judgments/"shame" methods on TJs for stating objective Te truths, because Te rubs their cognitive preferences the wrong way. He likewise mentioned weakness/failures of INTJs, which are true, and I/we have no problem owning up to those. Better to recognize the common idiocies of your type and deal with them than to just try and deny them. Indeed, some of your kin in this thread are in need of a healthy dose of that (but, of course, those who are in most need of it are the ones who don't realize it).

Also, there IS a whole lot of INTP bashing going on here, but it is mostly coming from one particular member - I am looking at you, Zoroaster - and is so OTT that I prefer to assume he is trolling.

Hey, I can't help that you guys are so easy to (accurately) pick on.

Just look at the village idiots that have come swarming in.

You know as well as I do that they prove my point.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most of this is fine and well and true and I agree, but apparently you missed a large portion of what uumlau stated. Plenty of the things he mentioned are actual failures by INTPs: 1) to recognize what is relevant for a particular moment -- not just in their minds, but what the situation actually calls for (i.e., in your examples: at work, or in engineering); 2) for misinterpreting what INTJs say by bringing in all kinds of considerations that have little or nothing to do with what an INTJ is intending to express; 3) for tending to stop listening when what they deem important (the consistency/beauty of the idea) is "violated"; and 4) for attempting to use Fe judgments/"shame" methods on TJs for stating objective Te truths, because Te rubs their cognitive preferences the wrong way. He likewise mentioned weakness/failures of INTJs, which are true, and I/we have no problem owning up to those. Better to recognize the common idiocies of your type and deal with them than to just try and deny them. Indeed, some of your kin in this thread are in need of a healthy dose of that (but, of course, those who are in most need of it are the ones who don't realize it)..

I did not "miss" that part, I just decided not to focus in it.

What made you assume that I missed that part? I decided to focus on something else because it seemed more interesting and more relevant to me and because I have doubts whether these points are true. Not because I didn't listen or shut myself off to the possibility that they might be true. As a good P I take in all the information I can, even if I decide to focus on something else instead. Maybe situations like this creates that assumption that INTPs don't listen.

But if you insist:
1) I think I did covered that one (zon ing in on what needs to be done, more focused on relevence/efficiency)
2) It looks like misinterpreting to the INTJ who is so focused on hios one solution, but for us it is merely bringing in the wider context which to us is just as relevent
3) I have not observed that behavior in myself or other INTPs IRL or here, not more than in other types, and as I said, a good P takes in information like a sponge
4) I never observed that Fe shaming method. What does happen is that sometimes an NTJ is so abrasive and overconfident that inferior Fe shales its head and assumes that this must be Fi at play, or Ni + Fi which seems to translate as "I am right, I just know it, just trust me on this one and screw the rest of you" - we can not imagine how somebody could be so overconfident because improvisation and remaining doubts are parts of the Ti-Ne version of intellectual integrity. At least that's how I perceive it and how I have heard other NTPs describe it.

What makes you think that I do not see the INTPs weaknesses just because I did not immediately adress all of these points directly? We have loads of weaknesses like any other type. But with your premature assumptions you just illustrated that much of what you accuse NTPs of applies to you guys as well if not more :D

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
So I see you ARE listening. :D

I said from the get-go that I agreed with most of what you said.

It was the last part where you went wrong.

That is why I said apparently you missed it.

I used "apparently", specifically, as a semi-qualifier.

For someone who just posted about their fantastic use of qualifiers, you seem to not get them too well when you read them.

At first, I figured answering your post would just be uninteresting -- exactly what had prompted me to address it that way had escaped me.

Then I reread what you'd written and recalled why I did.

Response pending. (well... unless I get bored with it.)