User Tag List

Thread: Type 3 & INFP?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Type 3 & INFP?

Would this combination be possible?
    I have realized that I am extremely image-conscious around others.
    I will often say and do things which I think people will like me for- playing it smart that way.
    However, I have recently learned that is something certain people are annoyed with- specifically, some of my closer friends in college.
    A part of me is afraid to 'be myself' because I fear that people will reject me if I do so, I fear that people will find reasons to dislike me and stop wanting to be with me.
    I don't have much self-confidence as it is. I guess my question is from what I have said: is a Type 3w4 INFP possible or is this 4w3 INFP or something else?

MBTI
    INFP

From Riso:

The combination of Four and three traits produce a subtype which is both emotionally volitile and contradictory. (This is true for the Three with a Four-wing as well) While the two component types may on the surface appear to be opposites, they have much in common, and if properly used can do much to offset some of their individual weaknesses. Fours are often introverted, withdrawn, and self-abslorbed, whereas Threes Tend to be extroverted, interpersonal, and goal-oriented. The Fours's fear of exposing itself (in a sense, the "fear of success") is the opposite of the Three's self display and competitive desire for success. The Four's intoverted self-consciousness constrasts with the Three's charm and other extroverted social skills. As conflicting as these two component types are, both are nevertheless concerned with self-image and self-esteem issues. Fours tend to develop a self-image which is largely a private matter. Fours are trying to become their self-image through their imagination and feelings. Threes develop a more public self-image and try to get others to validate its reality through their achievements. Both opposing sets of traits can coexist in the same person, although uneasily...

Because of the Three-wing, healthy people of this subtype can be sociable, ambitious, and accomplished, particularly in the arts: they possess both creativity and the drive to "make their mark". They are in touch with who they are and who they are becoming, but with a more extraverted, energetic dimension to them. In general, Fours tend to be private and not particulary action-oriented, but with a healthy Three-wing, this impulse is tempered by a desire to accomplich and to improve the self. To do this, Fours with a Three-wing know that they must produce, and that they must be involved with people. Thus the Three-wing tends to be more goal-oriented, sociable, and aware of interpersonal "politics" than the Five-wing. Healthy Fours with a Three wing want to be successful, but distinctive, and are willing to put in the necessary work to actualize their dreams. Both subtypes can be highly creative, but the Four with a Three-wing is more aware of creating with an audience in mind. They are adaptable, sensitive to others, and have a good sense of humour.

cheers,
    Ian

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

4w3 sounds pretty accurate, :-)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    4w3 sounds pretty accurate, :-)
    That might be a possibility.

I think "normal" Three mirrorness is more based on wanting to build up the self through achievements and other external superficial things (I could see ESxP doing this sort of thing), whereas the INFP is mirroring via different principles and there's more going on inside.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

I support the possibility, seeing as I relate strongly to both descriptions. As an INFP, I have strong sense of my ideal self. Consistant with (fours), I see myself as a work of art in progress. The path to my ideals -- my blossoming -- is through achievement and, admittedly, forms of prestige, which is the primary focus for (threes.)
    "Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"