User Tag List

First 233132333435 Last

Thread: Signs of Ni

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

@Zarathustra Well thank you for your comprehensive answer (though ironically the delivery could have been less rude).

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    ironically
    Precisely

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My understanding is that Ni is extremely big picture thinking and so many of the traits associated with it come down to different ways of trying to process what exceeds comprehension. One way to do this is to be open to an overall vague sense of things and waiting for an impulse of thought to crystallize. Another approach is to work to distill ideas down to core concepts which are malleable and able to be reapplied in many contexts. Using metaphor also attempts to capture the incomprehensible. I think Ni requires a lot of time to reflect upon and involves both the conscious and unconscious mind because it is like peering over the precipice and so continually deals with the feeling of clinging to the cliff's edge while becoming willing to let go to the vast uncertainty of reality.

I tend to see people as using Ni based in part on their interests, but even moreso the reasons they are interested in it. I have a lifelong interest in astronomy and psychology because at their core both are incomprehensible. Fully comprehending something makes me feel claustrophobic in idea space, and so I seek out topics without hard boundaries.

This is just my perspective and understanding of the concept.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Precisely
    I suppose the most obvious answer is the right one when it's obvious enough. ;D There is actually a marked lack of what I'd call compassion in his work that i can't relate to but I think I'll leave the cookbooking for now. I think my particular area of expertise is more untangible anyway.

At the risk of running into a wall in the process of thinking about Nietzsche and the whole functions thing I did actually begin to think about what I was good at since I have such a different "flavor" to the kind of crisp preciseness I get from following the comments on this thread.
    I was thinking back to my late teens/early twenties and how around that time I felt a very strong pull to relate with people. There was a marked change in wanting to connect and I did become very social at the time which was really an outward impression of an inner need to form a kind of an intimate emotional rapport with different types of people and immerse in the vast scale of human experience. It was in some sense like collecting experience and understanding of what it is that goes on in the hearts of us human beings. I still have a vast array of acquaintances from varied walks of life as a result which seems to be unusual compared to most people. That and also being involved with music and performing which is again connecting to the emotional aspect for me.
    I suppose the type of "analysis" that I do is being able to in a way find some key human motivations and gain some kind of an understanding of how we work. Also in relating to people on an emotional level it underlines the similarities we have despite our talents or intellect. It's where we are all equal in a sense. Which does make one compassionate.
    I think if other reported INFJs have a similiar type of experience this skill would particularly come in handy in the areas you need an understanding of people's inner landscapes like counseling, psychology, spiritual professions, crafting believable fictional characters and to be able to move people emotionally as an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    My understanding is that Ni is extremely big picture thinking and so many of the traits associated with it come down to different ways of trying to process what exceeds comprehension. One way to do this is to be open to an overall vague sense of things and waiting for an impulse of thought to crystallize. Another approach is to work to distill ideas down to core concepts which are malleable and able to be reapplied in many contexts. Using metaphor also attempts to capture the incomprehensible. I think Ni requires a lot of time to reflect upon and involves both the conscious and unconscious mind because it is like peering over the precipice and so continually deals with the feeling of clinging to the cliff's edge while becoming willing to let go to the vast uncertainty of reality.

I tend to see people as using Ni based in part on their interests, but even moreso the reasons they are interested in it. I have a lifelong interest in astronomy and psychology because at their core both are incomprehensible. Fully comprehending something makes me feel claustrophobic in idea space, and so I seek out topics without hard boundaries.

This is just my perspective and understanding of the concept.
    The malleability and being able to apply chime true. Once you hone in on a subject matter or collection of experiences different qualities begin to come forth and in a way subconsciously organize into something comprehensible. I write songs so my process is literally starting to notice a set of symbols, articles, pieces of conversation, dreams and other nebulous things. They begin to catch my attention and in time I begin to consciously notice a theme is evolving while I go about my daily business. Usually I look for pictures, find material on things that for some reason begin to interest me, think about some personal experiences people have shared with me and I kind of let them soak in and float around in them like in a pool of water. Then when I'm doing something completely different, like running errands (usually far from any recording devices) a song with lyrics starts playing in my head and It' pretty much done. All I have to do is fill in the blanks and make it physically happen (play, record it). It's not 100% complete but pretty much there.
    At times I start with nothing and fiddle about spinning ideas until something begins to form and that's more "doing" than the other type of composing which is like having a radio begin playing in your head.
    I do know from talking to musicians that most don't "receive head radio transmissions". I've seen my husband compose a song in 5min at a backstage ready to go on and he's an ENFP but he couldn't relate to my description of the way I feel I'm not an active part (logically I know I am, but it doesn't always appear to be so) in the songwriting process sometimes.
    As an adult I find I'm more in command of the process and can direct it to produce results.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I suppose the type of "analysis" that I do is being able to in a way find some key human motivations and gain some kind of an understanding of how we work. Also in relating to people on an emotional level it underlines the similarities we have despite our talents or intellect. It's where we are all equal in a sense. Which does make one compassionate.
    An interesting perspective. I never thought of emotions or personal encounters like this before.

Then when I'm doing something completely different, like running errands (usually far from any recording devices) a song with lyrics starts playing in my head and It' pretty much done. All I have to do is fill in the blanks and make it physically happen (play, record it). It's not 100% complete but pretty much there.
    At times I start with nothing and fiddle about spinning ideas until something begins to form and that's more "doing" than the other type of composing which is like having a radio begin playing in your head.

As an adult I find I'm more in command of the process and can direct it to produce results.
    I do something similar, though I don't compose music (the closest I do is arranging sometimes). The best way for me to control the process is simply to feed it specific inputs. Otherwise usually no amount of direct, intentional fiddling with ideas will yield a satisfactory result. Solutions, plans, designs, etc. appear in my head more or less fully formed, though perhaps a bit sketchy in detail. That's when I can start to tweak them productively.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Yeah, the way I try to be somewhat in control of the process is to somewhat consciously try to initiate it, and see if the dominoes start falling. Then there is a conscious effort to become more aware of the process itself so I myself can respect it's nature and allow space for it. I have been painfully aware of the fact that I worked differently to many of my colleagues and was in fact questioned if I work at all and I myself was confused too. Yet I had results that seemed to pop out of nowhere which also caused some bad blood because I was thought of as inept but coming up with quality work, which was confused with dumb luck. As I couldn't explain how I did things and also had no knowledge of it myself I was unsure wether it was dumb luck or skill. I felt that I worked but didn't know how exactly I worked.
    It's not like there isn't any effort. It's more about exposure and awareness, some form of attentiveness: Making sure I'm exposed to things, observing the objects and feelings arising in my inner landscape and ready for action. A kind of a vigil. .
    I suppose awareness of how it manifests is in some way what I'd call "managing the process" though indirectly. Also trying to have intent at producing.
    ...it's indirect.

Ginkgo

There was a point where I thought Kierkegaard was an INFP because his works were a bit more tangential, open, and his earlier works were pseudonymous. He also concealed much about his personal life with a sociable veneer, all of which suggested a "work behind the scenes" attitude. Now, after listening to a biography that mentioned how he could insert himself into the context of history and fiction, and how he consistently kept his intellect and character rather low-key to appease his father as a child with an inert acceptance that he would die early, I'm more convinced he preferred Ni and Fe; in retrospect, his analyses were very "meta". A "wise child".

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Well, taking mushrooms and other psychedelics has been shown to cause a significant increase in a person's "Openness" score on the Five Factor Model, and that factor is the one correlated with iNtuition, so... it's not too far off.
    How interesting, when I took the BBC's version of the big five I ended up low on everything but neuroticism, which was through the roof.

And I had taken the test in a spirit of optimistic fairness...when I think about it, it comes off as pretty damning of me as a person. Of course it might have been a flaw with how the questions were phrased or asked, or it could have been a flaw with how I answered them, but it is odd that I got such a negative outcome when I was actually optimistic, afterall mood always plays a large part in these tests.

This might suggest im not intuitive at all, an idea which ive always been completely open to, of course I shouldn't be open to it because I scored almost nothing on openess..../minor troll sentence

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Can someone please explain to me how Ni system building works?
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how Ni system building works?
    Ni isn't about building systems anymore than Ne is. Without a judging faculty, perceptions are about as systematic as play-doh. By Ni-Te, one is assumed to develop those perceptions by immediately coming to one's own abstract conclusions about received wisdom before implementing a more personally tailored wisdom in the world. The immediacy of the introverted, intuitive conclusion is reflected in the extraverted intuitive's immediate compulsion for imagining external change.

Ni-Fe... Fe can be systematically understood, but it's not about a rigorous understanding of systems anymore than understanding personal taste. So, Ni-Ti is about immediately coming to one's own abstract conclusions and organizing them with a holistic and rich understanding. However, as a standalone process, Ni-Ti would really only be capable of developing a body of understanding through a psychological "chink", perceiving the world but primarily retaining a sense of its underbelly, while piecemealing it into refined systems.

The former depends on the external world and extends to the external world more than the latter. The former prioritizes more implementation, and the latter prioritizes a cultivation of understanding.