User Tag List

First 273536373839 Last

Thread: Signs of Ni

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Agreed about not using enough Se. But sometimes things are not as they seem. So using just Se, or using Se primarily, might prohibit someone from seeing truth behind the scenes, which can present an alternate reality, if you will.
    yes ofc. but also sometimes not noticing something that is, is prohibiting to see whats behind the scenes
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    yes ofc. but also sometimes not noticing something that is, is prohibiting to see whats behind the scenes
    I just don't attribute much to Se's seeing reality, and the focus of taking in hard facts as representative of reality.

Anymore, I think of reality as whatever you choose to focus in on.

Some even choose to make their reality out of the contents of their minds. Or their dreams.

Which is more accurate? And if one is more accurate, is it therefore more valid? Or not?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I just don't attribute much to Se's seeing reality, and the focus of taking in hard facts as representative of reality.

Anymore, I think of reality as whatever you choose to focus in on.

Some even choose to make their reality out of the contents of their minds. Or their dreams.

Which is more accurate? And if one is more accurate, is it therefore more valid? Or not?
    Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
    da Vinci

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Heheheh!

OK. Think in terms of LEGOs.

LEGOs of course have different shapes and sizes, and the little connector thingies that let you attach them however you wish. It's obvious that both the shape/size AND the connector thingies are important. But when figuring out how to put them together, Ni and Si tend to look at a different aspect, first. Si looks at shape/size, and thinks in terms of where all the pieces should go. Ni looks instead at the connectors, and thinks in terms of what other connectors fit with this connector. Given a little LEGO person, Si will put the arms where the arms go, the head where the head goes, and the legs where the legs go. Ni will see no problem, however, putting the arm on top of the head, or a leg on an arm, or giving him four arms. Why? Because the connectors fit! As long as the connectors fit it's a good system.

These seems nonsensical, of course: 4 arms isn't a good system if you need to walk, for example. But in real life, the connectors are more complicated; in real life, there are only very few ways they can fit together. LEGOs see connectors the way Si people see the connectors: a minor detail. Everyone knows where the arms go, right? Ni people see the connectors more like those of a jigsaw puzzle than LEGOs: it doesn't matter what the picture is on the puzzle; the pieces either fit together or they don't.

So an Ni system is comprised of figuring out how the connectors all work, and building around that. An Si system is more about connecting things together based on what they "are", and the connectors are secondary.

Thus an Si system is based on one's internal understanding of things and how they are classified and organized, which helps to explain its effective rigidity. An Ni system is based on the connectors, and thus can build things inconceivable in the usual Si sense, putting things in the "wrong place" because it's the connectors matching up, not the classification of the thing, that determines its place.
    @KDude had a very interesting analysis of Ni. Can you offer your advice on his point?

At the end of the day though, the variation in SPs will revolve around Se, not Ni. And Ni will still weigh on things they're experiencing (Se), filling in the blanks of what isn't there. If it takes on a nutty or negative tone, it almost always has to do with the things they're least sure about. Extroverted Judgement. It might fill in a lot of blanks when it came to Fe or Te. Reading the intentions of certain people, value systems, and entire constructs. It makes them rebellious. I'm not sure what a Ti/Fi-Ni loop truly is, but I'm almost sure it's being hung up on shit they're actually experiencing and giving them stress.

Raptor's Ni is even further removed from what he's observing. He's working from a vacuum, his starting points aren't Se.. it isn't about things he's in touch with or any specific people he knows.. He's talking about sorcerors and Telsa. And alien takeovers. Or something. I don't know. They're abstract ideas, that aren't exactly tied into things in his environment. And he talks about it fluidly.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Raptor's Ni is even further removed from what he's observing. He's working from a vacuum, his starting points aren't Se.. it isn't about things he's in touch with or any specific people he knows.. He's talking about sorcerors and Telsa. And alien takeovers. Or something. I don't know. They're abstract ideas, that aren't exactly tied into things in his environment. And he talks about it fluidly.
    I'll get to your other questions later (heading to work soon), but I should note w/r to your statement above that there is a difference between "abstract" and "intangible" or "fictional". You don't have an "abstract" concept of sorcerers or alien takeovers: you have specific contexts, and you ask yourself specific questions along the lines of "what would happen if (insert fun possibility here) happened?" Then you let your intuition go to town on answering it, having fun the whole time. An "abstract" concept/question would be more along the lines of, "What makes a sorcerer different from a wizard?" I.e., there is no specific sorcerer or wizard to be compared, you aren't comparing Bob the sorcerer to Joe the wizard, you're comparing only the abstract concepts of each.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I'll get to your other questions later (heading to work soon), but I should note w/r to your statement above that there is a difference between "abstract" and "intangible" or "fictional". You don't have an "abstract" concept of sorcerers or alien takeovers: you have specific contexts, and you ask yourself specific questions along the lines of "what would happen if (insert fun possibility here) happened?" Then you let your intuition go to town on answering it, having fun the whole time. An "abstract" concept/question would be more along the lines of, "What makes a sorcerer different from a wizard?" I.e., there is no specific sorcerer or wizard to be compared, you aren't comparing Bob the sorcerer to Joe the wizard, you're comparing only the abstract concepts of each.
    Well I am assuming work is over now, but I wonder how the abstract/fictional qualities relate to Ni or if it has nothing to do with it whatsoever. I was actually more interested in the first paragraph of @KDude quote than the 2nd half, since the first half described how the function operates on a broad basis.

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Sorcerers, Nikola Tesla and Aliens are things I'm sure Raptor Ni would not have a concept of if he'd lived in a barrel all his life with no contact to the outside world.
    There is no vacuum. Except vacuums. My scientific knowledge of vacuums is limited but I would imagine they'd not be a great place for a person to be doing their thinking in.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    Sorcerers, Nikola Tesla and Aliens are things I'm sure Raptor Ni would not have a concept of if he'd lived in a barrel all his life with no contact to the outside world.
    There is no vacuum. Except vacuums. My scientific knowledge of vacuums is limited but I would imagine they'd not be a great place for a person to be doing their thinking in.
    Ironically, I think people like the concept of Alien saviors and monsters because they could possibly be observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Ironically, I think people like the concept of Alien saviors and monsters because they could possibly be observed.
    If that was the case, they'd still be investigating cases or something, their Ni would be in their hunches at best. Funnily, even Lenore Thomson typed someone as crazy as Fox Mulder an ISFP (and she's an INTJ).

But I don't think that's what Raptor is talking about. He's talking about historical patterns.. or something. It's abstracted.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If that was the case, they'd still be investigating cases or something,
    Don't "they"?

their Ni would be in their hunches at best.
    I said they like the concept. I didn't say they had a hunch, or even a belief in aliens.
    But I don't think that's what Raptor is talking about. He's talking about historical patterns.. or something. It's abstracted.
    History, huh? That has nothing to do with observation at all.