User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 400

Thread: Signs of Ni

  1. #121
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I did not "miss" that part, I just decided not to focus in it.
    Excuse me for expecting you to more robustly deal with the topic.

    Regardless, the reason why I wrote what I did still stands, as it had to do with your "conclusion".

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    What made you assume that I missed that part?
    Because your conclusion was off-base.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I decided to focus on something else because it seemed more interesting and more relevant to me and because I have doubts whether these points are true. Not because I didn't listen or shut myself off to the possibility that they might be true.
    Ok, that's fine, it was your conclusion that was the problem.

    Perhaps it's because you drew a conclusion, and, as a P, you're just not good at that kinda thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    As a good P I take in all the information I can, even if I decide to focus on something else instead.
    Simplistic stereotype.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Maybe situations like this creates that assumption that INTPs don't listen.
    Going off on their own thought-path, and not actually dealing with what their interlocutor said?

    Yes, that is probably one of the reasons INTPs are not generally considered good listeners.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    But if you insist:
    I would have much preferred you actually got my point.

    But if we must go over these once more so that INTPs can accurately see their warts in the mirror, so be it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    1) I think I did covered that one (zon ing in on what needs to be done, more focused on relevence/efficiency)
    The point is that in certain situations it is objectively wrong/stupid to commit this error (i.e., at work, or any situation in which time/resource constraints are a real and major issue). Yes, Te imperatives are being given precedence in these situations, but it's for objective reasons (i.e., the project needs to get done by tomorrow morning, the company needs to be profitable and pay its creditors, the giant boulder is heading right for us!, there's a murderer who's gunna kill us if we can't agree that this fucking light switch turns the goddam, fucking light on!, we're trying to get somewhere on time, or a million other perfectly reasonable situations.)

    And no, there is no acceptable nitpicking allowed here. If you're fucking up these situations due to needless nitpicking, you are a problem, a nuisance, not worthy of breathing the air that should be going to someone else who knows how to cooperate in a productive manner when need be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    2) It looks like misinterpreting to the INTJ who is so focused on hios one solution, but for us it is merely bringing in the wider context which to us is just as relevent
    Once again, I get that that's how it seems to you, and that in some cases what you want to bring up may be worthwhile, but, in many other cases, you are actually objectively wrong and doing nothing but being an annoying nitpicker, because, aside from reasons of efficiency, which were covered in #1 above, perhaps your issues/questions really aren't valuable, either because: a) you don't really know what you're talking about, but, due to your ignorance, these questions seem relevant to you; or b) your interlocutor actually has already considered these issues, and has plenty of accurate and tacit reasons that cover the issues that you're raising (and by raising them, you're just impeding everyone from moving on (yes, efficiency snuck in there, but it was warranted); or c) a placeholder for now, because perhaps there are reasons other than your ignorance of the matter or your questions already having been dealt with that could cause your nitpicking to be pointless. This was the purpose of uumlau's light switch example, and the absurd position of the INTP in it.

    Note (and how ironic that I have to preempt you about this on this specific example, because this is what this example is all about): no, I am not saying that your concerns are never not warranted. I am saying that there are times when they are not warranted and you do them anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    3) I have not observed that behavior in myself or other INTPs IRL or here, not more than in other types, and as I said, a good P takes in information like a sponge
    Ok, well, it was obvious and prevalent enough that Dario Nardi was able to see it using his EEG, and I and others have said that we've seen it plenty, so that's fine that that's your opinion, but I'm saying, objectively, you're wrong.

    *cue you either nitpicking or doing #4, even though you deny you do it*

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    4) I never observed that Fe shaming method. What does happen is that sometimes an NTJ is so abrasive and overconfident...
    (or, seen differently, the NTJ is saying an objective truth in a Te manner that rubs your subjective Ti the wrong way, and, as such, you don't want to accept what he's saying as objectively true, so you reject it as merely being his Fi, and thus start using what's been dubbed as Fe "shaming methods"...) (and, once again, because you make this necessary due to #2: no, I'm not saying all TJs are always right, and that this is thus always the case.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    ...that inferior Fe shales its head and assumes that this must be Fi at play, or Ni + Fi which seems to translate as "I am right, I just know it, just trust me on this one and screw the rest of you" - we can not imagine how somebody could be so overconfident because improvisation and remaining doubts are parts of the Ti-Ne version of intellectual integrity. At least that's how I perceive it and how I have heard other NTPs describe it.
    Oh, so you mean, exactly what uumlau described?

    Except that you tried to emphasize that your Fe judgment is correct because it happens when a TJ, declaring objective truths in a Te manner, is abrasive and overconfident?

    Interesting how it works out that way...

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    What makes you think that I do not see the INTPs weaknesses just because I did not immediately adress all of these points directly?
    My issue with what you said was that you made a very wishy-washy, flabbily relativistic conclusion that basically said -- well, actually, you specifically said this -- "the weakness is in the eye of the beholder".

    My point was that, no, the weakness is not simply in the eye of the beholder, it's actually an objective weakness.

    And then each of the four points I made pointed to why these were objective, not simply subjective, criticisms.

    1. Not realizing what the situation itself calls for (for which I used your examples of work an engineering).
    2. Misinterpreting what an INTJ is saying, by bringing in unrelated information that had nothing to do with what they were intending to say, and thus botching the communication (uumlau's lightbulb example, or what is generally just known as "INTP nitpicking").
    3. For being bad listeners (so much so that it has been empirically verified by Dario Nardi in his lab).
    4. For attempting to use Fe shaming methods when Te rubs them the wrong way.


    Those are not simply subjective "oh, it's in the eye of the beholder" criticisms.

    I'm not saying that similar such criticisms can arise for which subjectivity can enter into the picture, or that subjectivity never plays any role in any of these things (the fact that I even have to mention this, of course, has to do with your guys problem with #2), nor am I saying no other type has problems, and even problems similar to these (they do -- note: once again needing to preempt your #2). But these are problems that others, here, mostly INTJs, are specifically saying about INTPs, that are not simply subjective, but objective, and you might as well try to consider them as such (which, once again, needing to shut down your #2 problem before it starts: I'm not saying you haven't necessarily done this at all).

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    We have loads of weaknesses like any other type. But with your premature assumptions you just illustrated that much of what you accuse NTPs of applies to you guys as well if not more
    Actually, this is you just doing #2 again.

    You just can't help from #2ing all over the place, can you?

    (and yes, I realize that you qualified your conclusion with "you might say", my point is that, no, with those four criticisms, you would be wrong if you were to say that. they are objective criticisms. not subjective. and, as such, they're not subject to wishy-washy, flabbily relativistic bullshit, either.)

  2. #122
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Once again, I get that that's how it seems to you, but, in some cases, you are objectively wrong and creating a problem by doing so (that was the purpose of uumlau's example, and the absurd position of the INTP in it).
    tl;dr

    You didn't get uumlau's example btw
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

  3. #123
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I noticed you didn't say anything about my ISTJ story. Is that because ISTJ bashing is acceptable practice, as is nitpicking about INTP nitpicking, but INTJ bashing is not acceptable?
    You have it backwards. The ISTJ was cracking a joke at your expense.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  4. #124
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    tl;dr

    You didn't get uumlau's example btw
    Yeah, the INTP isn't wrong in my example, just coming at things from a very different angle.

    FWIW, INTJs are totally capable of playing the same game. I'm using a roommate I had for several years as source material. The light bulb example comes up in several forms, but mostly it was more humorous and playful. E.g., I'd say the switch turns the light on, he'd say, no it turns it on and off, and I'd in turn reply, "Ah, but you're wrong, it turns it on, if and only if the light is off, and turns it off if and only if the light is off. If it only turns it on when it's on, or off when it's off, then it's a null op, and the switch likely isn't connected."

    Where it becomes an issue/aggravation for the INTJ is when there is work to be done, a task to be completed, and only so much time to dally upon the technical intricacies and humor.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  5. #125
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Yeah, the INTP isn't wrong in my example, just coming at things from a very different angle.

    FWIW, INTJs are totally capable of playing the same game. I'm using a roommate I had for several years as source material. The light bulb example comes up in several forms, but mostly it was more humorous and playful. E.g., I'd say the switch turns the light on, he'd say, no it turns it on and off, and I'd in turn reply, "Ah, but you're wrong, it turns it on, if and only if the light is off, and turns it off if and only if the light is off. If it only turns it on when it's on, or off when it's off, then it's a null op, and the switch likely isn't connected."

    Where it becomes an issue/aggravation for the INTJ is when there is work to be done, a task to be completed, and only so much time to dally upon the technical intricacies and humor.
    Agreed. That is why I said that in situations like that I would ask an NTJ for help.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  6. #126
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    tl;dr


    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    You didn't get uumlau's example btw
    Actually, I did, I just take it one step further than he does.

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Yeah, the INTP isn't wrong in my example, just coming at things from a very different angle.
    See, I'm willing to call it objectively wrong/problematic behavior.

    One circumstance in which it is wrong/problematic is when, as you say later...

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    ...there is work to be done, a task to be completed, and only so much time to dally upon the technical intricacies and humor.
    ...and that happens to comprise a lot of the situations we find ourselves in while living on this planet.

    It also, though, as others pointed out before (Coriolis, I think), is just stupid on the part of the INTP.

    It's assuming that the INTJ is wrong, and this only makes sense in a context in which the INTJ is actually intending to give some full and complete statement of everything the light switch does (in this case, it's not even everything, really, though, as there are plenty of other things one could say about that stupid light switch as well), and, since that's not what the INTJ was ever intending to do, to evaluate his statement based on that rubric is dumb. It is actually important to understand another person in their own words, with the intents and purposes they had in mind, and to not just overlay your concerns onto theirs, and then judge them based on it. In that example, that's what the INTP is doing. The INTJ, on the other hand, is not. Once the INTP piped up and said, "It turns it on and off", the INTJ wouldn't have said, "Nu-uh! You can only talk about it in the way that I'm talking about it!" But that is precisely the behavior that the INTP was engaging in the whole time. And it's why nitpicking is so stupid. An INTP's interlocutor isn't necessarily trying to have a discussion that exhausts every single aspect of the matter being discussed, nor, as I said earlier, one that requires a formal proof, with every definition explicitly delineated, and every logical deduction explicitly drawn out. And to nitpick is essentially to force such a discussion on your interlocutor, which, along with evaluating your interlocutor's statements based on a rubric upon which they never intended their statements to be evaluated, would be another reason why such behavior is objectively wrong/problematic.

  7. #127
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Just use your J powers and cut the fat.


    Actually, I did, I just take it one step further than he does.
    Nope, see above, and get over it.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

  8. #128
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Just use your J powers and cut the fat.
    Nah, I'm just fine with it as it is.

    I genuinely don't give a shit whether you read it or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Nope, see above, and get over it.
    Same goes for here.

    Here, though, you fail to see that I understand uumlau's example exactly as he intended it.

    It is common for uumlau to express his examples as such, and for me to get his point, but have my own point in addition to it.

    It is not, as you wrongly assume, a missing of his point; it is, in my opinion, a going further; I don't care for the relativism of it all.

  9. #129
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I don't care for the relativism of it all.
    Because you simply don't get it, but won't admit. No point in your posting at all then.
    As for uumlau, I'd rather ask him what he actually meant (though, again again, see above) than rely on your stubborn twisting of words, or, as you call it, 'going further'. You don't even realize that you're engaging in the same sort of 'relativism' you're accusing others of.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

  10. #130
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Because you simply don't get it, but won't admit.
    Actually, you're just wrong.

    And, as you don't actually understand what I mean, you seem to be engaging in #3.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    As for uumlau, I'd rather ask him what he actually meant (though, again again, see above) than rely on your stubborn twisting of words, or, as you call it, 'going further'. You don't even realize that you're engaging in the same sort of 'relativism' you're accusing others of.
    Actually, this statement is so full of shit it's hilarious.

    This is the first time I've ever had a discussion with you, so forgive me for being confident that you don't really know shit about how I think.

Similar Threads

  1. Is anger a sign of righteousness?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
  2. Literary Examples of Ni
    By Domino in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM
  3. [Ni] The pain of Ni in a male INFJ
    By nzAShadow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM
  4. Tell-Tale Signs of the Types
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO